Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Under 18's 0-3 Derby County Under 18's

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Looks like you're youth aren't currently upto much? A shame really, I'd love for us to have played each other in the 4th round.

We beat Cardiff away 3-0, hopefully the draw this season will be kinder to us and we'll have a good crack at winning it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd love to sit here and defend our youth team, but youth development is the ONLY thing Palace have had going for them in the last few years. :thumbsup:

willie irvine

Feb 3, 2009
I'd love to sit here and defend our youth team, but youth development is the ONLY thing Palace have had going for them in the last few years. :thumbsup:

Ours isn't to shabby having produced players who have totalled around 1700 professional appearances for the club since the centre of excellence was formed.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hey, I love our youth team! I was reading through some old programmes the other day (01/02 season) and was chuckling heartily at the youth team players who would go on to be key first team players. I remember reading an interview with Wilkins (not in those days) saying that he always thought results at youth team level were irrelevant, it was all about moulding the players into better individuals. I think it was the same article where he talked about playing Elphick at left back, for example, to make him more balanced as a player and to improve him all round. I think he mentioned playing Hammond at centre back to improve his defensive awareness aswell? Or something like that. Our youth team has been extremely successful for the last decade, it's been fantastic and we've had good cup runs in the FA Youth Cup, who will forget the Chelsea game at the Withdean where we all championed Joe Gatting?! And Everton either last season or the season before! Our youth set up has been fantastic for a long time, but Palace have a very good one aswell.

Madness

Dec 7, 2010
Arsenal u 18's 1 v CPFC U18'S 4 a couple of weeks ago, seems like the futures bright at Palace.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Got a reputation for going for big boys at most age groups, but they have got a few through to the first team so fairplay.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if palace could have kept together some of the players that have come through their tyouth team they'd have a pretty decent side right now

i cannot think of one youth team product we have produced who is playing at a higher level than us now in light of the fact joel lynch seems to have spent the majority of his forest career in the stiffs

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
How many have come through Palace that our playing in the Championship ?

It a serious question I just dont know.

Victor Moses, who rumour has it came from Nigeria without documentation and then given an age, that was likely to be less than his actual then put through private school and flourished ( maybe playing against kids two years his junior ).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Palace fan in my office says that the Palace Youth system and players aren't actually owned by Crystal Palace, is this not correct anymore?

Madness

Dec 7, 2010
The Palace fan in my office says that the Palace Youth system and players aren't actually owned by Crystal Palace, is this not correct anymore?
Players arn't owned by clubs they are under contract as are all Palace youth players, they come to Palace rather than the likes of Arsenal e.t.c. as they know they will get a fair chance and excellent coaching.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nathaniel Clyne is a first team regular at Palace and a youth team product I think?

They do have a decent record of producing players, that said the standard of youth football in London is generally far higher than it is around here.

I remember playing up that way years ago and watching a game on an adjacent pitch. The boys were probably U15 level. The skill and physical performances on view were light years away from what I'd seen on any Sussex pitches for that sort of age group. Maybe it's sheer numbers that allow teams to select the very best, but I doubt the level of ability has changed much since.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Nathaniel Clyne is a first team regular at Palace and a youth team product I think?

They do have a decent record of producing players, that said the standard of youth football in London is generally far higher than it is around here.

I remember playing up that way years ago and watching a game on an adjacent pitch. The boys were probably U15 level. The skill and physical performances on view were light years away from what I'd seen on any Sussex pitches for that sort of age group. Maybe it's sheer numbers that allow teams to select the very best, but I doubt the level of ability has changed much since.

Of course it is a bit of a numbers game and the 9 odd million against our Counties million or so is a major factor.

However only a few weeks ago I watched a County schools Sussex Team play against a Middlesex school team.

There was a major physical advantage for Middlesex, however the Sussex team won 2-0 and deservedly so.

Sometimes it does seem that some London boys can intimidate our Sussex based players especially at younger age groups both physically and mentally, but this doesn't last for long,

By 16,17 or 18 you learn how to deal with these anomalies and if you have been coached and encouraged to play the right way that advantage no longer exist.

To some extent player are 'owned' by clubs, once registered with a professional club you do forgo the freedom to move clubs and if you do then there is usually a fee to pay, this can result in a 10 year old having to stay at his club even if he wanted to move to another club and another club reluctant to accept that player knowing there would be a fee to pay.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I don't really get this whole boasting about the youth team. Granted it helps to have a decent coach/facilities, but it is not as if the club has created these players.

Surely it is all down to a bit of luck, scouting and who pays the most or offers better prospects rather than e.g. Crystal Palace creating the players themselves.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Well, we've got Liverpool away in the next round. It'll be a great experience for the lads albeit a difficult one...

We've got plenty of academy players in and around our first team. Sean Scannell, Lee Hills, Nathaniel Clyne, Keiron Djilali, Keiron Cadogan and a few others have made their debuts.

There's still plenty of hard work for them to do as they can be naive, but we've got every reason to be optimistic for ours and their future. Simon Jordan may have left the club in a shocking state, but a massive plus from his "legacy" is a fantastic academy setup.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
He didn't really leave the club in a shocking state, did he? He engineered things so that you could wipe out your debt... again and buy back your ground.

That's one way of looking at it I suppose, but we still had to endure 7 months of administration and came far too close to relegation for my liking...

The only reason we're in a sound financial position now is because we have four saviours in Parish, Long, Browett and Hosking...nobody else wanted to buy the club.

If we can sort out the first team squad and consolidate this season, we'll be pretty optimistic for next season. Even better if you, Charlton and West Ham care to join us!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here