Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton. Stand or Fall

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Genuinely interested in why this film is so much better than the Amazon Prime series about Palace

Surely both are feelgood stories about our clubs

I for one would be interested to see how BHA managed to survive with their ground sold from underneath them

Its pretty simple really. Despite being made homeless, and then being less than 30 minutes away from relegation from the Football League down into the Conference (and ultimately oblivion, as we wouldn't have been accepted), it took 20 years but we fought our way all the way back from the 4th division, moved into a spectacular new stadium, and reached the Premier League. That is a quite incredible story. BHA have stared into the abyss, but are now going into our 6th season amongst the elite. Its absolutely miraculous.

Palace, on the other hand, nearly got relegated to the third division a couple of times (oh no! Not the third tier!), whilst executing some dubious financial chicanery to artificially maintain themselves in the 2nd tier of english football, having millions upon millions written off at the expense of multiple creditors, many of them local.

Not quite the feelgood story of the year by comparison, is it.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Its pretty simple really. Despite being made homeless, and then being less than 30 minutes away from relegation from the Football League down into the Conference (and ultimately oblivion, as we wouldn't have been accepted), it took 20 years but we fought our way all the way back from the 4th division, moved into a spectacular new stadium, and reached the Premier League. That is a quite incredible story. BHA have stared into the abyss, but are now going into our 6th season amongst the elite. Its absolutely miraculous.

Palace, on the other hand, nearly got relegated to the third division a couple of times (oh no! Not the third tier!), whilst executing some dubious financial chicanery to artificially maintain themselves in the 2nd tier of english football, having millions upon millions written off at the expense of multiple creditors, many of them local.

Not quite the feelgood story of the year by comparison, is it.

I think you have oversimplified that a bit. Mark Goldberg bit off more than he could chew, and we were shafted. We didnt own the ground, it was kept by Uncle Ron, who charged us rent to play there. Simon Jordan did a lot for our club, and the 2nd admin was completely unnecessary, as it was a single hedge fund that got scared over a small amount of money. The fans paid out significant funds to help local businesses and charities after both admins

Let's be honest, the same could happen to you, should Mr Bloom ever run into financial difficulties, or his family call in the debt, sorry loan, when he passes on. The only way you have fought your way back from the edge is due to Tony's money, way more than we have had invested in us, and way more than the majority of tin pot clubs you like to deride

We fought for our club 12 years ago, by turning up outside the headquarters of Lloyds bank to lobby them into selling the ground back to the club. We have an active supporters trust that was ready to help buy the club on both occasions.

Am I proud that we have been through 2 admins? Absolutely not, but we the fans have fought tooth and nail for our club, in the same way that you have fought tooth and nail for yours.

Just not sure why you think the Brighton film will be so much better than the Palace film apart from the obvious its about my club line

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think you have oversimplified that a bit. Mark Goldberg bit off more than he could chew, and we were shafted. We didnt own the ground, it was kept by Uncle Ron, who charged us rent to play there. Simon Jordan did a lot for our club, and the 2nd admin was completely unnecessary, as it was a single hedge fund that got scared over a small amount of money. The fans paid out significant funds to help local businesses and charities after both admins

Let's be honest, the same could happen to you, should Mr Bloom ever run into financial difficulties, or his family call in the debt, sorry loan, when he passes on. The only way you have fought your way back from the edge is due to Tony's money, way more than we have had invested in us, and way more than the majority of tin pot clubs you like to deride

We fought for our club 12 years ago, by turning up outside the headquarters of Lloyds bank to lobby them into selling the ground back to the club. We have an active supporters trust that was ready to help buy the club on both occasions.

Am I proud that we have been through 2 admins? Absolutely not, but we the fans have fought tooth and nail for our club, in the same way that you have fought tooth and nail for yours.

Just not sure why you think the Brighton film will be so much better than the Palace film apart from the obvious its about my club line

Sure, both clubs and the supporters have been through tough times. But as a story / narrative arc with one club facing outright PERMANENT oblivion into non-league whilst homeless at the bottom of the 4th division, pulling back from that with less than half an hour to spare, to where we are now. Compared with the "peril" of a potential relegation to the 3rd division and a couple of administrations (which clubs like yours always come out of). Its like comparing Indiana Jones with Bridget Jones really, isn't it ?

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
Genuinely interested in why this film is so much better than the Amazon Prime series about Palace

Surely both are feelgood stories about our clubs

I for one would be interested to see how BHA managed to survive with their ground sold from underneath them

The main difference IMO is Brighton fans fought for their club and they didnt force their club to default on its debts and shaft its creditors (many Palace creditors were Palace fans!). Palace burnt its own town down and shafted its own fan creditors. Not much else to say.

Surely on reflection you must admit the Brighton story has more of a feelgood factor about it.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Because the achievement was harder and bigger and it happened over a longer period of time. Imagine if you could say that you came back from being 12 points adrift from the bottom of the professional league to being in the top flight for at least 5 years in a 25 year period. Add to that we went from having no home to having the best home in our history, and it was all done by its own fans ( like it or not Dick Knight and Tony Bloom are Brighton fans not Americans with loads of money).

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Mods,the derailment of this thread is a perfect example of why that lot are not supposed to post on non-Palace threads. I and many others would really appreciate it you could start issuing some bloody warnings/bans to these trolls when they don’t respect the house rules.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here