Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton pubs that are no longer there

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I was amazed to discover that, even in a city like Brighton, with what seems like a pub on every other street corner in the centre, once had half as many pubs again.

What now look like ordinary terraced houses in my road were once very simple pubs, many of them with only a licence to sell beer, not spirits.

I've been lucky enough not to have had too many Brighton drinking holes go under during my own drinking career (I think it's a coincidence...) but would be very interested to hear about any Brighton old boozers from any old Brighton boozers who remember them. Piccies would be even better.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Loads of pubs have lost their identities and been renamed etc but ones that I can recall that have been bulldozed or converted to housing:

Dog Tray Edward Street (Near to where Amex is now)
The Clarence (North Street Portslade Biker's Pub Great for Strippers private stags etc)
Where Churchill Square is now was terraced housing with loads of pubs. (Check history of Brighton).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was a whole load of music pubs around in the punk era that are no longer there; The Alhambra, The Buccaneer, The New Regent and the Art College Basement (well that one was a sort of pub).

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Not that old but , 'The Quadrant'.

RIP
:drink:

True, that's a very nice old boozer that has sadly gone. Although I don't think they've knocked it down yet. Maybe they're not going to after all?

D

Deleted User X18H

The Sea horse south street I think (off west street)

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
hove born&bred said:
The Sea horse south street I think (off west street)

Great old pub. Corner of Middle Street and South Street. About to be turned into flats. It was called the Sea House.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
whitelion said:
Great old pub. Corner of Middle Street and South Street. About to be turned into flats. It was called the Sea House.

I thought it was going to be rebuilt as a new pub by Wetherspoons and they were going to keep the name? Not a perfect solution but that building looks knacked beyond repair.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Man of Harveys said:
I thought it was going to be rebuilt as a new pub by Wetherspoons and they were going to keep the name? Not a perfect solution but that building looks knacked beyond repair.

No the latest plans are to remove the current buildings from the site and replace it with PB flats.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lammy said:
The Quadrant has gone :eek:

Nope, it's still there. Well the building is. The developers of the flagship new Safeways :rolleyes: were MADE to keep the listed building that housed The Quadrant. They appear to have been noble enough not to start a mystery fire.

Last edited:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
the maytree my local, along old shoreham rd,miss the place like mad,knew everyone that went in their for years.!!!

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The volunteer. The first pub in Brighton to be 'Zel'ed :(

Turned from a decent boozer into a shithole staffed by wankers who act as if they're doing you a favour by selling you a pint of piss poor lager for £3-odd.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
THere used to be 365 pubs in Brighton. Anyone know how many there are now?

There used to be a cider house in Edward Street called the Alliance. Scrumpy was 1s 4d a pint when I last went there (less than 7p, since you ask).

And, talking of Shoreham, much missed is the King's Head - the last place to serve Watney's Special from a tapped barrel sitting on a shelf behind the bar.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
The Boulevard used to be a favourite hang out of Chez and my good self. It was where the West street enterance of the Odeon is and was quality until they decided to enlarge the entrance to the Event and swallow up the wonderful watering hole. The 2 Sharon's, Fast Freddy and Luigi were tops :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Nearly forgot about the stunning Harley :drool:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
bha.fatboy said:
The Boulevard used to be a favourite hang out of Chez and my good self. It was where the West street enterance of the Odeon is and was quality until they decided to enlarge the entrance to the Event and swallow up the wonderful watering hole. The 2 Sharon's, Fast Freddy and Luigi were tops :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Nearly forgot about the stunning Harley :drool:

Coor, she was something else that bird! Quality eye candy b4 going in the event and shagging anything on offer!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here