Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Builders of NSC, open me!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not asking for a deposit for materials is giving the client credit they may or may not be able to pay for. I don't know of one contractor who wouldn't ask for a deposit for working on someones home.

100% this.
If a customer wanted me to supply a bathroom suite and I had not worked for that person beforehand, I would definitely ask for a deposit.
Trust works both ways IMO.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
100% this.
If a customer wanted me to supply a bathroom suite and I had not worked for that person beforehand, I would definitely ask for a deposit.
Trust works both ways IMO.
Exactly, the OP wants a few jobs done around the house and people are talking about 5% retention figures and not paying the poor builder for two weeks, please it's hard enough out there as it is.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
All good advice and very much appreciated responses. I agree with [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION], trust works both ways and I am keen to have a good relationship with whoever ends up doing the work. A deposit is fine by me, as is paying for the work as it happens and we'll be needing a few things like a fridge/freezer and bathtub etc so I wouldn't to pay nothing in advance. These are subjects I am not too well versed in, I'm following the chat keenly.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All good advice and very much appreciated responses. I agree with [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION], trust works both ways and I am keen to have a good relationship with whoever ends up doing the work. A deposit is fine by me, as is paying for the work as it happens and we'll be needing a few things like a fridge/freezer and bathtub etc so I wouldn't to pay nothing in advance. These are subjects I am not too well versed in, I'm following the chat keenly.

If you're paying a deposit for high value items like a bathroom suite that the contractor has to order, make sure your name is on the order sheet so that you are connected to that order from the supplier.

Trust doesn't work both ways. You are personally liable for the money you will owe for the services, and you can be taken to court against your personal assets in order to retrieve that money. Contractors that are Limited Companies are not personally liable to you. They can be the most trustworthy, reputable person around, but if their business goes under, and it can happen to the nicest of people, your deposit will be behind a list of other creditors. That is not a shared liability or an equal burden of trust.

A well run reputable builder with a good reputation and cash flow will not have trouble starting work without payout up front. I totally take the other posters points about things like bathroom suites, but like I said, you can make sure you have a line of connection for your deposit paid toward those items.

Citizens Advice has a good helpful section for engaging building work.

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
Howdy All, a little while ago I posted a thread about a dodgy builder showing up at my dads house and I got a lot of good advice and support from many on here. Happily, I'm now in a position to get some of the work that needs doing done - so I need to get some folks in for quotes. We need a lot of work in the kitchen and bathroom specifically as well as some roof tiling and re-plastering of a ceiling or two. If anybody on here is involved in these trades, please drop me an IM and we'll arrange a day for you to take a look and provide a quote.

Cheers in advance!

Do you have a link to the original thread. Interested.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If you're paying a deposit for high value items like a bathroom suite that the contractor has to order, make sure your name is on the order sheet so that you are connected to that order from the supplier.

Trust doesn't work both ways. You are personally liable for the money you will owe for the services, and you can be taken to court against your personal assets in order to retrieve that money. Contractors that are Limited Companies are not personally liable to you. They can be the most trustworthy, reputable person around, but if their business goes under, and it can happen to the nicest of people, your deposit will be behind a list of other creditors. That is not a shared liability or an equal burden of trust.

A well run reputable builder with a good reputation and cash flow will not have trouble starting work without payout up front. I totally take the other posters points about things like bathroom suites, but like I said, you can make sure you have a line of connection for your deposit paid toward those items.

Citizens Advice has a good helpful section for engaging building work.

There's a whole lot more to getting people in that I realised, that much has become very obvious to me at this point! After conversations with a lot of people, I've started to drift away from the DIY suggestion, a lot of my mates were prepared to get involved and have a go but I'd rather get a professional in, the people coming to view the property will get a good idea of why - there's a fair amount of work to be done.

Do you have a link to the original thread. Interested.

Here you go; http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...k-being-undertaken-without-consent&highlight=

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Howdy All, a little while ago I posted a thread about a dodgy builder showing up at my dads house and I got a lot of good advice and support from many on here. Happily, I'm now in a position to get some of the work that needs doing done - so I need to get some folks in for quotes. We need a lot of work in the kitchen and bathroom specifically as well as some roof tiling and re-plastering of a ceiling or two. If anybody on here is involved in these trades, please drop me an IM and we'll arrange a day for you to take a look and provide a quote.

Cheers in advance!

If my recent building work is anything to go by then expect to pay double the original quote and for it to take three times as long, and to deal with a load of divs who have absolutely no common sense and no idea about working in the real world. Expect to be told that they are 'so busy' only for 4pm to come and they all toddle off home, and also decide to bugger off on holiday for ten days towards the end of the job because it was 'almost' finished. Expect them also to take on other jobs in the middle of yours and not turn up for days because of it.

If you need any recommendations for over-priced, difficult to deal with, thick, lazy tradesmen with attitude problems then let me know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here