Burnley v. Brighton & Hove Albion (Official Thread)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Good comeback. Shape all wrong in the first half. You can't play 5 at the back with one man up front for the opposition. You surrender midfield and are vulnerbale to good breaks. Our strikers got no service at all in first half.

The switch to 4-4-2 saved us, rejuvenated Reid created goal from midfield. Hammond, who bareley had a kick in the first half, different player. And Jake a livewire.

Looks like Blayney was MOTM.

Great stuff Mark McGhee - showed again, as all season, that his tactical changes and switches are saving us this season.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
i cant see where Cardiff are going to pick points up from, Leicster, Reading, Gillingham, QPR

Maybe Gills, and maybe Leicster, but i think ultimately i think Cardiff could be the ones who decide our fate

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
I really think now, if we manage 4 points from the next 3, we will stay up. This alot due to Crewe v Coventry on the last day.

WE ARE STAYING UP...

Team P Pts Goals
Diff Goal
Scored Current
Score
Sunderland 42 84 32 69 _
Wigan 43 82 42 75 2-0 FT v Leicester
Ipswich 42 79 25 76 _
Preston 43 74 12 64 3-0 FT v Cardiff
Derby 42 70 12 64 _
Reading 43 70 12 49 1-0 FT v Nottm Forest
West Ham 42 66 9 60 1-1 FT v Millwall
Sheff Utd 43 66 4 55 _
Millwall 43 59 4 48 1-1 FT v West Ham
Leeds 43 58 -1 48 1-1 v QPR
Stoke 42 58 -1 34 2-0 FT v Plymouth
QPR 42 58 -2 52 1-1 v Leeds
Wolverhampton 43 57 8 64 2-2 FT v Coventry
Burnley 42 53 -4 34 1-1 FT v Brighton
Plymouth 43 51 -10 51 0-2 FT v Stoke
Leicester 41 49 1 44 0-2 FT v Wigan
Watford 43 48 -7 50 1-0 FT v Rotherham
Coventry 43 48 -15 53 2-2 FT v Wolverhampton
Gillingham 43 48 -19 42 1-1 FT v Crewe
Crewe 43 47 -15 63 1-1 FT v Gillingham
Cardiff 42 46 -6 43 0-3 FT v Preston
Brighton 43 46 -26 36 1-1 FT v Burnley
Nottm Forest 43 40 -24 38 0-1 FT v Reading
Rotherham 43 28 -31 35 0-1 FT v Watford
legation

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just spoke to a mate at the game.

1st half - worst he's seen us play this season

2nd half - best he's seen us play this season

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:
Good comeback. Shape all wrong in the first half. You can't play 5 at the back with one man up front for the opposition. You surrender midfield and are vulnerbale to good breaks. Our strikers got no service at all in first half.

The switch to 4-4-2 saved us, rejuvenated Reid created goal from midfield. Hammond, who bareley had a kick in the first half, different player. And Jake a livewire.

Looks like Blayney was MOTM.

Great stuff Mark McGhee - showed again, as all season, that his tactical changes and switches are saving us this season.

Notice that with Virgo at the back we didnt look like conceeding any goals other than the missed header by El Abd and no manager can account for individual mistakes. According to SCR we were much better when Robinson came on for McCammon same again next week as we finished and we will be OK against West Ham.

No Dolan thank God.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
pasty said:
Just spoke to a mate at the game.

1st half - worst he's seen us play this season

2nd half - best he's seen us play this season

I heard the same. Jakey being the difference.

BensGrandad said:
Notice that with Virgo at the back we didnt look like conceeding any goals other than the missed header by El Abd and no manager can account for individual mistakes. According to SCR we were much better when Robinson came on for McCammon same again next week as we finished and we will be OK against West Ham.

No Dolan thank God.

Yeah, we didn't concede any goals, except for the one we conceded. Story of the last few games I think :)

The formation was the key thing today. One player can't make a difference to how the other 10 play, but put them in better positions to exploit the opposition's weaknesses, then they will all play better.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:

The formation was the key thing today. One player can't make a difference to how the other 10 play, but put them in better positions to exploit the opposition's weaknesses, then they will all play better.

I was told that McPhee played better when Jake was on*. They've played together in the reserves quite a bit so probably know each other's game well.
(*phone call from a mate)

KinkyGoebels said:
No they key was when Mcghee took that waste of space Mccammon off.

The 3-5-2 worked a treat, didn't it Kinky - thank god we stuck with it!

Yep, not Big Mac's day - if other players like Jake and McPhee have edged ahead of him now, then that's great, but it's as stupid to write off Big Mac as it is Leon, both will play their parts in the remaining three games.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yorkie said:
I heard the same. Jakey being the difference.

Thirded from my eye witness at the game today!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
The 3-5-2 worked a treat, didn't it Kinky - thank god we stuck with it!

Yep, not Big Mac's day - if other players like Jake and McPhee have edged ahead of him now, then that's great, but it's as stupid to write off Big Mac as it is Leon, both will play their parts in the remaining three games.

He is such a good squad player that he is currently walking home from Burnley

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports