Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Burgess Hill Municipal Tip - Heads Up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've been there recently on a few Tuesdays or Wednesdays around 3.00 pm. Never had to queue before. I live in Brighton so normally use Wilson Avenue, but I'm helping a friend do her garden in Burgess Hill. The staff at the BH tip are the most helpful ever. They've currently suspended the having to show I.D. for where you live.

Yep, use it all the time (live less than a mile away). Only real queues tend to be at the weekends when the weather is ok, otherwise unlikely to queue. Staff are brilliant - half the time when you’re in the process of unloading your boot, you get back to your car for the next armful and they’ve already taken what’s left.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yep, use it all the time (live less than a mile away). Only real queues tend to be at the weekends when the weather is ok, otherwise unlikely to queue. Staff are brilliant - half the time when you’re in the process of unloading your boot, you get back to your car for the next armful and they’ve already taken what’s left.

Last week, I took twenty 18"x18" paving slabs there. I was struggling to take one at a time from the car to the skip. One of the tip staff, not a lot of him, stood there whilst his mate loaded him up - with five slabs!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Maresfield (Uckfield) was steady on Wednesday. No queues but almost full of cars. Everyone joking about wives getting husbands to do 'small' jobs.
Reminds me of the jobsworth at Maresfield a few years back. We had new carpets fitted and needed to dispose of the old ones. I had a large van at the time so loaded it up and, armed with receipts for the new carpet, went to the tip. Refused entry, not because of the load but because I was a trade vehicle (but not carpets). So went home and got the car. Drove the car and van to the tip and proceeded to put the carpet from the van into the boot of the car and drove the 10 yards to the tip, one driving and one walking along behind holding the carpet. Took a while but they allowed it!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Funny how the different tips have different staff..

Eastbourne : Their staff rule book is personally signed 'Best Wishes, A. Hitler'

Hailsham : Nice bunch. Don't take the p*ss and we won't get involved. I like that approach.

Heathfield : You could wheel in fifteen barrels of depleted uranium and they wouldn't give you a second look.

Maresfield - A couple of Hitler's belligerently and loudly jumping to wrong conclusions that you're about to use the wrong skip, met with the same tone and volume. Also wild accusations that you're dumping commercial waste, when you're not e.g. a small home printer.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Great thread. My favorite is East Grinstead, not the biggest but definitely the most helpful staff.
Burgess and Maresfield are decent.
Least favorite is hop oast in Horsham.

I work nearby do l so tried to go on my lunchbreak, 45 minute queue :facepalm:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Last week, I took twenty 18"x18" paving slabs there. I was struggling to take one at a time from the car to the skip. One of the tip staff, not a lot of him, stood there whilst his mate loaded him up - with five slabs!

You should have said something, I could have used those !

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
To save on fuel, don’t load up and attempt to take to Burgess Hill waste recycling site on a Thursday before the 30th

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well the staff at the Burgess Hill facility seem eminently more helpful than their Horsham counterparts. Whichever skip l choose to dispose of my rubbish in, seems to be the wrong one.

Not exactly a friendly bunch to do business with.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I had the West Sussex ID issue at Worthing tip a week ago, but thankfully the useful man (in gloves and mask) suggested I showed him my address on the Amazon app and then let me in. Decent customer service.

Is it really a major problem that people from other areas are using the tip? Not sure what they are trying to stop?

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
I remember the good old days before recycling* and individual bays at Lancing/Sompting tip. Basically a huge pile of 'stuff', with great fun to be had as a kid seeing how far you could luzz stuff up the pile and if you could break stuff on impact. Happy days.

* Recycling is good of course!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
You should have said something, I could have used those !
I could have given them to you at Wolves!
I've got about 20 grey 900mm x 600mm x 50mm pavement stylee slabs to get rid of next. If anyone wants them, just PM me. You'll have to collect them yourself - they are super heavy!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Anyone have info on tips in the better half of the county? Likely to be open tomorrow?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here