[Albion] Brighton NSC fanbase - where are you from?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Where are you FROM?

• Brighton

Votes: 176 32.4%
  • Somewhere else in Sussex

Votes: 243 44.8%
  • Somewhere outside Sussex

Votes: 118 21.7%
  • Lund, Sweden

Votes: 6 1.1%

• Total voters

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
Well well - I was going to ask whether you drank in the Royal George because I did with a guy called Rusty or Paul and several others. It was the 1975-80 era mainly I’d say. We’d be in the North Stand for home games and Peter Ward was king. Rusty was one of the few who had a car so he often copped for driving to parties/pubs or wherever. I recall he definitely sang the ‘Ooh it’s a corner’ chant at the Goldstone. We also often went to a pub in Ditchling whose name I can’t recall. Let me know if any of this sounds vaguely familiar.

Very familiar and I believe the pub in Ditchling was the North Star (Now closed). Any clues as to who you might be?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Born in Chichester, grew up all over the place as Dad was in the RAF, moved to Newhaven when I was 16 and he finished in the RAF, then moved up North nearly 4 years ago.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Born and bred Brightonian. Can trace my Brighton roots back at least four generations, my paternal grandma's family were fishermen and lived inland from Brighton College, near what is now the Round George pub.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Brighton, naturally.

But for a club called Brighton and Hove Albion, it's a bit disappointing not to have 'And Hove' as an option :bounce:

Anyway, if we're doing the thing,

Brighton
Hove
Nottingham
Manchester
Cambridge
Palangkaraya
Harston
Dawlish
Ubud
Cornwall

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Very familiar and I believe the pub in Ditchling was the North Star (Now closed). Any clues as to who you might be?

Tony Greig(or someone sounding like him) was in your car on some of the trips - also Robin who lived opposite me, maybe Steve(pub more than football). On Saturday games I’m sure some of us went bowling at KA and/or to a pub nearby before the match and then out somewhere in the evening. Simon might have been another driver - Jerzy(spelling could be wrong)/Carole....

Your challenging my memory now but you’re potentially the first NSC poster I might actually know - having not lived in Sussex for over 40 years!!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Southern Outer Mongolia (near the Gobi Desert)

Was a good mate of Genghis Khan. :ohmy: :wave:

rudolf hucker

Jul 26, 2009
Hove
Born outside of Brighton as it was then. But would be "in" now. Living in Hove now so that's in Brighton and Hove.

Why is live so confusing?

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay
Tony Greig(or someone sounding like him) was in your car on some of the trips - also Robin who lived opposite me, maybe Steve(pub more than football). On Saturday games I’m sure some of us went bowling at KA and/or to a pub nearby before the match and then out somewhere in the evening. Simon might have been another driver - Jerzy(spelling could be wrong)/Carole....

Your challenging my memory now but you’re potentially the first NSC poster I might actually know - having not lived in Sussex for over 40 years!!

Hi, Have sent DM

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Born in Brighton (in the workhouse, re-opened in emergency following a deadly diphtheria (or possibly smallpox - something pretty nasty anyway) outbreak in the maternity ward). Growing up years split between Polegate and North Hampshire.

Edit: after doing a bit of googling it looks like it was probably an outbreak of smallpox.

Last edited:

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
RSCH
Mile Oak
Woodingdean
Hangleton
Rottingdean
Ovingdean
Woodingdean
Shoreham
Portslade
Crawley
Hove
Haywards Heath
Worthing

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
Born and raised on Atlanta, GA.
Then Athens, GA (best college town in America)
Moscow, Idaho
Knoxville, Tennessee
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
Nashville, Tennessee

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If we're doing "the thing" then I've actually done:

Brighton
Hove
Brighton again
Chennai
Sydney
Tokyo
Taipei
Hove
Portslade

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seeing some of the exotic locations and some not so exotic where our fans were born or live, it does fascinate me how some became Albion fans. Why do you pick the Albion when you have no affiliation to the area especially as until fairly recently we haven’t been a club that has been inundated with success.I imagine some must be family members influence , but some must’ve just randomly picking out a team and following them.

