Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Anyone want to own up?
7cdf3bd899ef9ebacc49956aa68f8931.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Hove Born n Bred pulled?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
“I would be very proud to serve. The fact that I have an exceptional knowledge of the entire city I grew up in would be beneficial not just for Withdean residents but for those living in the wider conurbation”.

That’s the kind of confidence that pulls inflatables.

I would imagine that unless you were a complete and utter **** that would be enough to defend what was always one of the safest seats on the council :laugh:

Ann and Ken were not amused.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would imagine that unless you were a complete and utter **** that would be enough to defend what was always one of the safest seats on the council :laugh:

Ann and Ken were not amused.

One door closes, another one opens. Resuming his twatter expertise on the Albion and SCCC, helped by having truly exceptional local knowledge.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The citys image!!???...thats a joke ive lived here now for over 50 years and i can tell you that in the last 10 years it has slowly become the biggest shit hole it has ever been

Yet there are so many posters on here (a good t'internet friend included) that won't hear it.

Not just because the rubbish is piling up, that's just the latest symptom.

I've not been into Brighton for a while, but there's every possibility, if I popped over today I wouldn't notice a difference.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
54 HGV drivers paralysing the city's waste collection and recycling processing is unacceptable.
The latest negotiating tactic by the GMB, stretching the paralysis months into the future, is also unacceptable.

No matter what grievances the HGV drivers have, the very first responsibility of the council is to clear up the mess for which they are ultimately responsible.

The most urgent mess is the piles of rotting waste.

A secondary mess, is a small group of well organised employees, led by a career agitator, who have engineered a position in which they can hold the city and its citizens to ransom. They have abused their power for decades, deliberately preventing the council from carrying out its duties.

In the short term, I don't know what emergency measures the council might be considering, but I hope they are introduced very soon.

Here is a possible solution for the medium term. The HGV drivers are often described as essential workers. I disagree. Emptying our bins is an essential service, but the drivers of the HGV vehicles need not be essential. The HGV vehicles could be replaced with smaller electric waste collection vehicles, which anyone can operate without an HGV licence. This would reinforce the city's green credentials, and the HGV drivers would then become candidates for redundancy. Those who are open to redeployment can stay. Those who remain militant and refuse change, can leave.

For the long term, I'm afraid the solution involves removal of the key agitator. The exclusion of Mark Turner, GMB convenor, from all further negotiations/consultations with staff has to be a pre-requisite. His militancy and intransigence belongs to a bygone age.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yet there are so many posters on here (a good t'internet friend included) that won't hear it.

Not just because the rubbish is piling up, that's just the latest symptom.

I've not been into Brighton for a while, but there's every possibility, if I popped over today I wouldn't notice a difference.

I went in on Sunday. I can tell you that you would. There are overflowing bins everywhere - it looks disgusting. Rats everywhere soon - mark my words.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I went in on Sunday. I can tell you that you would. There are overflowing bins everywhere - it looks disgusting. Rats everywhere soon - mark my words.

I'm sure you're correct, if there are overflowing bins everywhere.
As opposed to many overflowing bins, as usual.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
For the long term, I'm afraid the solution involves removal of the key agitator. The exclusion of Mark Turner, GMB convenor, from all further negotiations/consultations with staff has to be a pre-requisite. His militancy and intransigence belongs to a bygone age.

Agree - having listened to him on the radio yesterday he certainly didn't seem to be that interested in finding a solution.

Having said that they also had someone on from the Council - clearly way out of his depth and had the negotiation skills of a slug.

The perfect storm.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Agree - having listened to him on the radio yesterday he certainly didn't seem to be that interested in finding a solution.

Having said that they also had someone on from the Council - clearly way out of his depth and had the negotiation skills of a slug.

The perfect storm.

Why would you expect Mark Turner to want to find a solution? If he did so, he would make himself redundant.

It's his job to agitate, sow discontent and disrupt.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he isn't planning next year's dispute. In all likelihood, inflation will have risen by next spring, giving him the perfect excuse to justify a campaign for another pay rise, demanding more than he knows the Council can afford.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Build a bonfire at the bottom of my garden on Saturday as its going to be cloudy.
Burn the contents of my waste bin, recycling bin which are overflowing.
Job done. :moo:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The offer made is an interesting read.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19644130.done-end-bin-strike-brighton/

To be honest, I'm not sure I'd want to manage CityClean if that's what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for posting, even if it is a dull read.
That article cites the council's chief exec, who I'd imagine is appointed rather than elected.
Can anyone indicate who are the key actors in this dispute because it all seems incredibly labyrinthine (and I'm blaming the PPF contract for that, perhaps incorrectly), and there are at least four actors/parties involved:
-- the workers and their union (GMB)
-- their direct employers (CityClean)
-- Geoff Raw, the council's chief exec (and presumably his staff)
-- 'the council', by which I mean the minority Green administration

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here