Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bungling Brighton Boost Palace Promotion Hopes

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
fair enough there mate ..just seen he's 39...........:wrong: on a more interesting note that Habibou chap we were looking at has landed on loan at Dirty Filthy Leeds.???

I believe he was actually purchased by the Leeds United hospitality and catering department who thought they were buying a consignment of sweets :lol:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
He's gone on out loan, our choice, but he is still our player! How does that make him a Judas!?

He played for us and now went off to Palace !! Id ignore saying hes ours, the only reason it isnt a permanent transfer is the 3 club rule and the club have already said he will move there for good in the Summer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
why not.....is he suspended ,injured or is he sulking cos actually villa , norwich or citeh didn't put an offer in for him...???

Or better, sulking because Palace told him they wouldn't be selling him regardless :lolol:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Should never have bought him in, that is the big mistake here.

Looks that way doesn't it. Seems reasonably effective scoring from around the edge of the box and clearly has a good shot on him.

The best comparison I can make is with Craig Davies, who we bought in and let go very quickly. You could see Davies had some skill and guile to his game, but couldn't hit the target for us. For Dobbie we have seen a couple of nice finishes, but nothing to suggest that his overall game is really adding anything to the team.

Not sure anyone has made this point, but it is worth considering team morale here. Footballers like everyone else expect their top earning colleagues to pull their weight. I don't suppose too many will be sorry to see him shipped out, given his wages to contribution ratio.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think you are wrong. It is by no means certain that another club would have wanted to take on Dobbie and the liabilities that came with that. He clearly flattered to deceive and Gus has called time early. Palace are a club in the position to take advantage of this as they suddenly have cash flow. From what I have seen of Dobbie, I'm unconvinced that he will fare much better at Palace. Perhaps people are more sensitive to this move because it is Palace. Let's say he had gone to Charlton or Derby, would we be that bothered? Probably not.

A considerably more measured response than the WUM who started this thread. Tbh I assumed he was a palarse fan on a mission and just added him to my ignore list.

As an aside we can now see the picture of Dobbie in the Brighton & Hove Jobs ad in the matchday programme as a "come and get me" advert from the man himself. :lol:

Gus is right though - sometimes it just doesnt work for a player and a club. Dobbie is still a good footballer. He may well shine for palarse although I have reservations about their manager - he may just be choosing the wrong time to decide to do it his way. I can see them becoming increasingly inconsistant and I am beginning to fancy our chances of overtaking them. At the end of the day it is about what we do not them - with or without Dobbie/Murray et al.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
why not.....is he suspended ,injured or is he sulking cos actually villa , norwich or citeh didn't put an offer in for him...???

He's played all but 20mins of their last 10 league games.

But he's suddenly going to be dropped for a 39 year old and a player who has barely played this season and has 1 goal. Okay, lets hope so! :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He's played all but 20mins of their last 10 league games.

But he's suddenly going to be dropped for a 39 year old and a player who has barely played this season and has 1 goal. Okay, lets hope so! :thumbsup:

are you looking for an argument or something.......why bring the players in.? they have both played for his teams before , he will be more aware than you or i as to what their capabilities are......wouldn't think he would drop the leagues top scorer for a 39 year old.........however , if they get to the play off stage they could prove to be very valuable.......

Bigsul

Nov 2, 2009
If it means our team contains the likes Bridge, Upson, Ulloa, Bruno, Spanish Dave, Vicente and Liam Bridcutt, then Palace are welcome to Dobbie. If I was a Palace fan, I would not be inspired by signing Dobbie & Phillips. We've got the potential to have a very exciting end to this season with the squad we've got now.

This AND he can't play against us AND he might score against others AND we might recoup funds potentially wasted on a fifth choice player. Shame it was Palarse but promotion is in our hands, not theirs.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Would those saying its a stupid move prefer us to have kept him, in the reserves and on a big wage, and not brought in a defender? I understand the sentiment of the OP but it's fuelled by rivalry rather than clarity. If he does well for palace it's irrelevant, what matters is how WE do. If our signings of ulloa and upson were to pay off and get us promoted, would it matter whether dobbie fired palace up too, or was a complete flop? Let's worry about our own squad and let palace worry about theirs.

This deserves quoting atleast once. It's exactly right.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Probably done as a loan as there wasn't time for the full transfer. But we desperatly needed to get Dobbie off our wage budget. Still smarts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Probably done as a loan as there wasn't time for the full transfer. But we desperatly needed to get Dobbie off our wage budget. Still smarts.

No, he was done as a loan, simply because its against FIFA rules to sign permanently for three clubs in one season.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Let palace pay a big chunk of his wages, can we recall him if he hits form and we get some injuries? Then sell him to someone else in the summer :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hasn't he gone on loan for the season with a view to buy in the summer which would indicate that Poyet has given up on him and has other possible targets in mind for whatever position but to free up wages.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Would those saying its a stupid move prefer us to have kept him, in the reserves and on a big wage, and not brought in a defender? I understand the sentiment of the OP but it's fuelled by rivalry rather than clarity. If he does well for palace it's irrelevant, what matters is how WE do. If our signings of ulloa and upson were to pay off and get us promoted, would it matter whether dobbie fired palace up too, or was a complete flop? Let's worry about our own squad and let palace worry about theirs.

I agree 100% with this.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I really can't be bothered to read through 5 pages of 'stuff', but my opinion is that if you have a very highly paid individual who cannot get close to the first team then from a business sense it makes absolute sense to offload them. It makes no difference who you offload them to because we believe they are not up to standard. Dobbie has not become 'shit' overnight, IMHO he is still a very good player and in the right team he can be an effective player. He just didn't work for us. If the only team that came in for him was Palace then so what? Thank you for your offer, we'll take your money and still overtake you because we ARE better than you.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Would you rather have Upson in and lend them our 5th choice striker to clear his HUGE wages............ probably the equivelent of that Pettruci bloke at Man U going to City............. if he was on more than Rooney.............. exactly :facepalm:

OR have 1 fit CB but have Dobbie in the reserves while palarse signed some other striker (probably better than Dobbie) on loan?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here