Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Broadband provider

Please help NSC..

I am looking to leave Virgin Media as they are awful, constant issues, cannot get broadband only for some reason. Has to be home tv and broadband package, which aren’t cheap, and they make it so difficult to get rid if the tv set up on my package.

Can anyone please recommend a decent provider?

I live BN1, Withdean.

Cheers all.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Invariably, when someone tells you their internet is down, they are with Virgin.

I had a couple of cheaper packages - TalkTalk and Vodafone - and the inconsistency was so frustrating it just wasn't worth saving a few quid.

I've been with BT since and it's been rock solid for the past 5 years, across 2 different properties. It costs a bit more mind you.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Invariably, when someone tells you their internet is down, they are with Virgin.

I had a couple of cheaper packages - TalkTalk and Vodafone - and the inconsistency was so frustrating it just wasn't worth saving a few quid.

I've been with BT since and it's been rock solid for the past 5 years, across 2 different properties. It costs a bit more mind you.
Another shout for BT here.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sky have been good for years for me, rarely have an issue.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I left virginmedia, gone full fibre with Toob £25 a month. 3 months in, no issues and average 925Mbs download speed.
I recommend them
Edit
It comes with a TP-Link router and was installed via fibre cable from telephone pole

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Also in Withdean, we’ve been with (award winning) Zen for 15 years, it’s through BT cables … Zen handle that you for you.

Mbps download speed always seems be around 70. Running a load of work pc’s, my son’s online FIFA, iPads and phones. We’ve a Zen booster box upstairs because the BT entry point and Zen router isn’t central just now.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Also in Withdean, we’ve been with (award winning) Zen for 15 years, it’s through BT cables … Zen handle that you for you.

Mbps download always seems be around 70. Running a load of work pc’s, my son’s online FIFA, iPads and phones. We’ve a Zen booster box upstairs because the BT entry point and Zen router isn’t central just now.
I'm with Zen and would recommend them in so far as I've never had any problems with my Internet and on the only occasion I've had to call them (presumably when I moved house, I can't remember now) it was painless enough that I can't remember anything about it.
I say that, you do get a nice homely Rochdale accent at the other end if you call them. That's nice.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm with Zen and would recommend them in so far as I've never had any problems with my Internet and on the only occasion I've had to call them (presumably when I moved house, I can't remember now) it was painless enough that I can't remember anything about it.
I say that, you do get a nice homely Rochdale accent at the other end if you call them. That's nice.

I get a frosty reception from those (greater) Manc tw@ts once I give my password as AnfieldCLx6.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Please help NSC..

I am looking to leave Virgin Media as they are awful, constant issues, cannot get broadband only for some reason. Has to be home tv and broadband package, which aren’t cheap, and they make it so difficult to get rid if the tv set up on my package.

Can anyone please recommend a decent provider?

I live BN1, Withdean.

Cheers all.
We are with Sky. No issues.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Yes but why do Sky have such poor coverage for Ultrafast Full Fibre. Current TV advert even states only about 30%.
I have Sky fibre in Mile Oak and a rock solid 850 down and 90 up. Never had a problem in nearly 10 years from the old analogue routers up until today apart from 3 days out when a workman put his pickaxe through the phone line.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes but why do Sky have such poor coverage for Ultrafast Full Fibre. Current TV advert even states only about 30%.
Dunno I have it and I live in the middle of no where.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I’ve been with BT for years and can’t remember the last time I had any issue. Interesting to hear about Virgin as I’m just in the process of cancelling Sky, who their packages wipe the floor with price-wise. I’m hoping Sky will come back with a competitive offer once the contract has ended - so far, they’re not even close.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve been with BT for years and can’t remember the last time I had any issue. Interesting to hear about Virgin as I’m just in the process of cancelling Sky, who their packages wipe the floor with price-wise. I’m hoping Sky will come back with a competitive offer once the contract has ended - so far, they’re not even close.

As well as having Zen, we’ve Virgin for TV (these days they compel you to have their router and broadband too, but I negotiated that add on down to £1 per month). Never had any issues with Virgin apart from incompetence when negotiating new contracts, download speeds 211 Mbps!

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I’m with BT for about 4 years now, previously with Sky but BT were cheaper. I’ve just moved to fibre 500MB speed & internet phone rather than landline & 70MB which works out about £10pm cheaper than before. To be fair to BT, they had to literally dig up the road & garden to put fibre in, but they did it within about 6 weeks from me signing on.

I have an app for internet phone, so if it rings & I’m out I get the call on my mobile, works very well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Yes but why do Sky have such poor coverage for Ultrafast Full Fibre. Current TV advert even states only about 30%
They nearly all use the Openreach network including Sky,Talk Talk, BT and Zen .

Which is why when I left BT for Sky i was told by BT that "Sky won't be as good" My reply was "it better be as you use the same network" a silence followed then the man on the call said "ok fair enought i got that wrong" :thumbsup: ;)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here