Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley (Home) - fans of the Clarets not keen then?!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I believe there have only been 3 away PL attendances at the Amex that failed to reach 4 figures (outside of the pandemic matches, obviously).

They are, in date order:-

Feb 9 2019 - Burnley 837 away fans
Sep 14 2019 - Burnley 963
Feb 19 2022 - Burnley 896
Probably terrified if they come here they’ll all catch “the gay”

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Yet they'll still be noisier than us.

He’s only gone and said it
IMG_2866.jpeg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm still haunted by that 0-3 defeat the other season. Beyond the result, it was raining, the Bobkin Jnrs weren't there and I broke a bit of my tooth on one of the pies.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Wasn't it last season they did us 0-3 AND it was pissing with rain? You'd think they'd be gagging for this one...
The season before I think – when they went down in the end. Dyche again!

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
A vile little club with a fairly large section of extremely unpleasant fans, as was exposed following that whole Bong / Rodriguez affair. I was genuinely disappointed when they bounced back up last season. I sincerely hope we can help them and their 750 travelling fans on their way back down to the second division, where I can once again forget that they even exist outside of ITV4.
Seems way OTT, and a bit snobbish. They're a small but significant club with a more glorious history than Brighton. I’ve been to Turf Moor just once, when I went with a Huddersfield-supporting mate to watch them in some cup competition. I was living in Leeds at the time. This was about 30 years ago and things may have changed, but I loved the atmosphere in the ground and the authenticity of the stadium and fans. We had a few beers in a local working men’s club before the game. Yes, it was like living in a sitcom for a couple of hours but I love that feeling. Many people seem to look down their noses at traditional working class people on lower incomes, and those perceived as less sophisticated than we are. Sounds patronising, so I apologise for that, but I feel a bit sorry for Burnley and their fans. It’s a small club, massively overshadowed by the big Manchester and Liverpool clubs yet they’ve managed to hold their own (more or less) for much of their history. I don’t hope they get relegated but they need to start winning the odd match to have any chance of survival. I suspect their owners may splash a bit of cash in the new year.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Burnley's a shithole of about 70k racist and homophobic oddballs stuck in the 70s, just north of Manchester and Liverpool and with about host of other football league clubs within close proximity. Cut them some slack!
Edited for you.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Seems way OTT, and a bit snobbish. They're a small but significant club with a more glorious history than Brighton. I’ve been to Turf Moor just once, when I went with a Huddersfield-supporting mate to watch them in some cup competition. I was living in Leeds at the time. This was about 30 years ago and things may have changed, but I loved the atmosphere in the ground and the authenticity of the stadium and fans. We had a few beers in a local working men’s club before the game. Yes, it was like living in a sitcom for a couple of hours but I love that feeling. Many people seem to look down their noses at traditional working class people on lower incomes, and those perceived as less sophisticated than we are. Sounds patronising, so I apologise for that, but I feel a bit sorry for Burnley and their fans. It’s a small club, massively overshadowed by the big Manchester and Liverpool clubs yet they’ve managed to hold their own (more or less) for much of their history. I don’t hope they get relegated but they need to start winning the odd match to have any chance of survival. I suspect their owners may splash a bit of cash in the new year.
Vincent Kompany seems quite likeable too ….

Seecider

Apr 25, 2009
Edited for you.
Turf Moor is the only ground that I've taken my Mrs to. Great to be in a real old fashioned stadium in and old fashioned football town.

My Mrs was appalled by the vitriol and vile abuse directed towards the ref. We were in the away end.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s nothing to do with looking down on working class. You’re not the only Brighton fan who has lived up north, so,don't assume we are all middle class southern softies.
Burnley was the first town to vote BNP, and have a lot of bigots living there. The Rodriguez v Bong incident happened at West Brom, and was not proven but Burnley fans piled in on us calling Bong a liar, because Rodriguez was ‘one of their own’.
It wasn’t a not guilty verdict so there is no suggestion that Gaetan lied.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
You've not read any of Easy 10's posts before then? :lolol:
Probably, I don’t know. But thanks for the warning.

Look, I may have gone over the top myself in my last post. If so, I apologise. But the hypocrisy winds me up. It’s really not nice for people of any sort to caricature Brighton as a junkie-infested luvvie town, and all Brighton fans as gay, over-entitled, leftie, woke, metropolitan elite southern softies blah blah blah. I 100% get that. But for some idiots to get their retaliation by caricaturing (in this case) Burnley and all Burnley fans/residents as racist homophobes IS NO BETTER.

Just freakin' stop it people (sorry, some people). You can’t lambast bigoted behaviour by behaving in a bigoted fashion yourself. You totally cede the moral high ground.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
It’s nothing to do with looking down on working class. You’re not the only Brighton fan who has lived up north, so,don't assume we are all middle class southern softies.
Burnley was the first town to vote BNP, and have a lot of bigots living there. The Rodriguez v Bong incident happened at West Brom, and was not proven but Burnley fans piled in on us calling Bong a liar, because Rodriguez was ‘one of their own’.
It wasn’t a not guilty verdict so there is no suggestion that Gaetan lied.

Never forget

IMG_8629.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here