Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Newcastle - Player Ratings

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Ankergen 7 - Played it about well at the back. When called into action, dealt with it well.
David 9 - Quality passing, ball control and assist.
El-Abd 7 - Defended well and WUM skills was key to the sending off.
Greer 8 - Solid and superb ball to Bridge for the assist.
Bridge 8 - Great assist, always so composed and positive in attacking.
Bridcutt 9 MOTM - Defensively world class, no exaggeration.
Hammond 8 - Good passing and moving.
Dicker 8 - As above.
Orlandi - 8 - Slow start but decent game, marked up for the goal.
Barnes - 7 - So important to the teams tenacity all over the pitch.
CMS - 6 - Poor game, didn't demand the ball or do much with it when he got it.
Totally agree with this except give Ankergen 8 as he kept a clean sheet and did what he had to do well and distributed the ball well.

Subs KLL - 8 - great first 10 mins, didn't get the ball for 10 mins and excellent last 10 mins.
Hoskins - 8 - Fantastic finish.
Crofts - 7 - Didn't have much to do but was always available for the ball and great experience to call upon.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I thought Gary Dicker was excellent today, by far his best performance for the Albion. He just seemed sharper, more decisive in his passing and dare I say it but a yard quicker.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Ankergen 7
David 8
El-Abd 8
Greer 8
Bridge 8
Bridcutt 10
Hammond 8
Dicker 7
Orlandi - 9
Barnes - 7
CMS - 7

SUBS
Hoskins - 7
Lua Lua - 7
Crofts - 6

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Nice win but i did hope Newcastle would have brought a team down that could have made a game of it seeing as it was in live tv I know they have just sold ba and they had a few knocks but they did not even give it a go

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Ankergren - 7. Did what he had to, and I was surprisingly relaxed with him between the sticks.

Lopez - 8.5. Shame about the theatrics (would've been a 9 otherwise), but his composure on the ball is sublime and I don't think I've ever seen a more perfectly weighted pass than the one to set up Hoskins.
Greer - 8. Calm on the ball, great long ball for Bridge to run onto.
El-Abd - 8. Worked his usual magic today with Ameobi :lolol: Also very composed.
Bridge - 8.5. Ran down the wing several times today and did brilliantly to keep Greer's long ball in AND put in an excellent cross at once.

Hammond - 8. Didn't really notice him that much to be honest, but the times I did notice him he was doing things right.
Bridcutt - 9.5 MOTM. I think I love him.
Dicker - 9. Fantastic performance today, possibly one of his best for us? I can see why Gus likes him, he has a great range of passing and tends to pull them off.
Orlandi - 8.5. Exquisite finish and is only getting better for us. He's really starting to show what he can do on the ball too.

Barnes - 8. Another great showing from Ash. His dribbling seems to be improving a lot actually.
Mackail-Smith - 6. Kept the Newcastle back 4 on their toes, but that's pretty much it to be honest :shrug:

----------

Lualua - 7.5. Really livened things up when he came on and was pretty close to scoring.
Hoskins - 8. Looked up for it from where I was sitting, clean and clinical finish. So glad that he's got off the mark, I reckon he'll be banging them in from now on in.
Crofts - 7.5. Replaced a tiring and booked Hammond. I remember one mesmerising run where he had about 4 Newcastle players around him and somehow managed to keep the ball after walking through all of them!

Gus - 10 for his reaction to Orlandi's goal alone, but backed up by the team selection and substitutions. Obviously his rating depends heavily on the players' performances so I don't normally include a rating for him...

Today was a proper footballing performance with some proper flair and some proper finishing.
Pwoppa.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
el-abd, I thought he played very well and intelligently today a 9 for me.
my mates a NU fan and liked kll, but if only he looked up as could of passed an easy ball in the box for our player.
bridcutt ,very good.
not the best game weve played but great team performance!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Ankegren - 7

Lopez - 8
Greer - 7
El-Abd - 7
Bridge -8

Bridcutt - 9
Hammond - 7
Dicker - 7
Orlandi - 8

Barnes - 6
CMS - 6

LuaLua - 7
Hoskins - 7
Crofts - 6

Stumpy Tim

Ankergen 7 - Decent display, couple of decent saves but doesn't inspire the confidence compared to the PIG
David 8 - Quality on the ball, sufficient defensively
El-Abd 7.5 - Winding up Ameobi all game
Greer 7.5 - Good on the ball, solid defensively
Bridge 8.5 - Quality
Bridcutt 9.5 - Fantastic display - irreplaceable to us. He's an £8m player as it would cost that much to replace him
Hammond 7 - solid work largely went unnoticed
Dicker 7.5 - great to have a midfielder looking to play the forward pass quickly
Orlandi - 8 - great finish and good game.
Barnes - 7.5 - Does the defensive winger/striker role better than anyone
CMS - 7 - don't understand the stick he's getting for this game as I thought he played well, and I'm usually a critic

