Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Building extension

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Evening all,

Looking for some advice and broad prices from our skilled tradesmen on here (and failing that, anyone else that can do a job in 5 mins ;) )

Looking to have an enclosed front porch with downstairs toilet added to our house as well as a conservatory/orangery on the back. Looking for some guidance on prices as I have no clue. Also, if anyone's had similar work done, anything i should be aware of ? i think the porch would be about 2m x 2.5m with a tiled roof, and conservatory would be 2.5m x 3.5m approx, and would be used all year as office/dining room so would need to have the heating/lighting extended etc.

Cheers!

Our 4x3 conservatory (finished just before Christmas) cost about 20k including tinted glass roof and underfloor heating. Wasn’t much between quotes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Top work!

A neighbour spent months buttering up the local planning committe using genuine graft, then built a 2 storey extension, using his extended family to do the build. I suspect it cost no more that 25% of what I paid. It took him 9 months to complete, though, and is a bit chavtastic.

With my 'mental makeup' that strategy would have killed me, and I am more than happy with our outcome.

Our bathroom and loo are tiled floor to ceiling in small white tiles. The workmanship is sensational. It took days to complete and cost a fortune. The floors are large grey tiles, same pattern inside and outside the house. Oh, and we got one of those filtered water boiling water on tap things so we don't own a kettle anymore. Small detail, but....

And people wonder why I like working from home ??? :lolol:

I'm not smug, just very fortunate, albeit I worked for it. My old kitchen and bathroom (circa 2002 before the first upgrade) were modest by Bulgarian standards.

We paid full whack (going rates on all trades). It’s just that through family, I could relax and trust everything monetary. Also no lying disappearing acts.

The building industry has been so busy for so long, that many contractors and jobbing builders deliberately take on too much work. Then playing a spinning plates game of pretending to each customer that they’re their no.1 concern.

Those tiles, are they ‘Metros’? Love that look.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here