Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Walsall Match Ratings

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
But it's a ridiclous 'rule'. It should, in theory, happen less often, but if someone belts one in the top corner that just happens to be the keeper's near post then there isn't much you can do about it.

NO of course not, if a shot is that good then it doesn't matter where you stand. The thought behind protecting your near post is that if a striker has to aim for the far post its harder because A. it's a tougher angle and B. the chances are that the ball will have to travel quite close to defenders who will have a chance of clearing it.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Indeed, hence I said goals at the near post will happen less often. Doesn't mean that you should save it if it's a cracking shot though.

No, but in this instance it wasn't a cracking shot in the top corner was it. Granted it had power but it was at a reasonable height and it should IMO have been either caught or at the very least pushed away.

Anyway, hopefully he's fit for next week as I think it's in those kind of games that he excels in. What was the injury problem at the end all about??

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
As you've been so realistic about it, I should make a confession too - and that is that I think he should have saved it. Which I said at the game within 5 seconds of it happening and I think even more now having seen it on tv:blush:

As for his injury, Walsall knocked it over the top and he came racing out. It was 60/40 in his favour and he got their first but Byfield (who was entitled to go for it) clattered into him. He was down quite a while actually, but no way will he be out next week. Which bearing in mind the state of that Slovakian clown is a bloody godsend!!!

:ohmy: Now thats the TCB I remember from two years ago!

I'll be honest too... one mistake doesnt a shit keeper make and Michel is not shit and the jury, for me is still out on Brezovan for the same reason. But, and I am being honest, we didnt have these conversations about Michel (that I remember) two years ago.... Im just no sure he is as fit as he was or as reliable as he was.. the only real complaint we could point at him in the past was his kicking (which seesm to have improved). Im not saying he ahs to go but he is still very important to us but the last two seasons haev emphasisezed the fact that since Roberts left we have had a keeper problem. One good kepper ids just not enough.

But of course I dont go to games... just watch the highlights... so my opinion doesnt count :thumbsup:

Olliebha

Jan 17, 2010
Brighton
No keeper is going to have a great game everyweek and I give my full backing to FDM. And could everyone just be happy that we've beaten a good top half team!:angel:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought the shot was from inside the box, not 25 yards, but we're getting sideshowed here surely.

Compared to the recent wins I have seen at Exeter, Torquay and Wycombe, this was a HUGE improvement, and we looked the better side for 85 out of the 90 minutes.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Kuipers 7 - Solid

Painter - 8 - Good composure, defensively sound
Elphick - 7 - Good performance, shackelled his tricky striker very well
Virgo - 8 - A collosus at the back
Calderon - 8 - Swashbuckling full back who loves to get forward, great first impression

Bennett - 8 - An excellent attacking outley, bags of skill and pace
Dicker - 9 - Everything good went through him, always wanting the ball, teriffic.
Navarro - 7 - Not as good as Dicker but did what was asked of him
Crofts - 6 - Quiet, but always good on thr ball.

Forster - 8 - Excellent work rate, good goal
Murray - 8 - Shows real glimpses of genuine quality, led the line with Forster well

Support 9 - Great vocal support and a real optimism that we are well and truly on our way now in this new era under Gus.

:clap:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Kuipers 7 - Solid

Painter - 8 - Good composure, defensively sound
Elphick - 7 - Good performance, shackelled his tricky striker very well
Virgo - 8 - A collosus at the back
Calderon - 8 - Swashbuckling full back who loves to get forward, great first impression

Bennett - 8 - An excellent attacking outley, bags of skill and pace
Dicker - 9 - Everything good went through him, always wanting the ball, teriffic.
Navarro - 7 - Not as good as Dicker but did what was asked of him
Crofts - 6 - Quiet, but always good on thr ball.

Forster - 8 - Excellent work rate, good goal
Murray - 8 - Shows real glimpses of genuine quality, led the line with Forster well

Support 9 - Great vocal support and a real optimism that we are well and truly on our way now in this new era under Gus.

:clap:
You always get a different view listening to the radio.Kuipers got a hammering for not coming for crosses and was at fault for there goal.Dicker didn't have one of his better games.Kept giving the ball away cheaply according to the commentators.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When will people start listing the teams correctly as has been the course for the past 80+ years the back four should be listed from right to left.

To revert to the FDM controversy I do not feel that he was to blame for the goal but do think he could and should have done better. We need to sign a new no 1 in the summer and keep either FDM or Brezovan as back up. We need a keeper who will come for crosses and dominate his area.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Just seen the goals, nice finishes from Murray, Forster and Richards. I'm not a huge Kuipers fan, but think the criticism is a bit harsh. Still it's worth bringing up next time someone is banging on about how Michel is " a great shot stopper".

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
25 YARDS at the near post?!!!

f*** me, I was stood behind the goal, and have watched the BBC TV highlights, he was no more than 12 yards when he smashed that, and look at the freeze frame, there were 2 players he could have squared it to, so Kuipers had to be conscious of that too. No way was it a keeping error, get a life you exaggerating twats who didn't even go to the game.

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
Get Brezovan back in. They have both made errors but Brezovan seems the more accomplished keeper.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
To revert to the FDM controversy I do not feel that he was to blame for the goal but do think he could and should have done better. We need to sign a new no 1 in the summer and keep either FDM or Brezovan as back up. We need a keeper who will come for crosses and dominate his area.

We've brought in 24 of them and none have managed it yet.

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
The best thing about yesterday was Virgo and Elphick at centre back. Tunnicliffe is not as good as some think and from the sound of it, we have a very strong back line now.
Feel sorry if Whing doesn't get to play against Villa but shouldn't get to play for sentimental reasons. Calderon to start, with Virgo Elphick and Mcnulty replacing Painter.

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
Kuipers 7 - Could do nothing about the goal, thought he made a wonder save right at the end, turned out it was Virgo.
Painter - 6 - Looked ok, didn't get forward much, looks more like a centre back than left back.
Elphick - 7 Was unfortunate with the booking, but was solid all game along with Virgo
Virgo - 8 - Amazing last minute block
Calderon - 8 - Very impressed with him, linked up well with Bennett, wants to get forward.
Bennett - 8 -He had the better of their left back in the first half, second half we were holding on a bit so couldn't get him all the ball enough.
Dicker - 7 - Made a couple of dodgy passes on the edge of our own area, but he was one of the few players who wanted the ball.
Navarro - 5 - jekyll and hyde performance, one minute he'd be composed on the ball and pick his teammates out, next he'd just pass it straight to the opponants.
Crofts - 5 - Didn't notice he was playing until about the 70th minute, made some good runs into the box, and a couple of decent tackles.

Forster - 8 - Ran himself into the ground, grabbed a great goal and always looked threatening.
Murray - 8 - Won almost every header, held the ball up well, an excellent partner for Forster.

Other points: At moments in the first half I couldn't believe it was us out there, some brilliant passing moves, the players were full of confidence. Second half we were under a lot of pressure but held out well.

There were a couple of mad moments, the Virgo foul on Byfield when he was clean through, (don't know how it wasn't a penalty,) and a back-pass by Painter to Kuipers, which led to fans behind me going apoplectic at the linesman as they thought Byfield was offside.

Finally, why does Liam Dickinson not win ANYTHING in the air?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here