Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Tigers Ice Hockey

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Bloody hell those Brighton Tiger stats are amazing Barrow Boy!

Last 5 seasons 1960 to 65.

Played 184
Won 137
Draw 13
Lost 34

With the last season

Played 39
Won 32
Draw 3
Lost 4

So not only did they also beat the USSR, the then Olympic Champions. They were also the only team to beat the great Toronto Maple Leaf's, when they toured the UK.
But just look at those stats.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I supported the Tigers from 1960-1965. Many great memories, but unfortunately too many one-sided matches ,as the Tigers were the Man United of there day. Saturday nights we saw the wrestling,Sundays ice hockey.Did weekends get any better than that.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
I remember my Dad used to go occasionally with his brother, my uncle, who lived in Brighton and who went regularly. It was quite a trek for the old man in those days. I dont know whether they ran coaches from different parts of the county.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Small juxtaposition in the last paragraph Walt. Nice piece. It's a shame that ice appears not to make money in this country.

Cheers, hadn't spotted that.

Wouldn't it be AMAZING to have a Sussex team again? I love going up to Guildford but it does not always seem right supporting a team from Surrey...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I am old enough to have watched them and skated on the same ice. I suppose a bit like watching the Albion and then having a kick about on the pitch.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That must have been cool. Who were the other best players other than Lee?

Too long ago. I have to say Roy Shepard I suppose, as I knew his son, along time ago.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
The thread that just keeps coming back! My god I hope they reform.

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
is my sister has already said our mum ran the long bar in the ice rink and johony oxley one of the canadian players married a local girl and run the sterling arms pub till he died

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Great picture, nice blog, still working out how to get one of those tops made!
Bobby%2BLee%2Bweb.jpg

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sad news. Nobby Richardson the last living pre-war Brighton Tigers player has died at his care home in Steyning.

If anyone is interested, I have started researching a book about the Brighton Tigers. Just a labour of love really, nothing that will make any money. Have managed to get in touch with Bobby Lee's son and daughter in Canada, Hall of Famer Mike O'Brien who stills lives in Peacehaven, The Argus journalist who used to cover games and the families of some of the other former greats.

Am also going to try and include some memories from supporters so anyone on this thread who would like to offer up any comments etc, please do DM me. Same goes, of course, for anyone related to any of the old players.

Have spent a couple months on this project - just the odd evening and weekend etc - but what is really obvious is the amazing amount of affection felt by people towards the Tigers.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sad news. Nobby Richardson the last living pre-war Brighton Tigers player has died at his care home in Steyning.

If anyone is interested, I have started researching a book about the Brighton Tigers. Just a labour of love really, nothing that will make any money. Have managed to get in touch with Bobby Lee's son and daughter in Canada, Hall of Famer Mike O'Brien who stills lives in Peacehaven, The Argus journalist who used to cover games and the families of some of the other former greats.

Am also going to try and include some memories from supporters so anyone on this thread who would like to offer up any comments etc, please do DM me. Same goes, of course, for anyone related to any of the old players.

Have spent a couple months on this project - just the odd evening and weekend etc - but what is really obvious is the amazing amount of affection felt by people towards the Tigers.

Shame about Nobby, still remember him as the Saltdean Lido manager.

I know many ex-Tigers, but Mike O'Brien no doubt can fill you in.

It was funny how so many chose to find homes in Peacehaven,

Mike O'Brien, Rupe Fresher, Nipper Millard, John Cook, Tim Wiltshire, Jack Mcdonald, Roy Yeates, Nobby Richardson were in Peacehaven and many of their children grew up there.

If you need to contact either Rupe Fresher or Bob mcneil I have contact emails, knowing them all they would love to talk about the old days.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Not me, but my mum used to be a big fan and played for the female team "brighton wildcats". My brothers were also named after brighton tigers players.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Excellent piece on Bobby Lee. My first trip to the ice rink I was taken by two canadian soldiers who took me round the rink a couple of times...gave me my first taste of a chocolate bar. They went on the Dieppe raid and we never heard from them again. Do remember after the war when the rink opened again my Dad took me to see the 'Tigers' they played the 'Wembley Lions' Pailsly Pirates. Remember them beating the Russians and the Canadian touring teams. Bobby Lee was the legend who led the team. Shame they were sent to the pages of history.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
My mother use to go with my Dad and my Uncle would watch Seagulls Saturday and the Tigers on Sunday good crowds.
About time we built a ice rink in Brighton also bring back the Brighton Bears:cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery::cheery:

Pamphlet Pete

Nov 21, 2011
Brighton

I was just reading right through this great thread thinking to myself, "I wish someone would write a book about the Brighton Tigers", so I was pleased to see this. A definitive history would be brilliant if it was still possible to include all their league records and players.

I hope this project comes to fruition - I'd certainly buy a copy. And I'd love the chance to own a Tigers replica top too!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Sad news, ex-Brighton Tiger star Bob Mcneil ( 1960's ) passed away this week at home in Canada.

Last edited:

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
What a great thread. My family were well into the Tigers and all had season tickets and loved hearing the stories. Apparently there was a match at the old SS the day Kennedy was assassinated and the whole stadium was in disbelief as the news spread.
My dad made them all those old style wooden rattles painted in gold and black and they got some good use as the Tigers were that great.
Another time they all went to a cup final at Wembley Arena to play Wembley Lions and all travelled in style in a Bentley. Haven't a clue whose car that was.
Remember the teams names rolling off their tongues as they reminisced. Nottingham Panthers, Paisley Pirates, Haringay Racers, Streatham Royals,Wembley Lions and there was a team from Southampton but cannot recall the other part of their name.
I know the family were shattered when that era came to an end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here