Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruno Magnificent With Joao Injury

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Having met D'Urso and able to speak to him several years ago, I couldn't actually believe how arrogant, obnoxious, self important he was. Astonishing really, but then it does seem to be the preserve of the professional referee personality trait. I perhaps expected at least some resemblance of a normal person underneath his refereeing facade - but no, the man is an c**t.

Would a normal person become a football referee in the first place?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure that's strictly fair. On first viewing, it looked like a clumsy foul by Teixeira on a player who had got past him (there were a few of those last night, Joe Bennett did the same by pulling somebody back who'd beaten him for pace/skill). It's not uncommon for players who've committed fouls to appear a little bit injured in an effort to avoid a card or a ticking off, and I guess D'Urso momentarily thought Teixeira was doing exactly that, so he got on with it. If you look at the photos from when it first happened, Teixeira was sitting up for a split second, looking merely puzzled, presumably until the pain kicked in.

If footballers as a rule weren't such utter shysters when it comes to feigning injury, there might not be that initial inclination from officials to disregard them. After all: how many times have we all witnessed an opposition player, or one of our own in fact, give it the Dying Swan, only to leap up moments later after a quick drink of water & a reassuring pat from the physio?

All fair. D'urso seemed to get most decisions right last night to be fair (despite what the bellends in front of me thought) - unusually for him. Just hope Tex isn't too badly injured - some press reports saying it's an ankle injury.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not sure that's strictly fair. On first viewing, it looked like a clumsy foul by Teixeira on a player who had got past him (there were a few of those last night, Joe Bennett did the same by pulling somebody back who'd beaten him for pace/skill). It's not uncommon for players who've committed fouls to appear a little bit injured in an effort to avoid a card or a ticking off, and I guess D'Urso momentarily thought Teixeira was doing exactly that, so he got on with it. If you look at the photos from when it first happened, Teixeira was sitting up for a split second, looking merely puzzled, presumably until the pain kicked in.

If footballers as a rule weren't such utter shysters when it comes to feigning injury, there might not be that initial inclination from officials to disregard them. After all: how many times have we all witnessed an opposition player, or one of our own in fact, give it the Dying Swan, only to leap up moments later after a quick drink of water & a reassuring pat from the physio?

Maybe ...but it went on too long as he fumbled in his (back) pocket...Calde took one look and beckoned the physio on....sorry but in this instance his priorities were wrong imho

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All fair. D'urso seemed to get most decisions right last night to be fair (despite what the bellends in front of me thought) - unusually for him. Just hope Tex isn't too badly injured - some press reports saying it's an ankle injury.

Yep. I think sometimes we see the name of the referee in advance and if it's one of the more notorious guys, then every decision he makes is subjected to far more scrutiny than it would have been otherwise. If he'd been Mr Joe Bloggs from Gloucester, nobody would have batted an eyelid. I didn't think he did a lot wrong last night TBH. Alright, he took his time to recognise the Teixeira situation, but I don't mind admitting that my first reaction was that the lad was probably laying it on a bit, so I can't really blame D'Urso for doing the same. He was exactly the same when one of the Huddersfield players (think it was Scannell) was rolling around early in the game.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide

I don't disagree with the point you are trying to make at all. However, it was perfectly apparent from where I sit that he was seriously injured immediately after the tackle (which admittedly was a poor one on his part) - he was waving to the bench and slapping his hand on the ground. Even then Calde had to wave for the physio to come on because D'Urso was still putting his card away.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Agree on D'Urso, awful person.

However, back to the OP, in my opinion if it weren't for Calde being such a legend off the field, then Bruno would be highlighted more for the work that he does. He is a great supporter of AITC events and as per last night is a respected leader within the squad, and a generally good bloke. In a sh1t season it is some comfort to have both of them as fantastic examples that not all foreigners who come here are mercenaries and that they want to immerse themselves in the culture and community around them.

thumbs up with knobs on.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
I was also impressed with the Huddersfield bench who applauded Tex off as he went past on the stretcher.

Also, the Huddersfield fans applauded young Jadeys efforts during the Brighton marathon at half time.
Maybe it shows the value of having a thoroughly decent person as a manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here