Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Brighton Marathon 2021

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
My daughter did this 4hours 16 mins really proud of her , managed to see her at Arundel Terrace and the Lagoon with other friends and family popping up multiple times to cheer her on. She has been training hard for so long as she originally was going to do this in April 2020.Her motive was funding for the Royal Marsden and cancer charities. Still time to donate... https://www.justgiving.com/team/LaurenD

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
I had to drop out at 15 miles yesterday as was feeling unwell (reacted badly to the sun and heat) but not too downheartened, got a new best for half-marathon distance and the training went relatively well, lost a bit of weight and it was a good experience overall.

Be interesting to see where the "extra" bit of the run was, talk on social media was that it was out near Rottingdean, which would make sense, as when I got to halfway my time was about 7 mins slower than all the many times I'd done in training, which was very weird and pychologically disheartening at the time, now probably half of that was down to me/sun and half the course.

Bigger picture though it's such a superb event I find it hard to be particularly upset at the organisers. Two really good things this year was the big village (made a nice change from the Brighton Centre when I did it a few years ago) and the staggered start worked really well, no bunching and crowding. I signed up months ago for next April, so like a football team with a bad result, it's good to "go again soon"

I hope you're feeling ok today. I felt rough around mile 16 but just about managed to keep going run/walking.

I think the exrta distance was between miles 9 and 10. I remember saying that one of the mile markers that my watch showing an extra 4/10 mile and I think that as 10 miles.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Gutted to miss it yesterday. Had been in town for every event since 2016. Deferred my 2020 place to this year and couldn’t take up the revised date, as I was supposed to be heading to Kenya later this week for the ForRangers Ultra. Net result: both deferred until 2022 along with a spot on the Brighton Trail Marathon too. All I could do yesterday was watch on the live stream before heading to work. Can’t believe I’ll have had a three year gap between BMs when (if) it finally happens. Well done to all of you that made it yesterday. See you there in April.

I hope you're feeling ok today. I felt rough around mile 16 but just about managed to keep going run/walking.

I think the extra distance was between miles 9 and 10. I remember saying that one of the mile markers that my watch showing an extra 4/10 mile and I think that as 10 miles.

I'm good, thanks for asking - there was probably a few important pyschological pitfalls I learnt, particularly about getting through that tough detour in Hove/Portslade. As I'd run the marathon before, this time I was chasing a time (the holy grail of guys my age the 4 hours) and my world absolutely fell in at halfway when I was about 7 mins outside that (when in training in Preston Park I had been 8 mins inside at 22 miles). Next April I think I'll just have to calm down a bit and not put that kind of pressure on myself and just aim for the PB (which I was in reasonable shape for yesterday). The sun was just bad luck, even though it can be sunny in April it tends to be a little cooler and overcast. Also another really bad pyschological mistake I made was having my family at 16 miles to give me an energy drink etc. They'll be at the finish line next time! The physical conditioning side is obvs everything but you have to get the head game right as well and I fell down there yesterday - but lessons learnt

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
I had to drop out at 18 miles with a calf injury, had been on target for 3.30 but not sure if I could have hung until the end even if hadn't been injured. Where were the sports drinks? Only water in paper cups which are impossible to drink from when running.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Loved the New Church Rd out and back yesterday, especially the houses with loud sound systems.

Enjoyed the Portslade end playing Groove Armada stuff.

Was tough going yesterday, especially when it got hot in the afternoon.

Was pleased with 5:21 , a few minutes faster than my last marathon.

Nobby Nomates

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Ran my first marathon yesterday at the age of 54 and finished in just over 4 hours. Typical newbie mistake of going out too quick, then paid for it with a really painful last 3/4 miles. I'm also already entered for April, so planning to build more stamina and try to break the 4 hour barrier. Basin road in the sunshine killed me off - just had nothing left in the tank after the king Alfred. Great experience, particularly Church Road. The marathon photos are amusing - from looking happy and perky by the pavilion to dragging my sorry arse across the finish in misery was captured in awful clarity by the photographers

Ran my first marathon yesterday at the age of 54 and finished in just over 4 hours. Typical newbie mistake of going out too quick, then paid for it with a really painful last 3/4 miles. I'm also already entered for April, so planning to build more stamina and try to break the 4 hour barrier. Basin road in the sunshine killed me off - just had nothing left in the tank after the king Alfred. Great experience, particularly Church Road. The marathon photos are amusing - from looking happy and perky by the pavilion to dragging my sorry arse across the finish in misery was captured in awful clarity by the photographers

Fantastic work for first up and for gritting it til the end - what was your training schedule like in terms of how many long runs did you do? I may have been a few training miles short in mine even though I did more than for my first marathons. As a superstition I always put my number on my back, but it means I never get the embarrassing rogues gallery of pics sent afterwards as officially I don't exist for the photographers. Will have to change that for April as it's part of the fun.

Honestly it would be my dream to only have the tough bit in the last 3 miles :)

Last edited:

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Really thinking of giving a marathon a go now, my work place usually offer places for Brighton so will inquire. I've only been running since lockdown 1, nothing crazy I'm doing between 7-10kms twice a week. Anyone have any tips for transitioning to longer runs, other than going further each time I'm not sure whats the best way to go about it.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Really thinking of giving a marathon a go now, my work place usually offer places for Brighton so will inquire. I've only been running since lockdown 1, nothing crazy I'm doing between 7-10kms twice a week. Anyone have any tips for transitioning to longer runs, other than going further each time I'm not sure whats the best way to go about it.

Get yourself a training schedule (there are plenty online) and try to keep to it. Don't be overly ambitious and don't set yourself unrealistic goals. The fact that you can run 10k is a great starting point. Maybe try for a half marathon in the autumn and see how you get on.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I had to drop out at 15 miles yesterday as was feeling unwell (reacted badly to the sun and heat) but not too downheartened, got a new best for half-marathon distance and the training went relatively well, lost a bit of weight and it was a good experience overall.

Be interesting to see where the "extra" bit of the run was, talk on social media was that it was out near Rottingdean, which would make sense, as when I got to halfway my time was about 7 mins slower than all the many times I'd done in training, which was very weird and pychologically disheartening at the time, now probably half of that was down to me/sun and half the course.

Bigger picture though it's such a superb event I find it hard to be particularly upset at the organisers. Two really good things this year was the big village (made a nice change from the Brighton Centre when I did it a few years ago) and the staggered start worked really well, no bunching and crowding. I signed up months ago for next April, so like a football team with a bad result, it's good to "go again soon"

Fantastic effort to not only commit to the preparation but get as far as you did, your part of an elite club and good luck for April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gibby Haynes

Sep 11, 2017
Portslade
Managed 3hr 50 this year, very happy considering the heat.
I'm sure the extra distance was at Ovingdean as I dont remember running as far up the hill towards Rottingdean as previous years
Probably wont do Brighton again as its getting far too expensive for the 'experience'. Am now looking forward to the Virtual London and Beachy Head next month with a cheeky Brighton Half squeezed inbetween

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

from what my daughter said it was an extra bit of uphill running at Ovingdean/Rottingdean . Probably did more damage to runners than just teh extra bit because half of it was up hill.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
from what my daughter said it was an extra bit of uphill running at Ovingdean/Rottingdean . Probably did more damage to runners than just teh extra bit because half of it was up hill.

Having done it before, I don't think the extra bit was uphill. The previous course already had the uphill bit going East from the St Dunstan's roundabout towards Rottingdean. The difference this year was that rather than turning at the top of the hill as previously, someone had mistakenly placed the turn markers/bollards a few hundred metres further on nearer Rottingdean. I'm pretty certain that that was where the problem was, as it was after that point that my Garmin watch started being out of kilter with the mile markers on the course, and other runners were all commenting on that as well. This blog from one of the pacers, pretty much confirms it

https://pickupthepacepaul.com/2021/09/12/brighton-marathon-2021/

Having done it before, I don't think the extra bit was uphill. The previous course already had the uphill bit going East from the St Dunstan's roundabout towards Rottingdean. The difference this year was that rather than turning at the top of the hill as previously, someone had mistakenly placed the turn markers/bollards a few hundred metres further on nearer Rottingdean. I'm pretty certain that that was where the problem was, as it was after that point that my Garmin watch started being out of kilter with the mile markers on the course, and other runners were all commenting on that as well. This blog from one of the pacers, pretty much confirms it

https://pickupthepacepaul.com/2021/09/12/brighton-marathon-2021/

Fascinating stuff, was looking for that fella for most of my doomed 15 miles. One group I was running near reckoned they were in front of the 3:45 balloon :lolol: I guess whatever keeps your spirits up

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham

That's a fantastic time, especially for a first marathon. Well done :clap:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Well done!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Managed 3hr 50 this year, very happy considering the heat.
I'm sure the extra distance was at Ovingdean as I dont remember running as far up the hill towards Rottingdean as previous years
Probably wont do Brighton again as its getting far too expensive for the 'experience'. Am now looking forward to the Virtual London and Beachy Head next month with a cheeky Brighton Half squeezed inbetween

This, from what I’ve heard from pals……too far out towards Rottingdean……****ing shambolic for ‘Britain’s second biggest marathon’

STE usually charge about £30 for their events. Exceptionally friendly, great company, usually great scenery (or quirky, depends on the event), loads of food en route and/or at the end and an all-round infinitely better experience than pounding the road for a few hours

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here