• The Battle of Trafalgar

Votes: 104 51.0%
  • The Basketmakers Arms

Votes: 100 49.0%

• Total voters

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Basketmakers for me, The Battle has done well to get as far as it has as I could probably name five superior pubs to this in my opinion.

This is just like the FA Cup. 737 teams enter. 736 of them eventually end up as losers. Disappointment outweighs elation. Coming to terms with defeat is what the competition is all about.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
So many decent pubs in Brighton not just in the centre of town either.Spoke to two of the builders when the Amex was being built who said it was the best place they had ever been to for pubs. Difficult decision.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
This is just like the FA Cup. 737 teams enter. 736 of them eventually end up as losers. Disappointment outweighs elation. Coming to terms with defeat is what the competition is all about.

if brighton pubs were indeed english football teams the basketmakers and the lion and lobster would be the ones that are massively popular in asia, and end up getting bought by emirati sheiks.

i wouldnt concur about it being like the fa cup lb. still enjoyed it though. but a brighton/sussex pub fa cup would be great. that could throw up a few shocks.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Basketmakers.

Any pub that has a coat of arms reading amicus humani generis wins for me.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
After a strong start the Battle is now ten votes behind the Basketmakers.

Still everything to play for though

Tis a great idea, and perhaps you might wish to start one after taking nominations for Sussex pubs.

(P.S I still see Brighton as a town, but maybe that should be another poll)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

And, in the process getting a plum tie in order to balance the books.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
There are few pleasures finer than a relaxing and perfectly kept pint or four of Harveys in the Trafalgar, or on a sunny day in its beer garden. I think it may be something about all the wood in the place, seems to halve the pace of the day as soon as you step in through the door.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
What a pub the Basketmakers would be if it was a free house or even if it had a couple of pumps for guests.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A fitting finale for a tremendous competition, very surprised by the BOT's popularity always felt it was a very good pub rather than a superb one.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Could not be tighter

Screenshot 2013-11-10 20.42.19.png

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Battle Of Trafalgar. It does the simple things extremely well. Great place to idle the time away on a summer's afternoon with friends in their beer garden. Good place to go on a cold winter's day to warm up by the fire. Do good pub grub and especially good Sunday roasts. It's also one of those pubs you can go in on your own and feel quite relaxed, whereas there are other pubs in Brighton where that can be more intimidating. It doesn't look particularly spectacular, but it exceeds the sum of its parts and then some.

The Basketmakers is good at what it does and it is always going to score highly in the pub guides because it caters to the real ale drinkers market. But I'm not that big into ales and if I was choosing my own top 10 favourite pubs in Brighton and Hove, the Battle would definitely be in it whereas I don't think the Basketmakers would be. On that basis, I have to go for the Battle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here