Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brussels Airport Terrorist attack

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
:facepalm: Of course we need to remain vigilant about those who are already here or those being brainwashed, that goes without saying.

What would you rather happen? Deport all muslims from our country like Britain First would like?

I would rather our lives would not be subject to even more intrusion by the state and all manner of additional inconvenience, this is what will happen.

In the meantime unelected technocrats will invite millions of people to settle in Europe without a by-your-leave with the electorate's.

And the cycle will continue.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
you are doing a disservice to the anti-EU campaign. this incident has nothing to do with the EU, security is not impacted positively or negatively by us being in it, using security in the EU debate is to use fear. not being part of Schegen does provide us some security benefits. leave it at that.

In your opinion.

As far as I am concerned if national security is a reason Cameron uses to hector people to stay in, then events like today only serve to demonstrate that it is an empty promise.

If you think that EU expansionism to the borders of Syria, Iraq and Iran would have no bearing on our national security then personally you are deluded.

That does not even recognise the possible threats by opening up free movement to Turkey before it is formally accepted in the club.

I also understand that the metro bombed today is one of 2 used to access the EU quarter.............on plenty of measures this attack has lots to do with the EU.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I have an agenda. But, I like to think I am reasonably aware of when, and when not, to push it. I personally didn't think this thread was the place. If you do fine, no skin of my nose. I'll leave you to it.

I see, you call the shots.............we will all follow your lead.

Your piety and modesty is truly humbling.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Maybe it should be a separate thread rather than take this one off topic, nothing to stop you doing that and having that discussion there. That's what they are saying

With a conformist attitude like that maybe you should change your avatar..........

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Phuket airport in Thailand has security at the entrance. Cases, hand luggage and all people go through security checks to enter the airport-including those who nip out for a cigarette. It is a pain in the ass-let's hope we don't adopt this in Europe although it is looking more likely to be introduced.

Bodrum airport in
Turkey was the same except now you cant nip out for a cigarette

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Which is a 'bit' of a problem for us as these people, many who are EU citizens have a right to come here with little if any checks (show EU passport). The same applies to the numerous growing Muslim communities across Europe.

And gives more strength to the notion that being outside of the EU will help us manage our borders appropriately.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I wonder if this will make more Americans vote for trump? The end of the world is nigh

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
And gives more strength to the notion that being outside of the EU will help us manage our borders appropriately.

I see the French Prime Minister has declared 'we' (europe) are at war. Well we have no chance of winning if we can't control the tap that has a direct bearing on the threat level. Both on the continent and at home.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I see the French Prime Minister has declared 'we' (europe) are at war. Well we have no chance of winning if we can't control the tap that has a direct bearing on the threat level. Both on the continent and at home.

If he really believes that then he should be building secure camps to intern those that may wish us harm .

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
If he really believes that then he should be building secure camps to intern those that may wish us harm .

Two major attacks on European capital cities in 5 months, numerous foiled plots elsewhere, serious societal tensions in numerous countries .. I'm not sure where we go from here but it's not looking good.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Two major attacks on European capital cities in 5 months, numerous foiled plots elsewhere, serious societal tensions in numerous countries .. I'm not sure where we go from here but it's not looking good.

Just keep on keeping on, and try and help people who are fleeing from places where these nutters have control.

Dec 29, 2011
The Americans have got their wish. They wanted a destabalised Middle East and a public who are easy to scare. This will surely lead to more knee jerk attacks in the Middle East which will keep their arms industry growing nicely.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

In the decade between 1988 to 1998 the Northern Ireland troubles took 700 lives through terrorist activity in the UK and Ireland. Going back to July 2005, through to today's awful atrocity, we have seen 289 deaths across the whole of Europe associated with muslim extremism. This isn't justification for either, but it is perspective regarding threat and response.

There is an existing muslim population in Europe of some 44m muslims, plus 1m migrants or whatever that estimate is. If there was some massive Islamist plot, logic would tell you that with 44m in Europe, we would be facing far greater consequences than those we have seen. Clearly security needs to be a priority, however our way of life, the protection of our freedoms, the political future of the country should not be dictated through fear and paranoia.

Troubled times are ahead there is no hiding from that or the devastating loss of life, however cutting ourselves off from Europe won't help fight terrorists (regardless of our EU status). What Paris and Brussels has shown us (as did 9/11 to the US) that if you do not have joined up security, sharing of information, bilateral cooperation, it makes it so much harder to track and identify these threats.

Europe needs to unite at this point (again regardless of EU membership), not in any persecution of migrants or religion, but in preventing terrorism wherever that may emerge from, not forgetting one of the worst recent terrorist atrocities in Europe was a white Norwegian.

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014

There's a lovely myth that during the war, a German U boat commander would 'park up' off a small cove in Cornwall and hop ashore. He loved the spot and had his eye on a house overlooking the beach. With immaculate English (educated in Cambridge or someplace) he'd saddle up by the bar in a nearby boozer with such regularity he became a local.

No one really supposes that this is true, but that it could be helps to make the point that you can't ever fully control the flow of fanatics with weapons. What you can do though is kill them. If war is really how the French Prime minister sees this (and why wouldn't he?) then I hope he's prepared to make some big decisions, because that's what is required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here