Jul 18, 2003
Brighton
Piece in Pass Notes in the Guardian about Tom Hark and Brighton

No 2,553

Seagulls Ska

Monday January 10, 2005
The Guardian

What is it? It's a pop group.

And people say seabirds aren't versatile! They're not. The Seagulls Ska line-up is composed of humans. Well, Brighton and Hove Albion fans.

Shouldn't they be busy discussing the club's inability to find a regular goalscorer since the departure of Bobby Zamora? No doubt they are, but they have also a new stadium to worry about. Brighton, known as the Seagulls ...

... hence the name Seagulls Ska? You catch on quick. They currently play all their matches at the Withdean stadium, which only holds 6,973 fans, and they want to build a big one at Falmer, so they can make more money. But local residents insisted on a public inquiry, which begins at the Office for the Deputy Prime Minister next month. Seagulls Ska have just released their song, Tom Hark (We Want Falmer!), to draw attention to their cause.

And you're telling me this because? It's a hit, going straight in at number 2 on futurechart.co.uk!

Don't you only need to sell about 12 records to make the charts after Christmas? I think that was the plan. Still, it's a good song, based on the Piranhas' classic, it says here.

Sing me a snatch. "We're stuck in an athletics track we really hate, Like playing in Albania Division Eight..."

And now stop. Moving, isn't it? The man behind Seagulls Ska is pleased.

Extraordinary. Who is that man? Brighton's poet-in-residence, Attila the Stockbroker.

OK. a) since when did football clubs have a poet-in-residence? And b) what kind of name is that? I can't answer either of those questions

I find the modern world baffling sometimes. So do I.

Do sing: "One Johnny Prescott! There's only one Johnny Prescott!"

Don't sing: "Who's the bastard in the Office for the Deputy Prime Minister?"

Not to be confused with: Tern! Tern! Tern! by the Byrds, Flock Around the Rock by Bill Haley and the Guillemots

A bit cheeky but not bad for a bit of publicity, eh?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Excellent coup, presumably by aforementioned poet himself.

Shame about the facts: "But local residents insisted on a public inquiry, which begins at the Office for the Deputy Prime Minister next month."

If only. After all, who'd believe the Inquiry was actually about to begin its third round...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here