Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's Roberto De Zerbi drawing attention of Europe's top clubs

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We would be absolutely mental to accept that, although if RDZ will just go on strike anyway then we may not have much choice !!
What evidence is there that he’d go on strike? This is a man whose principles led him to stay in the Ukraine until all the players were safely out of the country.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
What evidence is there that he’d go on strike? This is a man whose principles led him to stay in the Ukraine until all the players were safely out of the country.
No evidence but if his principles are that strong why are his reps on a world tour talking to other clubs while he is still under contract?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Francesco Farioli. Worked with De Zerbi. Very clever manager working wonders at Nice.
He was touted months ago by our resident manager talent spotter, @Bozza 😉 I think he is also a possibility for Ratcliffe to want him for Liverpool.

As regards Barca, they can’t afford RDZ ( not without us setting aside his release clause and I can’t see TB/PBOBE thinking that would make good business sense, the whole point of our release clauses is it helps up to be financially sustainable…

We would be absolutely mental to accept that, although if RDZ will just go on strike anyway then we may not have much choice !!
I think RDZ refusing to leave Ukraine until all his players were out safely and his celebrations at the 4:1 Palace win puts paid to the idea that he is the sort of person who would down tools if conditions were not to his liking. In fact, he has said repeatedly that he is very results orientated - that means being committed to finishing the season at least with our FA Cup and Europa Cup run still in contention as well as getting us a top 10 finish..
Maybe the idea is to give us Fati for another season in lieu of paying the release clause?
Nice idea to have Fati for another season - we may get that anyway given his long injury during what was supposed to be his rehab period. We are not however, going to facilitate the transfer of our manager by setting aside a £10 M release clause in exchange for an ex-prodigy teenager who is still well off his form from his career changing injury - especially not for a season’s loan- we only paid £8 mil for the first loan agreement.

i actually don’t care anymore.
me neither for the reasons you say 🤷🏻‍♂️
…. what’s annoying is how we barely get a year out of any of these people. zero chance of us getting any success ever if the foundations have to be ripped out every twelve months or so.
Yes it’s frustrating but that is exactly how we have improved our year in year out season performance - by buying talent in cheap and selling at a profit and overall, we have improved the quality of the team with the replacements.

I think this season has arguably been an exception to that rule because of the large number of injuries which has made it difficult to bed in players ( as so many have been playing out of position). I think Baleba could still be important to us, Igor is improving and WBG has improved in buckets as has Facu ( who was always considered by RDZ to eventually replace Mackie).

RDZ will of course move on but as PBOBE has said in several recent interviews, ‘we already have the replacement in mind’ - with TB at the heart of the Club, I don’t believe whoever replaces RDZ will be a step back in terms of what we need. Until then, I am enjoying his management style and passion with which he nurtures our players.

Last edited:

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
i actually don’t care anymore. there’s nothing we can do at any level to keep anyone, whether they move for money or prestige, whether it’s our main man or just a back room staff member. what’s annoying is how we barely get a year out of any of these people. zero chance of us getting any success ever if the foundations have to be ripped out every twelve months or so. that never seems to happen to other clubs.

get it over with, let RDZ go in the summer and get Knutsen in, or Edwards if luton go down
I know people want to progress their careers but I thought and maybe naively, that being in Europe on this upward tredjectory would have more holding power. I know its slightly different for players and coaches if they consider a 'big' opportunity has come their way, but our backroom staff seem to jump ship to go to basket case clubs without a second thought too. The Albion give people their opportunity to apply their trade at the highest level but they choose to not hang around for any appropriate amount of time... I appreciate we have this noble principle of not getting in peoples way. However I hope we also do all we can to keep our talent and make them feel wanted, rather than solely focusing on succession planning. As you say, probably nothing we can do about it but its still really annoying that it always seems to be us.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
No evidence but if his principles are that strong why are his reps on a world tour talking to other clubs while he is still under contract?
That’s literally their job, to represent their clients interests. You think we hadn’t already sounded out Potter via his reps before we made a formal approach to Swansea?

Plus all we know is it’s been reported they’ve spoken to Barcelona when they were there discussing another client. It’s hardly what you are describing at all.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I know people want to progress their careers but I thought and maybe naively, that being in Europe on this upward tredjectory would have more holding power. I know its slightly different for players and coaches if they consider a 'big' opportunity has come their way, but our backroom staff seem to jump ship to go to basket case clubs without a second thought too. The Albion give people their opportunity to apply their trade at the highest level but they choose to not hang around for any appropriate amount of time... I appreciate we have this noble principle of not getting in peoples way. However I hope we also do all we can to keep our talent and make them feel wanted, rather than solely focusing on succession planning. As you say, probably nothing we can do about it but its still really annoying that it always seems to be us.
We just dont pay enough.

The only person that sticks around is barber and he's the second highest paid CEO in the league !!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
You wonder how they can afford it given the restrictions they're under but it's a move nobody could say no to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We just dont pay enough.

The only person that sticks around is barber and he's the second highest paid CEO in the league !!
That’s largely because we believe that the moving parts beneath TB and PBOBE are interchangeable. Not served us badly, really, has it?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I would not be surprised if we see interest from a major club, but it wouldn't be a total shock if he said no, still got a contract and a job to do at Brighton. Could also see Barber talking him into leaving, as £10m opposed to nothing at the end of his contract, if he wont extend, would probably get in Barbers head, especially if the next coach he wants is available.
Who knows, let's just worry about winning the Europa League, FA Cup, and finishing top 5.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We are higher up the food chain than we have ever been.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

The fact ‘it always seems to be us’ shows that a) our talent for spotting talent in recent times has been consistently excellent and b) our model is sufficiently robust that it can both allow people to succeed at a high level but also absorb their departure and allow the cycle to repeat itself.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Or, is it also that we are attracting a lot of media hype, which makes our people more desirable. I've been impressed by other team's recruitment (who don't have access to Tony's magic algorithm), but they still don't get the plaudits.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
I do think he'll be off fairly soon unfortunately.

The big clubs obviously like his style of play and development of young players, but also now he's proven he can be competent in Europe, having won the group stages with us. Plus he has a really cool name and haircut.

If Barcelona want him, then he's gone, and who can blame him.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I do think he'll be off fairly soon unfortunately.

The big clubs obviously like his style of play and development of young players, but also now he's proven he can be competent in Europe, having won the group stages with us. Plus he has a really cool name and haircut.

If Barcelona want him, then he's gone, and who can blame him.
Haircut is a bit disappointing TBF.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
If RDZ goes at the end of the season he’s getting a massive BOOOOO from me.

Potter gave us three seasons and when he left he got pelters partly because he also took all the back room staff.

If RDZ leaves in the summer he won’t have even done two seasons and will also likely take all the back room staff

Would be disappointing is we seem to have double standards. Potter gave us nearly twice as long as RDZ will have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here