Date: Sunday 8th October 2023
Kick-off: 14:00 BST
Referee: Anthony Taylor
Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn
Fourth Official: Craig Pawson
VAR: Chris Kavanagh
Additional VAR: Matthew Wilkes

TEAM NEWS

Brighton left-back Pervis Estupinan faces at least a month out with a muscular issue.

Adam Lallana and James Milner are likely to miss the clash with their former employers due to minor injuries.

Liverpool are without the suspended Curtis Jones and Diogo Jota after the pair were both sent off last weekend.

Forward Cody Gakpo sustained a knee injury in the defeat at Tottenham and he will join Stefan Bajcetic and Thiago on the sidelines.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Brighton have won the past two meetings in all competitions, with both victories coming at the Amex Stadium in January.
  • Liverpool have registered just one win from their previous six Premier League clashes with Brighton, drawing three and losing two.
  • However, the Seagulls have only won two of their 14 home league games against the Reds, drawing six and losing six.
  • Roberto De Zerbi's first match in charge of Brighton was a 3-3 draw at Anfield in October 2022.
Albion
  • Brighton have made their best start to a Premier League season, winning five of their opening seven games.
  • However, Albion lost 6-1 to Aston Villa in their last league outing, conceding six goals for the first time in the top flight.
  • Roberto De Zerbi's side have scored in 23 consecutive Premier League matches since a 1-0 defeat by Fulham in February.
  • Brighton's five home fixtures this season have produced an average of 4.4 goals per game.
  • Solly March has been directly involved in five of Brighton's last eight Premier League goals against Liverpool, with two goals and three assists.
Liverpool
  • Liverpool's 17-match Premier League unbeaten run was ended by a controversial 2-1 defeat at Tottenham last weekend.
  • The Reds could lose back-to-back league games for the first time since a pair of away defeats to Bournemouth and Manchester City in March and April.
  • Jurgen Klopp's side have conceded first in each of their past four away fixtures.
  • Liverpool have been shown four red cards in their past six Premier League games, as many as in their previous 178 top-flight matches.
  • Mohamed Salah has been directly involved in 12 goals in 12 top-flight appearances against Brighton, scoring six times and providing six assists.
  • Ryan Gravenberch has either scored or assisted in each of his three Liverpool starts in all competitions.

Roberto De Zerbi's Liverpool Press Conference

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I always wait up for the thread..

I've got a feeling we will do well to avoid another tonking today. Still, it's a fun journey and always full of surprises.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can only see this going badly. Last season we won both home games by having a far better midfield. Now they have one of the best in the division and ours has regressed.

I fear we will be tonked. Might get a draw if they have an off day. Certainly won’t be that first clean sheet.

A day out instead for me. Outdoor drinking with an old mate from the Goldstone in the unseasonable warmth.

(Crosses fingers and hopes to see this bounced / quoted at 4pm)

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I can only see this going badly. Last season we won both home games by having a far better midfield. Now they have one of the best in the division and ours has regressed.

I fear we will be tonked. Might get a draw if they have an off day. Certainly won’t be that first clean sheet.

A day out instead for me. Outdoor drinking with an old mate from the Goldstone in the unseasonable warmth.

(Crosses fingers and hopes to see this bounced / quoted at 4pm)
Did we not all fear the same against Newcastle? Regards our midfield being significantly inferior to theirs.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The VAR team will be determined not to upset Liverpool, any goal disallowed will be headline news. The bad thing is that we suffered just the same last season and nobody cared .....
Anyway, the game: Since we last played them they have improved, by signing our Alli Mac and lately we have not been at our best . The loss of Pervis is a blow..
That all sounds doom laden, but sometimes when you expect less, good things happen.. we are Brighton! We defy the odds and we support no matter what . No predictions here but .... :albion2:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I share the views of many, a high scoring game but with the ball ending in our net mostly I’m afraid!

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Can't see anything but a defeat today unfortunately, just need to keep the score down and regroup after the international break.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Another Mitoma masterclass with a mouth watering Trent on toast performance,no reason why we can't repeat what we did to them last season with a different midfield and the correct tactical changes. 2-1 :albion2:

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
If fergie is fit he should start with pedro behind. The welbeck and fati experiment has been useless.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Did we not all fear the same against Newcastle? Regards our midfield being significantly inferior to theirs.
Maybe but Liverpool’s midfield is better than Newcastle’s. Can honestly see us going in at HT three or four down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here