Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley face competition from Wolves for Ashley Barnes

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
£750k or £0 at the end of the season. Hmmm. I wonder what the FFP-loving Albion will do!? That is, of course, unless Ash signs his contract extension.

Hmm, who are you going to replace him with and GUARANTEE that he'll be as useful. 750k is peanuts in the grand scheme of getting to the Premier League, check with Palace fans about Dobbie, oh how we laughed...foolishly. Absolute madness to sell him if we haven't got a ready made better replacement, which is highly unlikely.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
£750k or £0 at the end of the season. Hmmm. I wonder what the FFP-loving Albion will do!? That is, of course, unless Ash signs his contract extension.

Did we buy him from Plymouth for £300K ? Argyle would have insisted on a sell-on clause I imagine so a percentage of the profit if we sell him would go to Home Park.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Did we buy him from Plymouth for £300K ? Argyle would have insisted on a sell-on clause I imagine so a percentage of the profit if we sell him would go to Home Park.

Think it was more like 60k

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

If he goes for free then we'll need to replace him and how much would that cost? Whereas we take the money now and use it and add to it and get someone better then surely that makes sense due to FFP.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Various figures reported, between 60k and 120k (£300k was for Noone). Fairly confident that there is no sell-on, as Plymouth needed maximum cash up front.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Kevin Phillips rumoured to be going to Wolves ( near his family's home)
Can't see them signing Barnes as well.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What if Barnes refuses to leave and stays put and waits till the summer?

'Refuses to leave'? I think you mean 'decides to stay'.

There's more to running the football club than a quick dirty profit. The fact that the club doesn't want to sell him says to me he figures in the plans for our promotion push. Supposing he was the catalyst in getting us promotion, what would a quick buck at the cost of a promotion push be worth then?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I thought Barnes and Noone both came to us for roughly the same fee , I might be wrong but any reference to what we actually paid for them seems to have gone from t'internet as all proper sources now say they were undisclosed fees.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Kevin Phillips rumoured to be going to Wolves ( near his family's home)
Can't see them signing Barnes as well.

Barnes will only go to Wolves if they can also sign the recently released Blades striker Marlon King. King and Barnes up front for Wolves would be a sure-fire winner.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Surely this is a very obvious play by his agent. Probably doesn't want to go, but hold out on the contract and when teams start bidding he can angle for another couple of grand a week from us to stay.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Where is this better striker than Ashley Barnes for £750k (less fees) that you speak of?

Exactly. Would be a big mistake to let him go unless we have someone better to take his place and I just can't see who that would be - strong, defensive play good, lays the ball off well. Doesn't score as many as he should - but still finding the net, so that bit could improve. In his short time on the pitch yesterday he did more of value than Leo did in his 90 mins (not to say I don't think Leo is good you understand).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The only possible reason i can see for accepting an offer for Barnes is if he has made it clear that he is not staying in the summer.We couldn't buy a realistic replacement for under £ 1.5M.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Hmm, who are you going to replace him with and GUARANTEE that he'll be as useful. 750k is peanuts in the grand scheme of getting to the Premier League, check with Palace fans about Dobbie, oh how we laughed...foolishly. Absolute madness to sell him if we haven't got a ready made better replacement, which is highly unlikely.

We haven't got a ready-made replacement and we won't get one. But that's missing the point. £750k is £750k, zero pounds is zero pounds, and we ARE seeking to comply with FFP.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Where is this better striker than Ashley Barnes for £750k (less fees) that you speak of?

Where is this better striker at £0 that we will get in the summer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here