Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton Women will play in Womens Super League 1 next year (probably)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Either we're a football club or we're not. Perhaps if you had a daughter who loved the game you'd modify your stone age views.

I'm actually don't understand why they don't play at the Amex and be done with it? It's either wear and tear on the pitch or running costs of the stadium. If it's wear and tear on the pitch, I'm surprised. I was on the pitch after the Wigan game and it was like a carpet - comfortably able to cope with another team playing there. Besides, mens football is littered with examples of ground sharing so it can be done. And if it's running costs, I think the club need to show a bit more ambition and faith - open up the west stand only, make it £5 entry to anyone with an existing Premier League season ticket and I reckon we'd see gates of 3,000+ in the top league pretty quickly.

We'd have to make sure there were no fixture clashes. You'd think that was a given but actually the Arsenal away game took place at exactly the same time as a women's home game. It should - I say should - be simple to make all the women's home games different weekends to the home games but this is the FA we're talking about. Similarly there would need to be some rearranging if FA Cup draws landed us with a home TV tie.

None of that is insurmountable of course, it just needs good admin. If that could happen then the suggestion you've put forward is much better than what we currently have.

I have to state this again - I'm not against the women's team at all - but I really don't see that going fully pro in Crawley makes any sense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sad to see the 1950s throwbacks are still well representated on here. Pathetic.

It seems their only arguments are -

1. they don't like women playing football, 2. Personal abuse, 3. Misogyny.

Even the 1950s would've been ashamed of that.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I'm not a member of the PC brigade as you call it, and as such will say something in-PC - you are an arse!

As far as I was aware this is a Brighton Football Club forum and as such talk about things related to BHAFC, the women's team is part of the Brighton family so gas a place here!

Why because i dare express an opinion on here which most Albion fans would agree with? Such a shame you can't have a debate without resorting to personal insults.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
It seems their only arguments are -

1. they don't like women playing football, 2. Personal abuse, 3. Misogyny.

Even the 1950s would've been ashamed of that.

I don't give a **** about whether women want / don't want to play football, but I don't like the fact women's football is elevated to the same status as the men's game. It's a minority sport which has little interest amongst the vast majority of football fans. If you took a sample of Brighton fans at the match tomorrow and said 'name me one albion women footballer' I would imagine the results would show a tiny percentage could do so.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe they could play in plimsoles at the Amex before the men come out for the real thing at 3pm? Then the pitch doesn't get damaged and they get a bit of a crowd?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Would wager 99% of Brighton fans couldn't name one Albion woman's team player.

If you took a sample of Brighton fans at the match tomorrow and said 'name me one albion women footballer' I would imagine the results would show a tiny percentage could do so.

Every time the adverts come on it's 'Who Killed the F*ing Zutons', I'm not buying it on principle.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
I don't give a **** about whether women want / don't want to play football, but I don't like the fact women's football is elevated to the same status as the men's game. It's a minority sport which has little interest amongst the vast majority of football fans. If you took a sample of Brighton fans at the match tomorrow and said 'name me one albion women footballer' I would imagine the results would show a tiny percentage could do so.
Exactly.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I emailed Paul Barber to ask about the decision to play at Crawley, and got a reply within 10 minutes - impressive response as always :) His answer was:

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a stadium with a grass pitch in Brighton & Hove that meets The FA’s and the club’s requirements for a Tier One women’s football license. The Amex isn’t an option on the basis of cost.

Through our men’s U23 team, we have an excellent existing relationship with Crawley Town FC. Using Crawley’s stadium for our women’s 1st team games in the future enables us to build on this.

Playing our U23s games at Crawley hasn’t been a barrier to building a good regular attendance. And Crawley’s stadium, including proximity to major roads and to parking, make it accessible to many people.

Part of our commitment to The FA in securing a Tier One license is a marketing plan that will be designed to drive attendances for our women’s team and to making our team financially sustainable.

Thank you for your support for all of our teams.

Regards, Paul

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I can't name any Bayern Munich players, bar them from the Champions League... :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I saw no debate in your post hence the name calling and furthermore I don't believe Most Brighton fans would agree with your twisted point of view!

I enjoyed post 17, where he called this forum, mens' Nsc. I bet he couldn't tell which posters are men and which are women. Should Bozza ban him from Nsc? :lolol:

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I saw no debate in your post hence the name calling and furthermore I don't believe Most Brighton fans would agree with your twisted point of view!

I've expressed an opinion which surely is what you do on a debating forum?? 'Twisted' eh? Thats a bit strong!!!!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I emailed Paul Barber to ask about the decision to play at Crawley, and got a reply within 10 minutes - impressive response as always :) His answer was:
So, essentially, like the U23s, the reason they cannot play at Culver Road is that the pitch there isn't natural grass ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I meant the 'mens team' . I would advocate a seperate NSC for issues relating to the women's game.

A separate Nsc for Brexit, a separate Nsc for television programmes, a separate Nsc for Apple products? The list is endless. I'm sure Bozza would be delighted to help you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here