Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BT Infinity problem

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Any advice would be welcome on a WIFI problem. I had BT Infinity installed a week ago having previously had a standard white BT HomeHub. Since the installation the ethernet connection on my PC has been fine and very fast. WIFI OK in most rooms but in one room, importantly my daughter’s, the connection keeps dropping, in spite of the signal appearing to be strong. BT have been in and found all to be OK, I have sat on the phone to the BT help centre on a daily basis but to no avail , I have moved the router to higher positions; had the laptop checked out for faulty settings etc. but the problem persists.
I am looking for other possible causes; the room also houses the hot water tank and is over the kitchen. It seems worse when a lot of power is being used for things like cooking and heating and the PC battery is slow in charging; could these things be a factor? The previous Home Hub worked fine and I am struggling here…

Thanks

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Process of elimination. Did the wifi used to work in your daughter's room? Does the laptop work consistently in other rooms? Microwaves can interfere, and I believe some routers can work on different frequencies to counteract this. Have you tried getting takeaways? My wifi works in every room except the one I want to use it in - I believe that's because of pipes and cables in the wall.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
If the wifi is working well in most of the house then it is almost certainly a local electrical interference that is causing the problem and the ones that you mention are very strong candidates for being the cause.

I have heard of problems where neighbours power supplies have interfered, so it may even not be caused by something in your own home, but in your case, quite probably it is.

If you could run cat 5 cable through your house to your daughters room and have it connected direct to an ethernet port on the hub then you'd have it sorted, but if that is not possible then you should have a look at the other power sources that may interfere and see if you can switch them all off briefly to test the service without interference.

Note - this problem is possible for all service providers, not just BT Infinity.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Process of elimination. Did the wifi used to work in your daughter's room? Does the laptop work consistently in other rooms? Microwaves can interfere, and I believe some routers can work on different frequencies to counteract this. Have you tried getting takeaways? My wifi works in every room except the one I want to use it in - I believe that's because of pipes and cables in the wall.

Old WIFI worked fine before in that room with what appeared to be a weaker signal and the laptop seems OK when we try it in other rooms. Could try the 100% takeaway diet over the next week.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I used to have problems with losing a connection every time the hot water thermostat 'clicked' to demand the boiler to run. The problem was that the when the contact tried to change you could here that it was not breaking or making the electric circuit cleanly. You could hear a crackling noise for several seconds and could pick up the interference on a portable radio close by. Worth seeing if you can link the losing of the connection with things happening in your hot water tank.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
try moving the position of the hub router, both the direction of it (ie turn it 90deg) and also try moving several feet away from its current location. i think from the looks of pictures the hubs have an integral antennae which might be a be shit or suseptible to interference in some angles.

if all else fails, and cat5 cableing is out, try ethernet over power with adapters to plug in your mains.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
if all else fails, and cat5 cableing is out, try ethernet over power with adapters to plug in your mains.

Yeah, cable is most reliable option, but the mains adapters are pretty cheap. Assuming the sockets are all on the same circuit...

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions. I am pretty sure it is linked to the thermostat and will look into running a cable.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Thanks for the suggestions. I am pretty sure it is linked to the thermostat and will look into running a cable.

Try switching the heating off for a few days.

Surely only a faulty/failing thermostat would cause such problems?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Another thing to try is changing the wireless channel that the router uses. It's possible that another network is interfering with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here