Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bristol City

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It helps if you make chances too. Until recently (Cardiff) we haven't.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Well, we tried to put you off, saying we didn't need the money, hanging on til the end. Pointing out one or two of Sammy's foibles to BHA types visiting our forum. But you insisted. You wouldn't leave it.

Try L1 again in January. Top scorer is Doyle at Chesterfield (15 already!) and two at our place yesterday. Swindon, Posh and mk have got goals in them, loads. Preston have Garner. Rochdale have scored a few.

Our top scorer is 34. Past it. I wouldn't bother coming back to us. And our manager, you can keep your big boy Championship hands off (for now. Until further notice/ inevitable run of poor results at some point) he's a thick, West Country idiot. Like the rest of us.

Check out Swindon, posh, mk........

What a bizarre post. I don't know if this is passive aggressive or if you believe we have some say in player recruitment or what..

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And our manager, you can keep your big boy Championship hands off (for now. Until further notice/ inevitable run of poor results at some point) he's a thick, West Country idiot. Like the rest of us.

Early days for Sam. He's been injured for the last two or three.

You're in a great position actually, in the sense that you're on a really good run, are set well for a promotion challenge, and because there is absolutely no chance of a higher placed club coming in and trying to poach your manager.

Cotterill is spent at Championship level, none of them will touch him with a bargepole. Give him a decent lower league set up though, and watch him work his magic. As you're finding.

BristolPete

Sep 24, 2014
What a bizarre post. I don't know if this is passive aggressive or if you believe we have some say in player recruitment or what..

Not to be taken seriously at all! Well, I say that, but....no, we just don't want anyone else coming in and nabbing our better players and upsetting the, er, applecart. So to speak. Not yet, at least. If we do well, inevitably Championship big guns are going to come shopping again

Go and disrupt our competitors was the message! No aggression. No hard feelings. Really liked Sam, a nice lad and hope he gets fit and scores some goals for you soon.

BristolPete

Sep 24, 2014
That is one prize pillock that no club would want. His side always played better than their opponents but were unlucky to lose and deserved more. I am sure he would say that if you lost 10 - 0

Sentiments that a large majority up here shared when he was appointed last season. Many, many unhappy people back then. And yet, he got us out of the mire and saved our skin. And has us hitting-the-ground-running this season. Up til now.

All in L1, of course, and it is only October. Plenty of time for the wheels to come off, tits go up, pear shaped etc but if, if, we are successful this season, then it will be very interesting to see the ridiculed "winner" from Cheltenham pit his wits against the exotic foreign coaches that are to be found at your level. And the not-so-exotic, like say Lee Clark, Russel Slade, Stuart Gray (if any of these are still there, and not replaced by exotic, foreign coaches from....) And then there's Stuart Pearce. Is he that much better a coach than Cotterill? If Pearce had a wurzel accent and Cotterill a cockney one and a world cup semi to his name, who'd be the better coach then?

All guesswork and opinion. Who knows? We got to win some more L1 games first before we can start thinking about all that

BristolPete

Sep 24, 2014
Early days for Sam. He's been injured for the last two or three.

You're in a great position actually, in the sense that you're on a really good run, are set well for a promotion challenge, and because there is absolutely no chance of a higher placed club coming in and trying to poach your manager.

Cotterill is spent at Championship level, none of them will touch him with a bargepole. Give him a decent lower league set up though, and watch him work his magic. As you're finding.

Largely agree with you, although, if he is successful here this season, he is pretty much guaranteed at least one more shot at the Championship!

Now, when you say no chance he will be poached "upwards" did you ever think Russel Slade would be a championship manager? It really is a "funny old game" these days. But you're probably right. No one tempted Gary Johnson when he had us at Wembley in 08, the Prem but a whisker away...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Largely agree with you, although, if he is successful here this season, he is pretty much guaranteed at least one more shot at the Championship!

Now, when you say no chance he will be poached "upwards" did you ever think Russel Slade would be a championship manager? It really is a "funny old game" these days. But you're probably right. No one tempted Gary Johnson when he had us at Wembley in 08, the Prem but a whisker away...

I merely meant that Cotterill has been there before and failed, hence clubs won't be so keen. Slade and Johnson were both successful (mostly) at lower league levels and hadn't failed higher up, which is why I think they've had chances from Championship clubs.

Cotterill is also thought of as a long ball merchant, which may also put most Championship clubs off (I'm not saying there are no direct in this league, but clubs tend to be wary of advertising that fact too obviously. If/when he gets City up, he'll deserve his chance to have a go at the Championship with you, quite rightly. I wasn't saying he was crap, just that I don't think you need to fear him leaving any time soon.

BristolPete

Sep 24, 2014
I merely meant that Cotterill has been there before and failed, hence clubs won't be so keen. Slade and Johnson were both successful (mostly) at lower league levels and hadn't failed higher up, which is why I think they've had chances from Championship clubs.

Cotterill is also thought of as a long ball merchant, which may also put most Championship clubs off (I'm not saying there are no direct in this league, but clubs tend to be wary of advertising that fact too obviously. If/when he gets City up, he'll deserve his chance to have a go at the Championship with you, quite rightly. I wasn't saying he was crap, just that I don't think you need to fear him leaving any time soon.

We've given goals away this season "pissing" about trying to play the ball around a bit too much. But also scored a couple of fine goals moving the ball on the deck from back to front. Much to the surprise of many up here who expected hoofball. There has been a mix of both really. I have thought myself what you say there about him probably being less likely to be tempted by bigger clubs, because of the reputation for basic football, and his other "presenting" features, eg, his pub team manager quotes and interviews. All very entertaining while we are winning! But we're beginning to think there's a bit more than meets the eye (and ears) with Cotterill

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
We've given goals away this season "pissing" about trying to play the ball around a bit too much. But also scored a couple of fine goals moving the ball on the deck from back to front. Much to the surprise of many up here who expected hoofball. There has been a mix of both really. I have thought myself what you say there about him probably being less likely to be tempted by bigger clubs, because of the reputation for basic football, and his other "presenting" features, eg, his pub team manager quotes and interviews. All very entertaining while we are winning! But we're beginning to think there's a bit more than meets the eye (and ears) with Cotterill
C'mon mate,be fair...we did let you have Adam cheaply ...good luck for the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here