Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton’s Lewis Dunk is so much more than a traditional centre-back, he’s ‘the whole package’

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really nicely-researched and well-written piece on our Captain Fantastic.

Read it - you'll like it....

Lewis Dunk is a rare breed. One of only a handful of professional footballers who will ever be a club’s top scorer in one season, play in goal in another and wear the captain’s armband for the same side. Not simultaneously, of course, yet the man born just half-an-hour from the Amex has achieved almost every footballing feat in his 19 years at Brighton & Hove Albion. Playing in Europe should be next.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
When he was waving to the fans at Fulham after being dropped following the transfer speculation all those year's ago I really thought at the time that was goodbye - he is the modern day Mr Albion

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
Very true.
He's good at hitting headers, he's good with his feet, he doesn't lose his temper, in the defensive phase he's the first one who throws himself into the slide, to tackle, to protect the goal.
He reminds me of certain Italian defenders of the past, a Chiellini type (who, despite his criminal face, boasts two degrees in economics and commerce and in business administration).
I admit I didn't see him play before De Zerbi time, so I'm not able to evaluate what he was like before.
But I trust RDZ words.
Too bad Southgate (is that right?) doesn't take him into consideration, along with Steele and Colwill (are they English?).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great article – what a leader and what a guy.

I've said it before, but I'm more than happy for Southgate to carry on ignoring him if it ensures he stays – and plays as many games – at Brighton. Really hope he stays for the rest of his career, but I have a nagging feeling he'll be tempted away somewhere.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I've said it before, but I'm more than happy for Southgate to carry on ignoring him if it ensures he stays – and plays as many games – at Brighton. Really hope he stays for the rest of his career, but I have a nagging feeling he'll be tempted away somewhere.
I'd be amazed if he went anywhere else now. He's too old for any of the big 6 to buy him, I think. The only way I can see him going is if he fancies playing for a couple of years in the sun somewhere, which would be understandable. But I don't think he will.

I wonder if he'll want to go into management at the end of his career.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

That's interesting ... personally I just can't imagine Dunky wearing anything but a Brighton shirt. In my mind he stays with us until he's too old to command a regular slot, and then has a season or two of cameos before retirement and a possible role in the coaching set-up. Would a bigger club pay megabucks for him in the next 12-18 months, or want him once he's past his prime?

Or ... would he fancy trotting out for Fulham or Southampton, or at a lower level with Pompey or Reading or Millwall or Orient or Crawley? Not saying these scenarios are impossible, but they just don't strike me as very likely.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Reading this article just frustrates me to be honest. It’s blindingly obvious how good he is yet GS, Crawley till I die, puts people like Conor Coady ahead of him!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd be amazed if he went anywhere else now. He's too old for any of the big 6 to buy him, I think. The only way I can see him going is if he fancies playing for a couple of years in the sun somewhere, which would be understandable. But I don't think he will.

I wonder if he'll want to go into management at the end of his career.
I don't think he'd move 'up' so to speak, certainly not in the PL. It's the playing abroad thing I thought *might* be more likely.

There's that whole 'short career' thing and, while he's probably one of the best-paid players at the club, it's relatively small compared to what he could've been earning at one of the 'big six'. Therefore a massive pay day in the desert would probably be a nice top-up to what he's already got.

I'm more thinking when he's potentially right at the end of his career – similar to the move down south (hopefully) that Milner is making. Or, despite the fact he's an absolute legend, the decision might come at some point from on high that there are younger, hungrier players to fill his place in the squad and he finds himself surplus to requirements, but still able to play a bit. In that case he'd be made to pass up a further opportunity, IMO. You just never know.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't think he'd move 'up' so to speak, certainly not in the PL. It's the playing abroad thing I thought *might* be more likely.

There's that whole 'short career' thing and, while he's probably one of the best-paid players at the club, it's relatively small compared to what he could've been earning at one of the 'big six'. Therefore a massive pay day in the desert would probably be a nice top-up to what he's already got.

I'm more thinking when he's potentially right at the end of his career – similar to the move down south (hopefully) that Milner is making. Or, despite the fact he's an absolute legend, the decision might come at some point from on high that there are younger, hungrier players to fill his place in the squad and he finds himself surplus to requirements, but still able to play a bit. In that case he'd be made to pass up a further opportunity, IMO. You just never know.
If I were him I'd wait until I couldn't get in the Brighton team regularly anymore, and then if my legs still let me I'd go and play in the MLS or somewhere. Big money in the sunshine for a couple of years.

There's something to be said for leaving your one club near the top of your game.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If I were him I'd wait until I couldn't get in the Brighton team regularly anymore, and then if my legs still let me I'd go and play in the MLS or somewhere. Big money in the sunshine for a couple of years.

There's something to be said for leaving your one club near the top of your game.
That's pretty much what I meant. Although Saudi/China probably offers way more money – if that's his motivation.

Jul 7, 2003
Very nice piece although I think Casper is being diplomatic when he describes Lewis as 'fairly fast'.

For all his great assets let's be honest here, pace has never really been one of them :) .

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
impressive company in the referenced fbref.com

1684411115396.png

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Good article.

The fact he has missed just 18 premier league games for us in 6 seasons in the PL (and most of those are probably through suspension!) is just incredible and testament to his durability.

The one cap thing is, and will continue to be, an absolute joke.
He's only missed a few minutes this season - when he was substituted against Liverpool right at the end of the game. Bet he's still annoyed about that! But is this the first season he's not been suspended at all? (hopefully that's not put the curse on him for the last few games).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here