Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion WONDER Goals

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Runner up and it was a cross anyway.

My favourite was when Peter Sayer took a knock down from Teddy Maybank and volleyed the ball from about 25 yards. However, for shere excitment I would say the tap in well into ijury time by Eric Potts against Sunderland was my best moment. Sunderland had scored early on, run the match and should have had a couple more. Potts came on in the 90th minute and yet managed to not only score an equaliser but then he scored the winner. Neither were classics but for shere pandamonium I can rarely remember better.

I remember dashing on the final whistle to Hove station and telling a couple of Sunderland fans on the train what happened. They'd left when it was 1-0 and didn't really believe me. I didn't laugh until they left me at Brighton, wouldve been rubbing salt in their wounds.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm sure the historians will shoot me down in flames but like the bloke in Channel 5's twisty-turny thriller, 'Flash Forward' I've got a recurring series of short, sharp memories which includes:

a] Mark Lawrenson
b] A blasted free kick from about thirty yards
c] Boxing Day and
d] Cardiff City.

Or was it all . . . . just a dream? (Fades to swirling harp music . . . .)

Last edited:

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Mark (I'm sure I never played for Brighton) Lawrenson against Wolves at The Goldstone. Picked the ball up in our own penalty area, beat the entire Wolves team on his own taking the ball up the other end and scored.

spot on ! it was a league cup game if my memory serves me right

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
One for the oldies!

Bob McNichol -F.A. Cup 1961 v. Burnley. Must have been at least 45 yards out on the right. 3-3 draw.

Alan Duffy's goal in his first game.
Kit Napier against Bournemouth.
Mark Lawrenson.
etc etc - there's been so many.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Nelson - Brentford - Fa cup 1987.
It was great because we were down the side terrace under cover and behind the goal he scored in as well so it was a double eruption!

J-Scott

Mar 9, 2009

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Whenever this comes up (2 or 3 times per season),the answer is always Willie Irvine against Aston Villa 25/3/72.

Sorry youngsters,it just IS.

Funny thing is,it's its birthday today.Happy Birthday Willie Irvine's wondergoal !!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Peter Ward against the whole Mansfield defence in a promotion match (Mansfield were Champions) in the Division 3 promotion season. The special thing about Wardy was the speed and deception *(worked better at the lower levels) a style only ever shared by Greavsie and perhaps Rodney Marsh, Maradona and Georgie Best. Bobby Z comes close and has other skills as well. That did not make Wardy the best player, but made him the most exciting to watch. Kit Napier and Gary Nelson had the style but without the speed of thought.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not all of us. It was a cup game so some of our alloctaion (including me) were in the stand to the right of the goal.

Oh, and Nelson for me too.
Wasn't that for the 1-1 league game in the same season?

Definitely remember being behind the goal for the cup game but along the side for the league game...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here