Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burke on his way out? Update: Gone

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Anyone ever gone to a supporters club meeting or something and spoken to him or heard him talk?

These two interviews were enough for me

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16985004

Talks a good game though and I can understand how Bloom was taken with him. If only half of how says he operates were implemented, leaves me wondering how the likes of Agustein, Obika, Lita and COG ever got a foot inside the Amex.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Burke needs to go, along with Jones. Pawns to be sacrificed to allow the appointment of a decent and experienced manager. This manager will (rightly) insist on bringing in their own backroom team, and rightly so. No more 'yes men' Tony. We just can't afford to **** this appointment up.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Mark Warburton said on talkSPORT this morning that Gray arrived way off the pace technically and physically but has made massive improvements in both areas. So you just have to see something.

You have to know what type of person they are. I thought that is one thing that DB said was important when looking at players. That is why the biggest black mark against him was Agustein. We were told what he was like by other supporters when he signed - and he fulfilled that and more. That was a player who should never have got anywhere near our club.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Burke needs to go, along with Jones. Pawns to be sacrificed to allow the appointment of a decent and experienced manager. This manager will (rightly) insist on bringing in their own backroom team, and rightly so. No more 'yes men' Tony. We just can't afford to **** this appointment up.

I'm inclined to agree with this. If we want to attract a very good and experienced manager, they will insist on control of transfers and their own backroom team. That leaves no place for Burke (although I don't have the vindictive attitude to him that some do on here) and possibly Jones, although he could move to another coaching job possibly.

The question that remains unanswered about our summer signings (and will always be unanswered) is did Bloom give Burke more budget and he thought the players he brought in were up to it or did Bloom not want to spend more money and Burke did the best he could with the resources he had. I also think Hyypia didn't make the most of our summer signings with McCourt, Holla and Baldock all starting well and then fading and who knows what's happened with Toko. Maybe under a new manager, he might get a game!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That is why the biggest black mark against him was Agustein. We were told what he was like by other supporters when he signed - and he fulfilled that and more. That was a player who should never have got anywhere near our club.

And Agustien was meant to be the creative midfield replacement for Vicente :nono:

Actually, on reflection, and in light of this, Burke must go NOW.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm inclined to agree with this. If we want to attract a very good and experienced manager, they will insist on control of transfers and their own backroom team. That leaves no place for Burke (although I don't have the vindictive attitude to him that some do on here) and possibly Jones, although he could move to another coaching job possibly.

The question that remains unanswered about our summer signings (and will always be unanswered) is did Bloom give Burke more budget and he thought the players he brought in were up to it or did Bloom not want to spend more money and Burke did the best he could with the resources he had. I also think Hyypia didn't make the most of our summer signings with McCourt, Holla and Baldock all starting well and then fading and who knows what's happened with Toko. Maybe under a new manager, he might get a game!

I believe Tony when he says this is the most expensive squad we have assembled (presumably, in terms of wages). With this in mind, I place the blame for our mediocre (in terms of talent assembled) squad firmly at the feet of Burke. Sami, of course, turning our mid-table squad into budding relegation candidates (prior to his resignation).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I believe Tony when he says this is the most expensive squad we have assembled (presumably, in terms of wages). With this in mind, I place the blame for our mediocre (in terms of talent assembled) squad firmly at the feet of Burke. Sami, of course, turning our mid-table squad into budding relegation candidates (prior to his resignation).

I don't believe Tony. Do you really think, he was letting us sign a bunch of League One players, on more money than what we let go (because apparently they were high earners) without even questioning it? Or do you think Bloom was happily writing big cheques thinking a bunch of relegated championship players and League One superstars was the way forward?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
And Agustien was meant to be the creative midfield replacement for Vicente :nono:

To be fair how can you replace such a player, he was probably the most talented player ever to sign for the Albion. Neigh on impossible task replacing such a gifted player.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Or do you think Bloom was happily writing big cheques thinking a bunch of relegated championship players and League One superstars was the way forward?

