Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT vs Sky

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There are 4 bidders Sky , BT , BeIN Sports (owned by Al Jazeera) and Eurosport (owned by Discovery). The nightmare scenario is having to sign up with 4 different providers to watch all the Premier League live games

marketeers dream, and the very reason the permiership can make more and more money.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
So the weekend starts on a Friday night with Eurosport showing Liverpools game.
Saturday morning and Man Utd KO at 10am to satisfy the Indian TV company screening live at 3:30 in India and on Zee TV (extra cost) on Sky package.
Noon game is Man City on Al Jazera (extra subscription).
3pm game is QPR v Swansea. No TV company wanted this game so it is played at the traditional time on Saturday. Played to an empty stadium as fans forgot it was on due to lack of TV publicity.
5pm is Arsenal on Sky (extra subscription)
7pm game is Chelsea. Time to unplug the Sky box and put in the Talk Talk box (extra subscription).
Sunday morning starts on the God channel at 9am with the Tottenham match. The God channel have paid big money to have Spurs play at 9am on a Sunday despite them being away at Chelsea the night before.
The IPL cricket has been double booked at 12 with the Everton match. Everton team and 35,000 fans have to stand around for three hours waiting for the cricket to finish before getting the go ahead to start.
Because the Everton match is delayed West Ham's match is bought forward at the last minute. The 27,000 fans are not informed and turn up in the 87th minute.
The 4pm game on BT (swop boxes again, extra subscription) is Sunderland. Gus Poyet has been given his own 90 minute pre-show show.
Crystal Palace play live on Croydon TV who bid £5.27 for all their home games. Viewing figures show only 6 people watched.
Hull City have been given a bye this season as the TV companies forgot the existed.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
So the weekend starts on a Friday night with Eurosport showing Liverpools game.
Saturday morning and Man Utd KO at 10am to satisfy the Indian TV company screening live at 3:30 in India and on Zee TV (extra cost) on Sky package.
Noon game is Man City on Al Jazera (extra subscription).
3pm game is QPR v Swansea. No TV company wanted this game so it is played at the traditional time on Saturday. Played to an empty stadium as fans forgot it was on due to lack of TV publicity.
5pm is Arsenal on Sky (extra subscription)
7pm game is Chelsea. Time to unplug the Sky box and put in the Talk Talk box (extra subscription).
Sunday morning starts on the God channel at 9am with the Tottenham match. The God channel have paid big money to have Spurs play at 9am on a Sunday despite them being away at Chelsea the night before.
The IPL cricket has been double booked at 12 with the Everton match. Everton team and 35,000 fans have to stand around for three hours waiting for the cricket to finish before getting the go ahead to start.
Because the Everton match is delayed West Ham's match is bought forward at the last minute. The 27,000 fans are not informed and turn up in the 87th minute.
The 4pm game on BT (swop boxes again, extra subscription) is Sunderland. Gus Poyet has been given his own 90 minute pre-show show.
Crystal Palace play live on Croydon TV who bid £5.27 for all their home games. Viewing figures show only 6 people watched.
Hull City have been given a bye this season as the TV companies forgot the existed.

:lolol: big thumbs up

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There are 4 bidders Sky , BT , BeIN Sports (owned by Al Jazeera) and Eurosport (owned by Discovery). The nightmare scenario is having to sign up with 4 different providers to watch all the Premier League live games

Almost every PL game is easily available by stream so why pay for them ? Not that I tend to watch PL games anyway.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've got SKY and BT, but apart from the odd game I don't watch Premiership football so I don't care who gets it; however Sky's football coverage pisses all over BT so I guess I'm in favour of SKY. Now if there was talk of BT getting cricket I'd be really worried.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I've got SKY and BT, but apart from the odd game I don't watch Premiership football so I don't care who gets it; however Sky's football coverage pisses all over BT so I guess I'm in favour of SKY. Now if there was talk of BT getting cricket I'd be really worried.

This, I have Sky for the cricket and the golf as well as some football. Could only imagine how bad BT's coverage of both would be.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
The problem I have is that I like to be able to watch Premiership football, but it's not the be all and end all. I also enjoy foreign football and rugby a lot, and will happily sit and watch cricket, darts or F1 if I'm bored. But for me the real deal-breaker is the NFL, and I feel that sky really have me over a barrel on it.

If they lost all prem football and dropped the price accordingly, but kept the NFL, I'd actually be quite happy. But at others said, the only outcome seems that at the very least I would be paying the same to get less.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Also worth pointing out that these days the best price is all tied to broadband deals, and in my experience in my old flat BT broadband dropped out all the time and I used to have to argue with an Indian call centre regularly about why, whereas touch wood in my new house it's been 18 months and the broadband hasn't kicked out for one second.

(I am aware the wires etc could be a factor as well).

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
they are though - BT are complete shit in comparison

with SKY and my router burned out after a few days (its Chinese and it happens) rung them at 11pm and by 10am next morning I had another+ my telephone socket with an inbuilt filter (which talk talk installed) was playing up internet dropping out and the day afer I changed over SKY turned up to change it.
maybe its me but I cannot fault their service and while you are taking to someone in this country as well.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I have BT only for the Rugby (Premiership and European) and the MotoGp, and Sky Sports just for the F1 (and the odd England Rugby game).
Wish I could just pick and choose what I watched and paid for.

No doubt my BT and Sky bilsl will rise to account for PrimaDonna Premiership Football, which I don't give a rats cr@p about!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
with SKY and my router burned out after a few days (its Chinese and it happens) rung them at 11pm and by 10am next morning I had another+ my telephone socket with an inbuilt filter (which talk talk installed) was playing up internet dropping out and the day afer I changed over SKY turned up to change it.
maybe its me but I cannot fault their service and while you are taking to someone in this country as well.

You were lucky then. When I had Sky the two main faults I had were with the Sky+ box. One time it took them over two weeks to come out and another 10 days. The third time they wanted to charge me for it AND it was a 2 week waiting time - Virgin got my business immediately.

If I ended up speaking to their Scottish call centre it was in the evening. During the day it was always India.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I hope Sky get all the rights. BT's internet, TV and customer support is awful. Virgin isn't much better either.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I hope Sky get all the rights. BT's internet, TV and customer support is awful. Virgin isn't much better either.

It's the luck of the draw .. I had some horrendous prob's with Sky and got rid of it before I killed someone! Now have BT and everything has been perfect since day 1 nearly 2 years ago

It's not really about the organisation, in fact most are pretty crap when things go wrong in my experience

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Again, why is it a nightmare? Most of the games are crap anyway.

For those wanting to watch all the live broadcast games they'll have to have 4 separate subscriptions and even if Sky handle the two new entrants as standalone subs on a third party basis there will be activation fees (£15 each?) to set it up. Armchair football fans will be seething at laying out more money.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Almost every PL game is easily available by stream so why pay for them ? Not that I tend to watch PL games anyway.

Not an option for those who want to watch it in HD on a big flat-screen TV unless their broadband is fibre :lol: #buffering

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Sky cannot hold all the rights , 168 games up for grabs and the most Sky can win is 126. The pie is cut into 7 slices (some slices are tastier than others) but one company cannot buy the whole pie.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My bill will go up for the 22nd year running is the only certainty
You're looking at it all wrong. I believe the letter will be something like...

'Great news! Yet again we've improved the service we are able to bring you. You will continue to receive the best television package available. In order to sustain the high level of service we provide, there will be a small increase to your bill of just 10 pence per day.'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here