Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton sign Harper

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
With 2 year deals for both these lads you would guess the expectation is that they will transition into the first team squad by the end of year one and negotiate new contracts at that point

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So do I. I'm just wary of the hype and expectation that's already being heaped on what is, at the end of the day, a youth teamer who........
...... was being chased by Manchester City and Liverpool.

And what does it matter if he hasn't played for the Real Madrid first XI? The only difference it would make is that he wouldn't be coming here if he had. I'm not for one second saying he is the new Messiah (or even just the new Messi) but I for one am perfectly happy with this particular bit of business the club has done.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I like that he chose to move to a smaller club to further his career when Real Madrid were offering him a new contract and, instead of a youth team spot, a place in their reserve side or a loan move because they wanted to keep him.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

And what does it matter if he hasn't played for the Real Madrid first XI? The only difference it would make is that he wouldn't be coming here if he had. I'm not for one second saying he is the new Messiah (or even just the new Messi) but I for one am perfectly happy with this particular bit of business the club has done.

I'm very happy as well....and I don't often say that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was also two years older so this guy has more time to develop. My only concern is that the contract is only for two years as with the Finnish striker. If the club have that much faith why not get them on longer contracts as it would also increase their value if they were to be sold on ?

Because its a cheap punt that may or may not come off. They have little market value because they've proved nothing yet - we're investing in that indefinable commodity known as "potential", just as we did with Roland Bergkamp and Torbjorn Agdestein. There's no way of knowing whether Harper or Hambo will be able to cut it at this level, so we can only take a punt and hope that they develop with us and make an impact (although our frankly horrific record of "developing" young strikers does not flood me with confidence).

If after 2 years they don't look up to it, then they'll be released and meander their way down the leagues or into another career, and we as a club don't have to pay off an overly long contract. Makes perfect sense.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Very pleased with all our business this season and think we need only a CB and winger now. Harper surely comes in with the aim that by Xmas he's thought of and used about the same amount as JFC..... not a starter but the next best thing and plenty of gametime.

Baldock and Hemed seem a good partnership with COG as insurance this season and the hope Hambo will be that next season. Think Bong and Liam R are not getting as much comment as they deserve and will be important to the team. Bright times ahead for sure.

We are rather stacked in CM though so I wonder if Harper will initially see some time played wide which I don't think will be his best position. He seems the tip of a 5 man midfield just behind a loan striker much like Tex did

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Because its a cheap punt that may or may not come off. They have little market value because they've proved nothing yet - we're investing in that indefinable commodity known as "potential", just as we did with Roland Bergkamp and Torbjorn Agdestein. There's no way of knowing whether Harper or Hambo will be able to cut it at this level, so we can only take a punt and hope that they develop with us and make an impact (although our frankly horrific record of "developing" young strikers does not flood me with confidence).

If after 2 years they don't look up to it, then they'll be released and meander their way down the leagues or into another career, and we as a club don't have to pay off an overly long contract. Makes perfect sense.

Easy10 aint gonna like this, but I absolutely agree ... again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

And I'm perfectly happy to see us take a punt on him as well. The likes of Liverpool and Man City swallow up dozens of youngsters a season into their academies, most of whom disappear without a trace without ever having so much as a sniff of first team football, so I don't blame Harper for wanting to take his chance lower down the pyramid with us at all. I don't see it so much as a "coup" for us managing to sign him apparently from under their noses. It just shows a good attitude on Harpers part. He wants 1st team football, and hopefully he'll be ready for that at some point with us.

Good signing but for me still need 2 wingers and a CB to compete. If we had those players then signed this guy then fantastic but the reality is we still haven't laid money down for some proven players who can assist the strikers.

Sign two wingers, then look towards a CB and ST and then we are on the right tracks.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Very pleased with all our business this season and think we need only a CB and winger now. Harper surely comes in with the aim that by Xmas he's thought of and used about the same amount as JFC..... not a starter but the next best thing and plenty of gametime.

Baldock and Hemed seem a good partnership with COG as insurance this season and the hope Hambo will be that next season. Think Bong and Liam R are not getting as much comment as they deserve and will be important to the team. Bright times ahead for sure.

We are rather stacked in CM though so I wonder if Harper will initially see some time played wide which I don't think will be his best position. He seems the tip of a 5 man midfield just behind a loan striker much like Tex did

:mad: Insurance? I'm gonna disagree here. We are still woefully short up front and need to find our MAIN striker in the next two weeks if we are aiming to compete.

Agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post though.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
:mad: Insurance? I'm gonna disagree here. We are still woefully short up front and need to find our MAIN striker in the next two weeks if we are aiming to compete.

I'd say we already have two main strikers - Baldock and Hemed. With the two new youngsters and COG as backup, Colunga too if he stays, we're pretty much sorted. A couple of wingers and centre backs should be the priority now.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I'd say we already have two main strikers - Baldock and Hemed. With the two new youngsters and COG as backup, Colunga too if he stays, we're pretty much sorted. A couple of wingers and centre backs should be the priority now.

Not so sure. Haven't seen Hemed play but have obv seen Baldock. Take the inevitable injuries and bans into consideration and I think we need a better option up front than either COG or Colunga. Depends on our aspirations I guess.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I disagree. As far as strikers go, we are not pretty much sorted at all.

Baldock hasn't really shown he can cut it in the Championship yet IMO (abeit I accept he's been played out of position most of his time here). He's also a bit of a sicknote. Hemed is an unknown quantity at this time.

Behind them, Colunga and COG we already know are not goalscorers, and the kids we've just brought in cannot be considered adequate backup.

So given that, I think we still URGENTLY need an experienced striker with a proven track record at this level, or we are in for another struggle. No two ways about it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I disagree. As far as strikers go, we are not pretty much sorted at all.

Baldock hasn't really shown he can cut it in the Championship yet IMO (abeit I accept he's been played out of position most of his time here). He's also a bit of a sicknote. Hemed is an unknown quantity at this time.

Behind them, Colunga and COG we already know are not goalscorers, and the kids we've just brought in cannot be considered adequate backup.

So given that, I think we still URGENTLY need an experienced striker with a proven track record at this level, or we are in for another struggle. No two ways about it.
This. As you say we are not sorted at all.

We don't a have 20 goal striker(yet). All top sides have a 20 goal striker. We don't. We need one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This. As you say we are not sorted at all.

We don't a have 20 goal striker(yet). All top sides have a 20 goal striker. We don't. We need one.

Inevitably the most difficult and expensive commodity to acquire - and we don't seem willing or able to invest in this calibre of player any more.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Couldn't help but laugh at the email........

BRIGHTON SIGN REAL MADRID STRIKER!!

Should have said; 'Brighton obtain injured un-proven jock who's never played a professional game and hasnt played in England before' but I guess that doesnt have the same ring to it.

That said good luck to the guy. Hope he's quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here