Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Brighton Main Line 2 to be built?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Yes I read that and thought about time too! I was thinking my next investment might be in Uckfield as property will definitely increase in value there as the train line expands, trouble is its a bit of a dump so will keep an eye on things but might be worth a punt.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Would this allow for a better Brighton to Lewes service on Match Days?

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Depends where the trains end up but hopefully most go to Brighton but flipside is can only run so many trains in a space of time and takes quite a while getting fans on/off so maybe an extra train but doubt make significant improvement - rather see longer trains more carriages and the Falmer to Lewes train pull in on a platform that doesn't restrict to the first 5 carriages!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes I read that and thought about time too! I was thinking my next investment might be in Uckfield as property will definitely increase in value there as the train line expands, trouble is its a bit of a dump so will keep an eye on things but might be worth a punt.
dump? Well this pad doesn’t help the scenery.

Attachments

• 34C474AA-7910-4739-AAEB-C5C395747B62.jpeg
    34C474AA-7910-4739-AAEB-C5C395747B62.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 99

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cool. More trains to cancel due to staff shortages/strike action ???
:lolol: thats a glass smashed view.

tricky to see how they'll ever do the link from Brighton to Lewes, without that justification is difficult. iirc the BML2 plan is to bypass Lewes altogether, run up the old trackbed to E.Grinstead then Croydon. this would go Lewes to Tunbrige Wells then London Bridge, at least a complete alternative route.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ah the line which doesn’t fix any of the problems of the Brighton line.

Save a few billion and just quadruple it from Three Bridges south.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To be honest it probably makes it worse as they wouldn’t be able to squeeze in the Lewes shuttles and there’d be knock on delays from London.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last edited:

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Ah the line which doesn’t fix any of the problems of the Brighton line.

Save a few billion and just quadruple it from Three Bridges south.
The last time this was looked at, the conclusion was not to start driving new railway lines through East Sussex but to get the current line’s capacity improved (as you highlight). The problem with the Uckfield route is that you either drive an expensive tunnel through the downs after Falmer to bypass Lewes (which will do nothing to help Lewes, Eastbourne or Seaford), or come into Lewes from the east on the existing line and then branch off to Uckfield (which will do nothing to help Brighton). Geography and housing stops you coming into Lewes from Brighton and then heading north, without going out of Lewes eastwards and then reversing back into the station

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
dump? Well this pad doesn’t help the scenery.
Ah, Adolph (Nick) Van H's pad?

It would be lovely to see it compulsory purchased for 1£ so that the train line can run right through it. There may be grounds, given that it has never been properly occupied, and it is (literally) a shit mausoleum.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The last time this was looked at, the conclusion was not to start driving new railway lines through East Sussex but to get the current line’s capacity improved (as you highlight). The problem with the Uckfield route is that you either drive an expensive tunnel through the downs after Falmer to bypass Lewes (which will do nothing to help Lewes, Eastbourne or Seaford), or come into Lewes from the east on the existing line and then branch off to Uckfield (which will do nothing to help Brighton). Geography and housing stops you coming into Lewes from Brighton and then heading north, without going out of Lewes eastwards and then reversing back into the station
And this is before we even get to the platform capacity at Brighton meaning fewer trains to the likes of Gatwick and Croydon from there, with knock on impacts on overcrowding on services from Horsham / Worthing.

It’s essentially entirely the wrong answer to a decent question.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
The proposal creates another route from London to Lewes and Eastbourne. No new line to Brighton. I am well into my 80’s so not in my lifetime methinks. Would have thought that any rail investment would be prioritised for the north not the southeast.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
:lolol: thats a glass smashed view.

tricky to see how they'll ever do the link from Brighton to Lewes, without that justification is difficult. iirc the BML2 plan is to bypass Lewes altogether, run up the old trackbed to E.Grinstead then Croydon. this would go Lewes to Tunbrige Wells then London Bridge, at least a complete alternative route.
Nope Your memory fails you 😀

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here