Brighton vs. Hull City 1996

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
14th December 1996. Gritt's first game in charge. Gritt believes Bellotti bullshit. Paul Mcdonald puts us one up! Balloons let off in Hove Park pre game. Does anyone remember the fellow that hand-cuffed himself to the North Stand goal at half time? Just wondered if he was still about???!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I remember it well - I'd been in Australia for a little over 3 months and the Albion had not won a home game in the whole time I'd been away. I landed in the UK that morning and was picked up by my then girlfriend (later wife, still later ex-wife). Whilst she was waiting for me at Heathrow, her father was doing the spray painting at the back of the West Stand whilst his daughter (my sister-in-law for a while) kept watch on Old Shoreham Road. He actually made a typo (a sprayo?) - mis-spelling 'believes'.

I've seen the chap who handcuffed himself to the North goal that day from time to time and I think he is an NSCer. I won't repeat his name here as it doesn't seem right to do so.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Never forget it as it turned out to be my last game at the Goldstone, although at the time I didn't know it would be. However, I could have sworn it was 97. In fact I'm certain.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Shame someone couldn't spell........................

"Grit believes Bellotti bullshit"

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Was this the game with whistles being blown all through it as well?

Yes and I had a banging hangover that day so went and sat in the South Stand as I thought it might be a bit quieter but how wrong I was...Whistles all around me.

Also, I believe the Hull City action group Tigers 2000 were protesting against their chairman that day as well, a chap ironically named Fish.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It's one of the games I remember quite vividly from 96/97, as it marked a big turning point.

The weather was freezing, Hull City had a strange red/purple kit and the whistles lightened the dark mood around the place. Steve Gritt walked into such a difficult job and didn't get a very good reception. It followed that awful Darlington game we lost 3-2 (who were second bottom at the time) and Jimmy Case had been sacked but Ian Baird and Craig Maskell's goals won so many crucial games in the second half of the season at the Goldstone.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Never forget it as it turned out to be my last game at the Goldstone, although at the time I didn't know it would be. However, I could have sworn it was 97. In fact I'm certain.

it was december 1996, the last home game before christmas i think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports