Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Wolverhampton Wanderers *** Official Match Thread ***

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It was our biggest-ever victory in the top division, I think they said. Which is true. Our biggest win in the old first division was 4-1 v Man City, which we've bettered with 4-0s v Manchester United and West Ham. I suppose the 5-2 v Leicester was also better, as we scored more although the margin of victory is the same.

York was 7-2, by the way, not 9-2. We also beat Charlton 7-0 in the second tier in 1983.
We did Chester and Colchester both 6-0 very close together in about 73/74

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
An interesting stat in The Times today...

"Gross, wearing No 13, scored in the 13th minute and added another 13 minutes later; and then Brighton scored again 13 minutes after that..."

And people call #13 unlucky! :lolol:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I am working this week in a tiny village called Capel, 300km south of where I live.
I listen to radio local yokel all day, and was surprised when our result against Wolves was quite a talking point on the sports news, after the farming and prize pumpkin stories.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is handball below the sleeve (std size shirt), as was suggested in the media a while back, or under the armpit, as was suggested to explain Mitoma's disallowed goal at Spurs?

The VAR footage of Undav's first goal shows that VAR drew the offside line from the end of his sleeve, with a clear gap until his armpit. If the rule is supposed to be armpit, it seems the guy on VAR doesn't know.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Is handball below the sleeve (std size shirt), as was suggested in the media a while back, or under the armpit, as was suggested to explain Mitoma's disallowed goal at Spurs?

The VAR footage of Undav's first goal shows that VAR drew the offside line from the end of his sleeve, with a clear gap until his armpit. If the rule is supposed to be armpit, it seems the guy on VAR doesn't know.

download.png

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A bit belated, but I just dropped a note to my Wolves-supporting/suffering mate and got the following back in reply:

'You know I’m a pessimist by nature and essentially very miserable, but this group of Wolves players…They are an absolute disgrace. We’ve shuffled under the radar all season as we’ve always conjured up a win from somewhere to keep our heads above water, but if you had to watch this lot every season, you’d have to see a counsellor. They’re a vile group of heartless, spineless b***ards and the embodiment of the modern day professional footballer who everyone loves to hate. I could write a book on the reasons why, but I’ll spare you!
I am not exaggerating to say that I’d get rid of 15 in the summer. They’re all Jorge Mendes Amigos with no heart or pride to even do the basics, like get back in behind the ball when they lose it. Just look at Nelson Semedo for some of those goals. Actually shameful.'

Not happy is a bit of an understatement!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
A bit belated, but I just dropped a note to my Wolves-supporting/suffering mate and got the following back in reply:

'You know I’m a pessimist by nature and essentially very miserable, but this group of Wolves players…They are an absolute disgrace. We’ve shuffled under the radar all season as we’ve always conjured up a win from somewhere to keep our heads above water, but if you had to watch this lot every season, you’d have to see a counsellor. They’re a vile group of heartless, spineless b***ards and the embodiment of the modern day professional footballer who everyone loves to hate. I could write a book on the reasons why, but I’ll spare you!
I am not exaggerating to say that I’d get rid of 15 in the summer. They’re all Jorge Mendes Amigos with no heart or pride to even do the basics, like get back in behind the ball when they lose it. Just look at Nelson Semedo for some of those goals. Actually shameful.'

Are you sure he's not a Chelsea fan?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I've said previously on Potter / underachieving threads that our benchmark in this division is really Wolves, Saints and Leicester. Forget budget for a second, all three are provincial sides with a 31,000 ish capacity ground and a definite but limited overseas appeal. Back in those days we were below all three which just shows the incredible progress we've made in the last two seasons (yes, I will give Potter kudos for finishing 9th).

Each club has to have a niche way to overachieve. In Leicester's case it was great recruitment (Vardy, Mahrez et al) with a very good Chairman and a season when all the top teams were in transition. Since the unfortunate helicopter crash and the loss of revenue due to Covid of King Power Leicester have been free falling. Saints obviously had their academy. Again change of ownership, a couple of poor coaches and the end of a recruitment cycle have done for them. And then there's Wolves. Initially the Mendez thing was great. They got in players who were too good for the Championship, went up and overachieved in their first EPL season. But once again it has a limited shelf life and they need new ideas pronto.

Luckily, there's only one Tony Bloom :)

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
I will give Potter kudos for finishing 9th
I was watching a re-run of our 4-0 thrashing of Man U the other day when Potter was in charge. It reminded me of how good we were under Potter, even though we have gone up a level under De Zerbi. Much as I begrudge the way he left us, I have to acknowledge that he did well for us overall up until that point.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
An interesting stat in The Times today...

"Gross, wearing No 13, scored in the 13th minute and added another 13 minutes later; and then Brighton scored again 13 minutes after that..."

And people call #13 unlucky! :lolol:
It was bloody unlucky for Solly and us at Wembley :down:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was watching a re-run of our 4-0 thrashing of Man U the other day when Potter was in charge. It reminded me of how good we were under Potter, even though we have gone up a level under De Zerbi. Much as I begrudge the way he left us, I have to acknowledge that he did well for us overall up until that point.
Here, incidentally;

I couldn’t see Paul Barber forgetting to send off our exemption for the preliminaries of the FA cup.
That error was made in 1932/33 - Wisbech was in the 60s. Our joint record win in a national* competition was actually 12-0 v Shoreham in a qualifying round that season. We also won 0-12 at Shoreham in 1902-3 after thrashing Brighton Amateurs 14-2 at home in the previous round!
* Not sure about Sussex Senior Cup or Southern League competitions.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here