Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Brighton Marathon 2021

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Running has had a massive rise in popularity during this pandemic. Now of course the event organisers are frankly starting to take the piss. As an example the organisers of ‘The Great South Run’ want £46 for a 10 mile fun run around Portsmouth, who the **** would pay that?

oldham gull

Jul 24, 2003
Oldham
Did Brighton for the first time yesterday,my 5th marathon and on my 50th birthday. A one minute PB of 3:56 but hard work in the heat,and the niggle in the mind after mile 10. Aside from the slog to the power station, an amazing experience and fantastic support and encouragement throughout

Did Brighton for the first time yesterday,my 5th marathon and on my 50th birthday. A one minute PB of 3:56 but hard work in the heat,and the niggle in the mind after mile 10. Aside from the slog to the power station, an amazing experience and fantastic support and encouragement throughout

Fantastic job! What was your halfway time may I ask?

Really delighted for everyone who got under 4 hours, and heart goes out to the 4:01s and 4:02s given the news

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Always seems to me a cruel and unusual punishment to make the fun runners come out of the park and then immediately do a long and nasty slog up Preston Park Avenue. Quite a few of them seem thoroughly disheartened by the time they've struggled to the top. Did the 10k in 2019 and the runners came out the park and straight down London Road. The marathon course could do the same shirley? Especially if it's 568m too long in the first place

It’s over a mile round the park, though, so there would have to be some more added elsewhere.

When I used to run the marathon, I couldn’t understand the fuss about the hill at the start. Now I manage zone 1 and have to keep cycling up it, it seems much steeper! [emoji23]

Well done to everyone who took part on Sunday in both races. There was a really good atmosphere at my end of the race that sounds like it continued throughout. Whilst there’s a few negative posts in here, I’d like to think that the majority had a great day and will be back for the next one.

The organising team had quite a lot of changes from the one that ran the last live event. It’s unfortunate that a mistake was made on the route, but it will have been a tough lesson learnt and I’m sure it won’t be repeated.

I’m already looking forward to doing it all again in April, when the bike ride should return to the event, too.

Thanks, around 1:55 at halfway I think .

Great work, I was 1:57 and lost hope, which goes to show was a little silly of me.

I actually went on the Pacer Paul blog that was posted earlier in this thread and asked him what splits he did, and he replied totally even - (ie. 1:59.44 for halfway). I thought only Michael Johnson ran even! Always assumed you had to run around 1:50 at halfway to compensate for running slower in second half, clearly I've been thinking this through all wrong

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great work, I was 1:57 and lost hope, which goes to show was a little silly of me.

I actually went on the Pacer Paul blog that was posted earlier in this thread and asked him what splits he did, and he replied totally even - (ie. 1:59.44 for halfway). I thought only Michael Johnson ran even! Always assumed you had to run around 1:50 at halfway to compensate for running slower in second half, clearly I've been thinking this through all wrong

The holy grail of long distance running is the negative split…….but even running an even pace throughout is pretty difficult (haven’t read the blog but a 4 hour pacer will usually be at least a sub 3-30 runner, so running well within themselves, hence the ability to maintain an even pace).

Most of us (certainly me included many times, in fact most times) have gone off way too fast, thought we were ‘banking a bit of time’ to compensate for the slowdown later……when in reality going off too fast is basically lousing your entire race up, full stop :facepalm::facepalm:

The holy grail of long distance running is the negative split…….but even running an even pace throughout is pretty difficult (haven’t read the blog but a 4 hour pacer will usually be at least a sub 3-30 runner, so running well within themselves, hence the ability to maintain an even pace).

Most of us (certainly me included many times, in fact most times) have gone off way too fast, thought we were ‘banking a bit of time’ to compensate for the slowdown later……when in reality going off too fast is basically lousing your entire race up, full stop :facepalm::facepalm:

I guess these pacers know what they are talking about as it's their role to get people under eg. 4 hours - wish I'd paid more attention before Sunday as it might have changed my entire mental approach.

He did in his blog talk about having to speed up after halfway when he realised the course mistake, so in fact he did run the negative split and had to sacrifice a few of the people in his balloon caravan as they obviously couldn't keep up.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I guess these pacers know what they are talking about as it's their role to get people under eg. 4 hours - wish I'd paid more attention before Sunday as it might have changed my entire mental approach.

He did in his blog talk about having to speed up after halfway when he realised the course mistake, so in fact he did run the negative split and had to sacrifice a few of the people in his balloon caravan as they obviously couldn't keep up.

He’s got a pb of 3.08 and looks like a career pacer based on his stats……..fair play to him for recognising the issue and still getting the pacing bang on.

Only done 54 marathons though :shrug::lolol::lolol:

Absolutely - what a pro - wish I'd seen him at the start. Will look for his equivalent next April if I'm in any kind of shape, fingers crossed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here