SUBS
Hoskins - 7
Lua Lua - 7.5
Crofts - 6

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
I was a bit annoyed with the Commentators keep going on about the depleted Newcastle side. Apart from that year in the Championship a couple of years ago, they have been a Prem side all the time, and with that been able to attract and pay top players and promising youngsters. With the exception of Lopez, Bridge and Orlandi, our starting XI were all playing League 1 two years ago with most of them with us and Hammond at Saints and CMS at Peterborough. Throw in Hoskins at Bristol Rovers and Crofts being with us the year before that, and you can see what decent coaching can do to players. To the neutral, there was only one side trying to play football mainly on the ground.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ankergen 7 - Decent display, couple of decent saves but doesn't inspire the confidence compared to the PIG
David 8 - Quality on the ball, sufficient defensively
El-Abd 7.5 - Winding up Ameobi all game
Greer 7.5 - Good on the ball, solid defensively
Bridge 8.5 - Quality
Bridcutt 9.5 - Fantastic display - irreplaceable to us. He's an £8m player as it would cost that much to replace him
Hammond 7 - solid work largely went unnoticed
Dicker 7.5 - great to have a midfielder looking to play the forward pass quickly
Orlandi - 8 - great finish and good game.
Barnes - 7.5 - Does the defensive winger/striker role better than anyone
CMS - 7 - don't understand the stick he's getting for this game as I thought he played well, and I'm usually a critic

SUBS
Hoskins - 7
Lua Lua - 7.5
Crofts - 6

All spot on, for me.

The EXPERT in the Daily Star disagrees though:

Ankergen 6, David Lopez 7, El-Abd 6, Greer 6, Bridge 8, Bridcutt 6, Hammond 6, Dicker 6, Orlandi 6, Barnes 6, Mackail-Smith 6

What a lazy tosser. I guess they just use a template with everyone starting on 6, and change a couple to make it look like they actually WATCHED the game!

To make it worse, he gave Williamson a 7. Nobody who watched that game, and thought Williamson was better than Bridcutt, should be getting PAID to watch football matches!

Stumpy Tim

The EXPERT in the Daily Star disagrees though:

What a lazy tosser. I guess they just use a template with everyone starting on 6, and change a couple to make it look like they actually WATCHED the game!

To make it worse, he gave Williamson a 7. Nobody who watched that game, and thought Williamson was better than Bridcutt, should be getting PAID to watch football matches!

Stop bullying him

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Can't be bothered to do the full team but...

Bridders immense as usual
Midfield had a much better balance than usual with Bridders sitting, Hammond box-to-boxing, and Dicker playmaking
Glad Orlandi reached that ball before CMS who would have ballooned it over the bar
Newcastle were toilet

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Ankergen 7 - Littlw to do but what he did, he did well
David 8 - On current form, our best RB. Barring the laughable overreaction he ws excellent
El-Abd 7.5 - Much more like his normal self and really wound Ameobi up
Greer 7.5 - Again, shackled Newcastle's forward well
Bridge 8.9 - Just superb. His speed to get to Greer's long ball and the quality o his deliver from it was super
Bridcutt 9.5 - Simple sensational. And for a defensive midfield role thats very hard to noticeably excell in, he's doing a phenomenal job
Hammond 8 - A lot of graft and linked up really well across the park
Dicker 8 - As above. Passing was very good
Orlandi - 8.5 - What a finish, Could be a very, very good player for us
Barnes - 8 - Put in a real shift and linked up well with Lopez
CMS - 7 - Worked hard as always but we either were looking in the wrong places for him, or he was running into the wrong places. Newcastle's defense relaxed a tad when he went off

Subs:
Hoskins - 7 - Led the line well and a lovely run and finish
Lua Lua - 7.5- Made an impact but still needs to look up more
Crofts - 6 - Not bad but still drifts dangerously close to anonymous

Gus - 10 - Got the tactics and the team spot on. Took no risks and got it absolutely right.

Newcastle - 3 -At best. Very, very poor but this was highlighted by us being so good yesterday.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sky Voting Rules

These are the standard rules we will be using:

10: Out of this world - very rare, exceptional performances only.

9: Excellent - Top-class display, probably the matchwinner.

8: Very Good - Outstanding, very influential.

7: Good - Impressive, eye-catching.

6: Average - No major faults, nothing overly impressive.

5: Below Average - Some faults, out-of-touch.

4: Poor - Many faults, easy to criticise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here