Broadsheets

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Can someone give me a quick rundown of the political lines the broadsheets tend to take?

I like the Daily Telegraph but was led to believe this was a tory paper?

My little sister has also been asked to complete this for some homework and to be honest i dont read newspapers very often with the wonder of the internet and rather ashamed to say i wasnt completely sure.

E

enigma

Telegraph- right

Times- centre-right
Independent- centre-left

Guardian-left

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Telegraph = Home counties retired judge/Colonel/tally ho foxhunting Tories.
Times = Tories of a more modern variety circa 1987.
Guardian = Beard wearing, muesli eating, sandal stomping wet lefties (copyright Looney)
Independent = Fence sitting, wet liberal, we're neither Tory or Labour

Dandyman

In London village.
caz99 said:
Can someone give me a quick rundown of the political lines the broadsheets tend to take?

I like the Daily Telegraph but was led to believe this was a tory paper?

My little sister has also been asked to complete this for some homework and to be honest i dont read newspapers very often with the wonder of the internet and rather ashamed to say i wasnt completely sure.

Guardian & Independent - liberal (Labour supporting)

Telegraph - Right wing (Tory)

Times - Right wing (whatever is in Rupie Murdoch's financial interests).

FT - pro Business varies depending on the situation probably cautiously pro- Labour at the moment.

Theatre of Trees said:
Telegraph = Home counties retired judge/Colonel/tally ho foxhunting Tories.
Times = Tories of a more modern variety circa 1987.
Guardian = Beard wearing, muesli eating, sandal stomping wet lefties (copyright Looney)
Independent = Fence sitting, wet liberal, we're neither Tory or Labour

Where does the Daily Sport fit into this?

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Thanks guys. oooh might have to try them all out now. the anticipation is killing me :D

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Actually, The Times is now a tabloid, the Guardian is now Berliner. That only leaves the Telegarph and Independent (which is also available in tabloid).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Torygraph is very tory, but is fairly grown up too and tries to be unbiased in its actual news reporting.

Times is very conserative too, but being owned my New Labour loving Murdoch does often present the governments view. but the commentry is broadly right wing. this conflict, imho, actually makes it a usually very balanced and even handed paper.

Guardian is for the liberals, the readership largely teachers, media types and civil servants.

The Independant is a funny one, its clearly very anti government yet left wing too. i suppose thats not such a confusion these days.

Frankly all the broadsheets are pretty good, in particular at actually reporting news, its only really the columnists and commentry that give away their politics.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Torygraph - Very Conservative
Times - Not quite so conservatiove as the Telegraph. Quite radical at times
Guardian - Liberal, but sensible
Independent - Very liberal

I like them all in their own ways. I'd buy the Times all the time but I hate their typeface

Albion Rob

Very good coverage of foreign news in Guardian and Indie (don't often get hold of Times and Telegraph so unfair to comment). Much more interesting than some EastEnders bird shagging in a corridor (but much less arousing) and gives you a real sense of what is going on out there and puts quite a lot of perspective on the luxuries we enjoy in this country IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports