Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball & 2012 World Tour

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
springsteen-wrecking-ball.jpg

Know there's a lot of Boss fans on here, so surprised this hasn't started already!

Firstly, what does everyone think of the new album? it's been streaming and is now widely available. I'm trying not to listen to it too much as I don't want to ruin the rare treat of getting a new Springsteen record and putting it in the player, but from what I've heard it's okay - better than Working on a Dream (though that's not saying much) but unlikely to stand out as one of his classics.

As for the tour, I've somehow managed to miss seeing him so far, so I'm ridiculously excited. Messed around and missed tickets for Hyde Park, but I think that worked out ok as we're now going up to Sunderland to see him. Worried at how the band will feel without The Big Man (and possibly Max Weinberg), but still cannot wait!

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Great performer. I think his best concerts were the ones which were the last performances at the old Giants Stadium before it was demolished. You could see how proud he was of his New Jersey roots and he got a great reception by the crowd

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
What I've heard of the new album it's very good - but then I'm of the opinion that Springsteen can do no wrong so that probably ain't much of a recommendation
Because I should be on holiday in July I've chosen to avoid the UK dates and am going to see him in Barcelona and in Paris - I will have seen him in excess of 30 times and, believe me , he gets better and better. You are in for a treat.
Try to get to see him in New Jersey where he's playing to his "home" crowd - it's an experience that you'll remember for the rest of your life.
Quite frankly in my not terribly humble opinion he's the best there is at what he does - the only other band that I know that works as hard as he and the E St Band do is J J Grey & Mofro

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Great performer. I think his best concerts were the ones which were the last performances at the old Giants Stadium before it was demolished. You could see how proud he was of his New Jersey roots and he got a great reception by the crowd

I quite agree - I was at two of those gigs and he was absolutely wonderful. The version of "Jersey Girl" he did on the Saturday night sent shivers up and down my spine (and it still does even just thinking about it)

Mar 24, 2011
I've tried hard not to listen to the previews but with no success. The album sounds great and after watching the boss for 26 years I cannot wait for this tour, the songs will be great live coupled with a horn section and hopefully songs from the promise
this tour could be one of the greats.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Just listened to the album for the first time, very impressed and expect it to grow on me.

And the Giants Stadium gets a name-check in the title track...

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
springsteen-wrecking-ball.jpg

Know there's a lot of Boss fans on here, so surprised this hasn't started already!

Firstly, what does everyone think of the new album? it's been streaming and is now widely available. I'm trying not to listen to it too much as I don't want to ruin the rare treat of getting a new Springsteen record and putting it in the player, but from what I've heard it's okay - better than Working on a Dream (though that's not saying much) but unlikely to stand out as one of his classics.

As for the tour, I've somehow managed to miss seeing him so far, so I'm ridiculously excited. Messed around and missed tickets for Hyde Park, but I think that worked out ok as we're now going up to Sunderland to see him. Worried at how the band will feel without The Big Man (and possibly Max Weinberg), but still cannot wait!

Can't agree about 'Working on a Dream' which I really enjoyed. But enjoy the gig. He is certainly Top 5 in the World of currently performing live artists.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Saw him at Glastonbury that year (2009? Can't remember). Thought he was absolutely fcukin' awful.

The most bombastic, pompous, overblown tosh I have had the misfortune to witness in a long long time.

Sorry... Perhaps an opinion best kept to myself on a thread such as this.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Saw him at Glastonbury that year (2009? Can't remember). Thought he was absolutely fcukin' awful.

The most bombastic, pompous, overblown tosh I have had the misfortune to witness in a long long time.

Sorry... Perhaps an opinion best kept to myself on a thread such as this.

Understood, but I think it's easy to miss the humour, unless you've followed him for a while.

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
I've seen a LOT of live gigs, haven't seen Springsteen for quite a while, but seen no-one better, or even close. 3 and a half hours, without a moments drop in quality.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Seen him 36 times since 85, England, Ireland, Spain, France, Italy, New York, the guy is the ultimate live performer, nobody can touch him.

Haven't heard the album yet, was originally undecided about the single but it has now impregnated itself into my brain. Another "Born in the USA" to be performed with patriotic fervour at Superbowls, party rallies and other patriotic events by people who have never listened to the words properly - only Bruce could manage a line like "We yelled "help" but the cavalry stayed home, There ain't no-one hearing the bugle blown".

Was offered the chance to go to Hyde Park but I prefer to stick with my memory of a night in the early noughtie's (or was it before that) at Earl's Court when I experienced the wonder of the whole E-Street phenomenon, The Boss, The Big Man, Miami Steve and the rest showing how rock'n'roll should be done.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Love the tribute to the Big Man in the sleeve notes, finishing thus:

"Clarence was big and he made me feel, think, love, and dream big. How big was the big man? Too f***ing big to die. You can put it on his gravestone, you can tattoo it over your heart.

Clarence doesn't leave the E Street Band when he dies. He leaves it when we die".

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Can't wait to see him in Hyde Park this Summer. I've been a fan for years, but never yet seen him/them live.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
One of the first venues of the Wrecking Ball tour was East Rutherford, New Jersey last Tuesday. Tried to get tickets but no luck.

This is the first tour without Clarence Clemons – his nephew Jake Clemons is taking his place and that’s some awfully big shoes to fill.

The Boss roars tough and tender - New York Times review

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here