Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton sign Harper

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's already signed.
We signed Hambone on Monday then didn't announce it for 2 days by which time it had been leaked already. I know these lads are "only" DS for now but with fans starved of good news the club might do better to celebrate rather than hide signings.

So Bozza, we get the 22 but what was the 7 reference?

Edit: btw I know Ricky Sbragia and wouldn't read too much into his decision making :lol: he has a do what it takes mentality but taking chances isn't on his agenda. The championships he omitted this boy from his u-19's were unbeaten but failed to qualify having drawn 5 out of their 6 games

The 7 reference is his Twitter name [MENTION=26428]JackH[/MENTION]arper7.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Luxury players are my FAVOURITE.

We have a whole bunch of grafters already, and now we have FLAIR.....:banana::banana::banana::banana:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
for the doubters about development squad or first team:

real Madrid reserves in the sun and learning off world class players or Brighton under 21 and wet windy winters?

Has to be purchase for first team. It does not make any other sense.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
This is a signing to get excited about. Young, talented and more importantly MOTIVATED.

A player who realises he has to push on to further his career. This is the sort of player I want to see at the Albion.

Very much liked the look of the Baldock, Hemed partnership last night, and the prospect of Hambo and Harper knocking on the door to get in the first XI makes this a team worth getting excited about again (until a string of dismal defeats returns to business as usual again).

Mojo is rising!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
He's already signed.
We signed Hambone on Monday then didn't announce it for 2 days by which time it had been leaked already. I know these lads are "only" DS for now but with fans starved of good news the club might do better to celebrate rather than hide signings.

So Bozza, we get the 22 but what was the 7 reference?

Edit: btw I know Ricky Sbragia and wouldn't read too much into his decision making :lol: he has a do what it takes mentality but taking chances isn't on his agenda. The championships he omitted this boy from his u-19's were unbeaten but failed to qualify having drawn 5 out of their 6 games

Looking at his twitter account is Jack Harper 7 with shirt 22 in photo
https://twitter.com/jackharper7

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012

real Madrid reserves in the sun and learning off world class players or Brighton under 21 and wet windy winters?

According to the article in the Daily Heil the Real Madrid C Team he currently plays in is being scrapped so he'd be packed off on loan somewhere for the remaining 2 years of his contract. Sounds like he jumped rather than wait to be pushed.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

It does when Real Madrid have cut back on their version of the DS and he would have to have gone on loan to get competitive football.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

RM have scrapped their third team and so getting in to the B squad is a massive task and fringe players are being farmed out on loan to junior clubs instead with a real risk that they will get minimal quality coaching and their careers will stagnate and wither. You just need to look at some of our EPL clubs to see it happening here. We got Bridcutt and Ince because of their wasteful policies towards nurturing youth. Because they can afford to they choose instead to buy the best of the best and throw all but the occasional youngster on the scrap heap. Madness but hopefully as in this case we will continue to benefit from it. Until this summer Spanish Jock would have been scheduled for the C team with the chance to develop over the next one or two seasons to the B squad. Now he has no route there and hopefully it will be good news for us if he joins the DS and can challenge for the first team squad fairly quickly

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
WOW WOW WOW

This is a real shock move. Never even saw that one coming, although the Scotland set up is well known to Ewan Chester our Chief Scout who is Scottish so he has probably seen a lot of this lad.

There is absolutely no way that someone like that has been brought in for the Development Squad. He is a first team starter for sure. CH plays players like that no matter how young they are. He played Nathan Redmond in European matches for Birmingham at the age of 16 because he knew he was good enough to play.

If he's good enough, he is old enough!

Just think Duncan Edwards, Wayne Rooney, Raheem Sterling, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere etc etc

He is not a Development Squad Player, he is going to be the real deal!

Look at the unfit, older dross who have graced our pitch in the last couple of years: McCourt, Spanish Rodney, Leon Best, Barndoor etc etc. and then tell me that a player of this pedigree can't do better?

Blood the youngsters and they will get better but play at a new much higher tempo.
I am excited!

I'm as excited as you two. However, do you think he'll adapt to phyicality and pace of English football immediately? He's going to have players like Hutchinson of Fulham steaming in to him from the get go. Our one collective criticism of Tex was his initial weakness and he probably took half a season to adapt despite coming from Liverpool.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
RM have scrapped their third team and so getting in to the B squad is a massive task and fringe players are being farmed out on loan to junior clubs instead with a real risk that they will get minimal quality coaching and their careers will stagnate and wither. You just need to look at some of our EPL clubs to see it happening here. We got Bridcutt and Ince because of their wasteful policies towards nurturing youth. Because they can afford to they choose instead to buy the best of the best and throw all but the occasional youngster on the scrap heap. Madness but hopefully as in this case we will continue to benefit from it. Until this summer Spanish Jock would have been scheduled for the C team with the chance to develop over the next one or two seasons to the B squad. Now he has no route there and hopefully it will be good news for us if he joins the DS and can challenge for the first team squad fairly quickly

Which can only be great news for our academy and its future. With the players we've been able to bring in, just imagine the reputation our academy will have by the end of this season, and how that will help to persuade players to join. The future is very bright longer term. This IS the only way to generate success without running up huge losses each season.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm as excited as you two. However, do you think he'll adapt to phyicality and pace of English football immediately? He's going to have players like Hutchinson of Fulham steaming in to him from the get go. Our one collective criticism of Tex was his initial weakness and he probably took half a season to adapt despite coming from Liverpool.

No he won't. But that is no reason to not play him. He has to learn so why not in at the deep end? I doubt that many of our supporters will expect great things from him straight away and if things do not work out initially, he can play in the DS for a while then come back. I would rather we did this with a young talent than an old one, who will have little motivation playing in the DS.

If the club's strategy is to now blood the youngsters and see how they get on, rather than wasting fortunes on arseheads like Leon Best, then I am all for that. With some wise, experienced heads around him and the others, I see no reason why they cannot progress and progress quickly playing first team football. Having said that, we need to manage them properly and don't expect them to play every game. Or expect miracles from them immediately.

I am suddenly very excited about the future of our club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here