To be fair, we didn't just sign a bunch of Championship or League One players. Colunga came from the top flight in Spain (even Ulloa only came from the second division), and Holla came from the top flight in Holland. Then we have several Premier League players on loan, for whom I'd bet we're paying a fair chunk of the wages - we could easily be paying £10k a week for each of Darren Bent, Joe Bennett, Gardner & Teixeira. Then on top of that, there are our own players like Lewis Dunk who have signed new contracts that will have included hefty pay-rises since Poyet's days.

I'm not saying we should be paying all that money to all those players - but I don't think it's that impossible that we are.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I don't believe Tony. Do you really think, he was letting us sign a bunch of League One players, on more money than what we let go (because apparently they were high earners) without even questioning it? Or do you think Bloom was happily writing big cheques thinking a bunch of relegated championship players and League One superstars was the way forward?

Hold on, are you saying that Bloom employs a guy who is supposed to be advising the club chairman and manager on players that will strengthen the squad and take them forward.Then Bloom turns down who he wants to bring in so he goes out finds cheaper options? Surely if Burke has any boll*cks at all, he would just turn round and say to Bloom, I am sorry I just can't improve the squad on this budget. And if he was a man at all and could not do the job within the budget given him, he would fall on his sword Hyypia like. So you are saying that not only is Bloom a liar, but also everything is Blooms fault?
For what it is worth I think Bloom was happy signing cheques for players that his expert was recommending and that expert has let him down or just has no boll*cks to tell his boss the truth.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

I think he delegated a budget, which was mis-spent by Burke.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I was told before the Spurs match that there was a lot of dissatisfaction about recruitment at the highest levels of the club. This wouldn't surprise me in the slightest

Is that dissatisfaction at the recruitment of Barber and his ilk OR dissatisfaction regarding player recruitment expressed by Barber and his ilk?

Both seem reasonable to me

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You see, Tony is the chairman. He sets strategy, budget et al, but he employs people like Burke to manage different aspects of the club. In this case, recruitment is a key responsibility of Burke, not Tony, not Barber, or anyone else. Burke has failed to carry out his duties effectively. He must go. Him being shown the door also clears the decks for an experienced manager (who will want a bigger say in recruitment than, for example, Sami); an experienced manager is exactly what we need to get out of the mess Sami and, to a lesser extent (IMHO), Burke has created.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I don't think you can separate these things neatly to individuals. I've always assumed Burke is given a budget and has ceilings for what can be offered in terms of purchase price, salary, appearance money and all the other add on bollocks.

So he has to work within parameters set by - presumably - Bloom and Barber. He presumably sources potential signings based on these parameters, but also based on what the manager wants; i e 'I want a 6'6" striker built like a brick shit-house'; or 'I want a list of forwards who run around a lot and are all under 6' 0" '; or whatever. So he goes off, uses the recruitment team the scouts and whatever else, then says to Bloom, Barber and the Manager, 'well, with the budget you gave me and the player spec you want, I think we can afford a, b, c, d and e; but unless you want to blow the budget x, y and z are way out of our league'.

IF that is the way it works the 3 'B's are all in this together, although it doesn't answer the 'well why didn't we do due diligence on that lazy ******* Agustien' question. Unless we thought despite his "issues" his potential meant he was worth a gamble.

So, personally, I'm not in the Burke out camp, but that doesn't mean the way the set up works shouldn't be looked at again.

daveyboy1973

Feb 5, 2010
bexleyheath
Does anyone genuinely believe pullis/sherwood or any manager of that calibre will actually come here under the current set up? Poyet saw it coming, Garcia was in the middle of it and HYYPIA couldn't cope with it!! A manager should choose who his players are not someone else!! If they continue with the current set up then only people at a lower level or people with no experience will come here!!! Bloom has an opportunity now to change a few things off the pitch then hopefully we'll get it right on the pitch!!! Blooms next move is arguably his most important since taking over, I would hate to think what being relegated would do to the club financially....... Over to you Mr bloom.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

What makes that worse is out of Burke's own mouth he states due to FFP wages for players are falling and they are down by up to 25%. So therefore his budget should have gone further than previous seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7lOGdYzv0U

About 1:30 of the interview

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

In fairness to Burke, Agustien has been the perfect replacement for the always injured Vicente. :fishing:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here