Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Sheffield United *** Official Match Thread ***

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
We could not have chucked that away so expertly if we'd tried. Totally flat after 30 mins and probably would have gifted them a goal anyway had shit-for-brains Dahoud not been sent.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Disagree . We looked spent
This.
It certainly didn't help going down to 10 men, but it was on the cards before the sending off. We basically threw the game away in the first half by sloppy finishing, which gave Sheffield some hope to cling to.
We were pretty rubbish from the start of the second half - why? God knows, but we need to be more ruthless and clinical, when the chances (and there were many) come our way.
Two points thrown away and 3 from nine against those opponents is a very poor haul.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
Stop making so many changes. Why can't they play 2 games a week when they are Professional Athletes.

Why do people continue to make this point? Of course they are more than capable of playing two games a week. They're so fit they could play two games in one morning. But doing so will obviously have an effect on their sharpness compared to rival teams playing once a week. RDZ is therefore trying to prevent some of our players playing twice a week because even a marginal drop in performance levels will have a major impact at elite level.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I don’t have a problem with the starting line up, due to the injuries it was mostly right imo but yet again wasteful when in complete control, then start to slow down end first half, then the red from a utterly stupid challenge did us. Every team knows all they have to do is hang in and they are likely to get something out of us in the end.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Had to stop reading your comment at the first sentence.

Professional athleticism is exactly that. It is well understood that professional footballers will see their levels of performance decline if they are not allowed sufficient recovery periods, especially taking into account international travel.
This - a few absolute joke comments by posters who clearly have no idea what they're talking about re what it takes to be a professional athlete ffs. I imagine written by 20 stone lads who've barely played the game in their lives, too

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That’s all on Dahoud. They would never have scored 11v11.
Did you see Spurs at home to Chelsea who are miles better than Sheffield United.

With 10 men it was still Spurs playing better, even with 9 they held on quite well until the last 5 minutes and missed a great chance to make it 2-2 with 9 men before Chelsea scored 2 late goals.

Today with 10 players, against the bottom team without a single point, nobody or not many on here (I'd guess), believed it would be anything more than hanging on for a draw or them snatching it.

We lost our momentum before Dahoud got sent off.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think you only have to look at Newcastle’s display against Bournemouth yesterday to understand how European games take it out of players. That and injuries which we have both suffered from.
If we’d have got a second goal we would have won it easily but as per the Fulham game we didn’t.
What we do need to improve on is our ability to see out games. Be more pragmatic at times.
We need the International break as we’ll need a strong performance against Forest.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Had to stop reading your comment at the first sentence.

Professional athleticism is exactly that. It is well understood that professional footballers will see their levels of performance decline if they are not allowed sufficient recovery periods, especially taking into account international travel.
You missed the bit about Villa managing it ok then?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Like printing money when we went down to 10, it was so obvious.

6754765.png

I made my bet the moment Dunk kinda limped off in Amsterdam.

He holds everything together. No cool heads today after the red, we stopped passing, we missed him.

Even in the first half I thought Webster was poor, including a dumb free kick on the touch line that started a dangerous few minutes for a hitherto bloody awful Blades.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
There was no evidence of that until the red. We were comfortable and about to bring on Veltman and Baleba to stay solid.
There was loads of people evidence of it

We were making the changes as RDZ saw they way it was heading

Dahoud just made it impossible for those subs to see out the game

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Some of our fans are away with the fairies.

We've only just got back from an away trip in Europe. We are riddled with injuries, and some of our remaining players are playing despite needing a rest... we go a man down and only come away with a draw, and all of a sudden people are questioning RDZ 🙈

We don't have the players or squad depth of Man City (yet), so it's a little bit pointless having unrealistic expectations about what this squad can do and especially pointless blaming the manager.
But there was no need to rest 4 key players bearing mind there is now an international break....it's disruptive....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think you only have to look at Newcastle’s display against Bournemouth yesterday to understand how European games take it out of players. That and injuries which we have both suffered from.
If we’d have got a second goal we would have won it easily but as per the Fulham game we didn’t.
What we do need to improve on is our ability to see out games. Be more pragmatic at times.
We need the International break as we’ll need a strong performance against Forest.
How are Villa managing it ? 13 PL home wins in a row and doing well in Europe

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
You missed the bit about Villa managing it ok then?
Give it a break man - we've got a huge injury list and Villa are a huge club who've spent millions on their current squad

I dont know what some folk expected this season. Time and time and time again we've seen clubs of our size struggle in the league when in Europe. As it stands we're still picking up points, albeit slowly with a lot of draws. We played really well first half all things considered. Impressively well imo. Just couldn't keep it up and the red really changed everything

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here