Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brown ahead of Baldock for the final 5 minutes in the Bournemouth game

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Dull, but the simple answer is CH sees the players all week and makes decisions based on that and the tactics for the team we are playing (ahead of the start of the game), picking a bench to cover as many options as possible. We don’t.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Whatever else might be up for debate, there is no point whatsoever in filling one of the places on the bench with a player you categorically know will not be ready to play. I can't see any way Hughton - or any other manager, no matter how loopy - would do that, so it's a 'no' from me for that idea.

This. The idea we are putting a player who is unable to play on the bench is frankly laughable. No one has been able to explain why we would logically do this. If he was unable to play for whatever reason, why wouldn't we just say he was injured / on his way back etc? FFS we'd include Murphy because at least he would be able to run about!

This is not the same as saying he won't play for us again or might be sold. With the current way we set up I'm not sure where he fits in, he isn't a player who could lead the line like Murray or Hemed, plus I don't see him at the attacking midfielder in the Gross / Brown mold.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
My guess - and hope - is that it is something to do with appearances made in Brown's loan agreement. All other options are unpalatable and illogical in my view.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just read this post interesting. I am in minority in that think Brown is better player. Baldock ok but not answer to what we need. He wont play wide or midfield or as lone striker. Baldock i agree will run around more then most but in few occasions Brown has played he can go passed a defender

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd really like to see Baldock get a chance in the Prem but that looks even more unlikely if we buy a striker in this window.

Indeed, Baldock's stock re the Championship is still high and there will be no shortage of takers.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Dull, but the simple answer is CH sees the players all week and makes decisions based on that and the tactics for the team we are playing (ahead of the start of the game), picking a bench to cover as many options as possible. We don’t.

I would not disagree with this for one moment -CH and his staff have been around for many years in the game, they know the players and what they want, which is why I never quibble about tactics. My gripe during the final moments of the Bournemouth match was that the bench was not fully utilised for the last 30 minutes or so, when the players were understandably shattered after two matches in less than 48 hours. Howe put on all his subs relatively early on -why sub Gross on 87 minutes and not even use a sub for a forward player?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
My guess - and hope - is that it is something to do with appearances made in Brown's loan agreement. All other options are unpalatable and illogical in my view.

I very much doubt that. Didn't PB say sometime last season that the club never makes loan agreements with appearance clauses in them?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I would not disagree with this for one moment -CH and his staff have been around for many years in the game, they know the players and what they want, which is why I never quibble about tactics. My gripe during the final moments of the Bournemouth match was that the bench was not fully utilised for the last 30 minutes or so, when the players were understandably shattered after two matches in less than 48 hours. Howe put on all his subs relatively early on -why sub Gross on 87 minutes and not even use a sub for a forward player?

I totally agree with you. It looked like we were going to concede a goal too. I can't recall a game under Hughton where we were in such desperate need of a sub. ANY sub. Just some fresh legs. You could understand it normally. He puts a lot of faith in the players and the defence in particular to see games out and get the job done. But this occasion it was just so obvious that the two games in quick succession had taken their toll.

If we'd have conceded again I would actually have blamed Hughton. And it's not often that's happened!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
C49zT6yWMAAkrbN.png

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Howe put his subs on early because he was losing the game, and we were still looking the more likely to score. Quite why anyone thinks Hughton should be changing the side anytime from 45 to 65 even 70mins when we were on top is anyone's guess. Izquierdo and Knockeart arguably having their best games of the season, and didn't look tired to be fair, and I didn't see Stephens or Propper drop really. If you bring on Kayal for Gross, I guarantee you this board would have been full of 'we invited pressure by taking a forward player off'. Damned if you do...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Howe put his subs on early because he was losing the game, and we were still looking the more likely to score. Quite why anyone thinks Hughton should be changing the side anytime from 45 to 65 even 70mins when we were on top is anyone's guess. Izquierdo and Knockeart arguably having their best games of the season, and didn't look tired to be fair, and I didn't see Stephens or Propper drop really. If you bring on Kayal for Gross, I guarantee you this board would have been full of 'we invited pressure by taking a forward player off'. Damned if you do...

No denying that smug Eddie has managed to turn both games around against us this season by smart subs though?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No denying that smug Eddie has managed to turn both games around against us this season by smart subs though?

They were behind in both, and to be honest, we had more to do with it with missed chances and stupid defending than his subs transforming the game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They were behind in both, and to be honest, we had more to do with it with missed chances and stupid defending than his subs transforming the game.

Both goals at their place were Premier League quality, the one on Saturday was schoolboy defending I grant you.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Both goals at their place were Premier League quality, the one on Saturday was schoolboy defending I grant you.

Not only that but heavily influenced by the superb Ibe. The sub.

Baldock should not be sold no matter what, we'll be back to 4-4-2 in a lot of games next year and we'll need him to get us back up.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Not only that but heavily influenced by the superb Ibe. The sub.

Baldock should not be sold no matter what, we'll be back to 4-4-2 in a lot of games next year and we'll need him to get us back up.
Have I missed something? Are we relegated already or have you just given up and thrown in the towell? (Not Richie)6

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

:thumbsup:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Luckily for us we have had very few injuries/suspensions so far. SB has only just got fit,his time will come with us,and then it will be up to him to keep the shirt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As others have said, surely the moment of truth will be whether Baldock gets any minutes for the stiffs on Monday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here