As I'm not from the area and have no connections I'll explain how I came to be an Albion fan. When I moved down here last century I wasn't that keen on football and would maybe watch an England match but had no team affiliation. My dad was a cricket and athletics fan and had no team to pass to me and I didn't really have any roots or ties to any particular part of the UK. Anyhow my son started school locally and one day when he was in reception class still he came home and said "dad, I'm going to be a Chelsea fan". Turns out the popular boy in class was a Chelsea fan and he wanted to be the same. Even with my limited knowledge of football I knew that being a plastic is wrong. So in order to put him on the right path I started taking him to the Amex. He was soon converted and is a passionate Albion fan these days and it turns out so am I. Years of being a season ticket holder now and can't imagine not being an Albion fan.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
As I'm not from the area and have no connections I'll explain how I came to be an Albion fan. When I moved down here last century I wasn't that keen on football and would maybe watch an England match but had no team affiliation. My dad was a cricket and athletics fan and had no team to pass to me and I didn't really have any roots or ties to any particular part of the UK. Anyhow my son started school locally and one day when he was in reception class still he came home and said "dad, I'm going to be a Chelsea fan". Turns out the popular boy in class was a Chelsea fan and he wanted to be the same. Even with my limited knowledge of football I knew that being a plastic is wrong. So in order to put him on the right path I started taking him to the Amex. He was soon converted and is a passionate Albion fan these days and it turns out so am I. Years of being a season ticket holder now and can't imagine not being an Albion fan.

I would think that this is one of the more usual ways of becoming involved with the Albion. Kids dragging parents along to games and the parents getting the bug. When I first started going, it was probably the other way round, mainly Dads dragging sons along, although my Dad had no interest in football, I went with a friends Dad. The only game my Dad took me to was Southampton v Manchester United, 1968ish, and only cos he’d heard of Manchester United. I did get to see Best , Charlton , and Law tho.
Southampton 1-0 Jimmy Gabriel goal, for those interested.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I love stories like this.

The guy I travel to games with and who sits in our big group with his son is a Torquay fan originally (from there) but moved here in the 90s. Same thing - he started to take his son so that he didn't become a plastic. He's now every bit as blue and white blooded as me.

I'm firmly of the belief that you don't have to have been through the gory years but you do have to know and understand our history. Also, perhaps leave it a few decades before you write to our CEO with atmosphere improvement tips or suggest a sex dungeon as an "additional feature".

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
The Brighton area has had a huge inward migration of people over the last 25 years from all points of the compass and many of these have re-discovered their love of live football at the Amex. Like me, a lot of young men lose the match habit in their 20s to other distractions, and often don't rediscover it until in their 30s and 40s.

I would think that this is one of the more usual ways of becoming involved with the Albion. Kids dragging parents along to games and the parents getting the bug. When I first started going, it was probably the other way round, mainly Dads dragging sons along, although my Dad had no interest in football, I went with a friends Dad. The only game my Dad took me to was Southampton v Manchester United, 1968ish, and only cos he’d heard of Manchester United. I did get to see Best , Charlton , and Law tho.
Southampton 1-0 Jimmy Gabriel goal, for those interested.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Born and raised on Atlanta, GA.
Then Athens, GA (best college town in America)
Moscow, Idaho
Knoxville, Tennessee
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
Nashville, Tennessee

Ooh, hello fellow Albion fan from across the pond :bigwave:
How long have you followed the Albion?
What was it that made you choose the Albion as a team to support?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The Brighton area has had a huge inward migration of people over the last 25 years from all points of the compass and many of these have re-discovered their love of live football at the Amex. Like me, a lot of young men lose the match habit in their 20s to other distractions, and often don't rediscover it until in their 30s and 40s.

And lots of those incomers have kids that are local, in that they are born here, and want to go to football. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports