Date: Saturday 14th January 2023
Kick-off: 15:00 GMT
Referee: Darren England
Assistants: Daniel Robathan, Wade Smith
Fourth Official: Tim Robinson
VAR: Neil Swarbrick
Additional VAR: Timothy Wood

TEAM NEWS

Leandro Trossard has been dropped from Brighton's squad for Saturday's game because of his poor attitude, according to head coach Roberto De Zerbi.

De Zerbi is expected to make changes from the FA Cup win at Middlesbrough.

Liverpool forward Darwin Nunez could miss out as he has been unable to train this week due to an unspecified injury.

James Milner has returned to training and is available but Roberto Firmino remains out and Virgil van Dijk will be sidelined until at least next month.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Brighton & Hove Albion's solitary win in the past 16 meetings in all competitions was 1-0 away in the league on 3 February 2021.
  • Albion's 3-1 triumph in the second tier in 1961 is their only home league win against the Reds. It happened on 14 January - the same date as this fixture.
  • Liverpool are unbeaten in all nine top-flight visits to Brighton - a record for any team versus a single opponent without ever losing.
  • However, the Reds have won only one of their last five Premier League games against Brighton, a 2-0 victory at the Amex Stadium in March (D3, L1).
  • Roberto De Zerbi's first match as Brighton head coach was the 3-3 Premier League draw at Anfield on 1 October.
Albion
  • Brighton have earned 14 points in 11 league games under head coach Roberto De Zerbi.
  • They can win their opening two league fixtures of a calendar year for the first time since 2013 when they were in the second tier.
  • Albion's only league win in five home matches under De Zerbi was 4-1 versus Chelsea on 29 October.
  • The Seagulls have scored 32 goals in 17 league games this season - their most at this stage of a campaign since 1976-77.
  • Brighton's 11 league matches under De Zerbi have produced 41 goals (21 for, 20 against), including 15 in three fixtures since the World Cup.
  • Evan Ferguson could become the third-youngest player to score in three consecutive Premier League appearances, aged 18 years and 87 days. Danny Cadamarteri did so aged 18 years and six days, while Michael Owen was 18 years and 12 days old when he achieved the feat.
Liverpool
  • Liverpool have dropped 23 points in their 17 Premier League matches this campaign, already one more than their total tally last season.
  • The Reds have lost three of their last seven league games, as many defeats as in the previous 37 combined.
  • They can lose their opening two league fixtures of a calendar year for the first time since 1993.
  • Liverpool have lost as many as four Premier League away matches in a single season for the first time since 2017-18.
  • Mohamed Salah, with six goals, is the joint-leading Premier League goalscorer against Brighton, alongside Jamie Vardy and Harry Kane. Salah has made six Premier League assists versus the Seagulls - the most of any player.
  • Cody Gakpo can become the first Dutch player to score in an away fixture on his Premier League debut since Regi Blinker, who scored twice in Sheffield Wednesday's 3-2 loss at Aston Villa in March 1996.
  • Liverpool average 2.34 points per game with Virgil van Dijk since his league debut, in contrast to 1.89 points without him.
  • The Reds are, however, unbeaten in their last 14 league matches when Van Dijk hasn't started since losing 1-0 at home to Fulham in March 2021 (W11, D3).

Roberto De Zerbi's Liverpool Press Conference

Last edited:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Looking forward to this more than any other game vs Liverpool.

Despite the injuries and recent results, they are still a decent side so it'll not be a walk over.

However we have a very good chance to lay down a marker here for a top 7 finish this season.

Either way, it'll be a good game with both clubs going for it and I'll enjoy the ride.

3-1 to the boys in blue stripes. UTA.

:bloom:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Should be a good game.

I've been worried about Liverpool's firepower so was delighted to see no Firminho, Diaz, Jota or Nunez. Then I read they'll still have Gakpo and Salah and that Salah has six goals and six assists against us. So even down to the Harry Redknapp bare bones they still have formidable attacking options.

I'm going to plump for another thrill a minute 3-3 draw but with Trossard well and truly on the naughty step who will be our goal scoring hero this time?

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Liverpool aren’t at their best right now, which means THERE’S NO WAY we can lose this!!

Up the Albion :albion2:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The weather is a little "Dwayne" out there right now, and even the dog doesn't seem interested, but it's forecasted to get better just before kick off and we should be in for a belter.

Brand new red shirts are being dug out of draws from Torquay to Basildon and several Mickeys In Disguise are wondering if they can sit on their hands when they score. Let's send them back to, er, wherever crying into their fake scouse.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
For the first time in history we have a team than can compete with Liverpool ( ok, I know we won up there in the 80’s but that was unexpected) We got a good draw against them already, today’s result is up for grabs.
Having said that ,we know that they are a top team , no pushovers.
I would be disappointed with losing and content with a draw.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
For the first time in history we have a team than can compete with Liverpool ( ok, I know we won up there in the 80’s but that was unexpected) We got a good draw against them already, today’s result is up for grabs.
  • Brighton & Hove Albion's solitary win in the past 16 meetings in all competitions was 1-0 away in the league on 3 February 2021.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Could be a washout, hope not, hope not..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230114_081310_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230114_081310_Google.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 24

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
The weather is a little "Dwayne" out there right now, and even the dog doesn't seem interested, but it's forecasted to get better just before kick off and we should be in for a belter.

Brand new red shirts are being dug out of draws from Torquay to Basildon and several Mickeys In Disguise are wondering if they can sit on their hands when they score. Let's send them back to, er, wherever crying into their fake scouse.
Looking at the BBC weather app my arrival in the coach park around 2pm will be like the second coming with the weather breaking perfectly.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Funnily enough this the first time against Liverpool that a draw has become only acceptable in my eyes. Don’t get me wrong, a defeat will not be a disgrace or embarrassment, but it will be an opportunity gone astray. We are on the cusp of something very special, I have been supporting for nigh on 50 years, let’s keep push, push, push and get to that euphoric place.

If we could do it again in the Cup in a fortnight, a marker will have been laid.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Could be a washout, hope not, hope not..
The Amex pitch drains incredibly well. It's been designed that way with a slight decline towards each touch line.

My son was a mascot for the Leicester game in Hughton's last season when the weather was exactly like this and I was able to stand and watch him warm up right behind the dugouts. There's a picture of me in fully soaked wet weather gear, yet the pitch played perfectly and there was no standing water anywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here