Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Watford *** Official Match Thread ***

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Crowd need to get behind the team. I know the team isn't giving much to cheer about but our home crown is so bloody meek and passive.

Just back from the game. Thought I would have a quick read of the official match thread.

Quick question. Am I right in thinking that those that post during the match aren't at the game or do some of you post on here whilst watching the game at the amex (I seriously don't know).

SJames are you criticising Brighton fans for a poor atmosphere even though you can't be arsed to be there?. I only ask because I called out Spence last year when he said exactly the same thing when he wasn't at the game. This was pre-potter. We all know who he doesn't support.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Just back from the game. Thought I would have a quick read of the official match thread.

Quick question. Am I right in thinking that those that post during the match aren't at the game or do some of you post on here whilst watching the game at the amex (I seriously don't know).

SJames are you criticising Brighton fans for a poor atmosphere even though you can't be arsed to be there?. I only ask because I called out Spence last year when he said exactly the same thing when he wasn't at the game. This was pre-potter. We all know who he doesn't support.

Exactly this. The crowd today was anything but meek and passive. Vast majority of people were just royally pissed off after being so up for the game beforehand and the beginning of the game. And understandably so. Obviously that doesn't come across on t.v. though. Meek and passive the crowd definitely was not tonight. Just desperate for us to actually turn up for once in these kind of games.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The fella who shouted 'get on with it you knob' for a Watford throw very near the end came across loud and clear in Australia.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Any team that starts with Mooy, Duffy, Propper and Gross (ie.the 4 of slowest and most lightweight players in the Premier League) is going to struggle. And we did.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Any team that starts with Mooy, Duffy, Propper and Gross (ie.the 4 of slowest and most lightweight players in the Premier League) is going to struggle. And we did.

That should read Proper, Mooy, Gross and Murray....I do recognise that Duffy is not lightweight. Today he was however complete pants.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The match sponsors named Solly their man of the match. When it was announced in the stadium in the area I was sitting there was general bemusement and even some laughter at the choice. He wasn't terrible but a long way from a MOTM performance.
Funny again. The radio effects microphones picked up applause.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And no goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out biggest goal threat at present appears to be Ali J, although not much of a threat on the bench.

He also proved today that in amongst all the fancy patient build up play it is occasionally an idea to stick the ball into a dangerous position and hope someone gets on the end of it (sorry GP, I know this is blasphemy :whistle:). There were times we looked so narrow on the attack while we waited for the overlapping full backs, trouble is it also gave Watford plenty of time to get their banks of four in position.

I fond myself wondering not only how our style of play would go in the Championship but also the possible need of some real pace and quality to start to unlock these stubborn defences. Often when we see teams playing this patient style of football the difference is one magical moment of skill, power or pace that unlocks defences and leads to a goal. I am thinking of Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez, Salah, Kane, Eriksen, Son etc etc. Doucoure and Delefeou can do this for Watford (without the patient passing at the moment obviously. Mooy does it occasionally for us but I am unconvinced, Trossard, Solly similar, Gross not so much in this system. I guess the arrival of Macallister may shine some light on this or should we start whacking in a few crosses from out wide. Ali J can certainly do this, Solly seems to want to **** about with it before crossing (is this an instruction?).

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
A point ain't good enough, I'm struggling to find 3 teams worse than us

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
We can only afford to have one of gross, murray and mooy. All too slow: one of them is fine. Perhaps we could do something crazy and stick with the same team to get some consistency.

Ryan

Lamptey
Dunk
Webster
Burn
Bernardo

Stephens
Propper
Mac/mooy
Trossard/mooy
Maupay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
A point ain't good enough, I'm struggling to find 3 teams worse than us

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Well considering how shit Watford were too yesterday, how incredibly shit villa are bar one superstar, how easily west ham fell apart last week, how turgid palace have become to watch, how bloody lucky Newcastle have been to squeeze points in games they've been bloody awful in (see us first half of last season), how bournemouth are also below us and generally looked very poor in their slide down the league, plus obviously the fact norwich only have 18 points, I'd say there are plenty of teams as bad as us. It's whether we can do just enough to stay above three of them! We'll see, although playing 4 teams below us on the bounce and winning none definitely hasn't helped our cause

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When Jahanbaksh came on there was a Watford player down injured (on the East side near the halfway line). Murray had the ball for a throw in and Jahanbaksh came over to have a word with Murray and I could see Murray telling him to curl the ball into the box for him. Which Alireza then proceeded to do several times. One of those times was what got us the own goal and our point. Not sure the point of this story other than mentioning Murray asking for a particular type of service and Jahanbaksh doing exactly what Murray had asked.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
When Jahanbaksh came on there was a Watford player down injured (on the East side near the halfway line). Murray had the ball for a throw in and Jahanbaksh came over to have a word with Murray and I could see Murray telling him to curl the ball into the box for him. Which Alireza then proceeded to do several times. One of those times was what got us the own goal and our point. Not sure the point of this story other than mentioning Murray asking for a particular type of service and Jahanbaksh doing exactly what Murray had asked.

Quite ironic that the goal came from something similar - yet Murray was nowhere near it!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester

I live in Leicester and have a young family so no I wasn't at the game. I get to the Amex 3-4 times a year costing me around £100 and 12 hours away from the family per match, something I can barely afford as my wife is a student nurse and therefore we are pretty much dependent on my salary, not that any of this is actually any of your business.

I went to the Goldstone from 7 years old until the ******** sold it from under us when I was 10. I remember sitting on the barrier at the front of the West stand terrace humming 'Build a Bonfire' and 'Bellotti is a wanker'. I went to a few games at Gillingham and then on our return to the city I held a season ticket at the Withdean until I moved away to go to University. I know many many thousands of our fans do much more to support our team than I do but please don't patronise me by questioning whether I could be arsed to support the team I have followed through thick and thin. Our home atmosphere is regularly shit. We are too nice, too passive and don't make the Amex a hard enough place to come to. Lots of people are so passionate about the club and support them vociferously and I do not mean to criticise them but as a collective we are a bang average home crowd bar the odd exception and it would be good to see the club do something to try to give us that 12th man that we desperately need at times to changes games like this from draws to wins.

That's enough ranting from me. Genuine apologies if I have been offensive in my reply but it does upset me when people use the fact that they attend to reject any form of criticism from those that don't, especially when you have no idea about the reason why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here