dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
World quality: Bissouma
Prem quality: Dunk, Cucurella, Lallana,
Will be Prem quality: Sanchez, Webster, Trossard, Moder, Lamptey
All the rest - very servicable Prem players

With some good (to great) youngsters coming through in large numbers.

It's starting to happen isn't it.

Sanchez (picked for Spain), Webster (better than £50m White) and Trossard (plays for Belgium) are already comfortably Prem quality IMO (as is a fit Welbeck)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Good old VAR, man of the match, hehe.

VAR didn't make the decisions. All three were by the lino. The ref took his decisions and VAR didn't overrule. Any could have gone either way, but none were outrageous errors. Just been some strange inconsistency from the BBC pundits, both saying that the penalty shouldn't have been given because Vestergard was being impeded when he handballed. They then went on to say that Barnes wasn't interfering with play, overlooking that in both cases, he had his hands on Sanchez when the corners were delivered.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
VAR didn't make the decisions. All three were by the lino. The ref took his decisions and VAR didn't overrule. Any could have gone either way, but none were outrageous errors. Just been some strange inconsistency from the BBC pundits, both saying that the penalty shouldn't have been given because Vestergard was being impeded when he handballed. They then went on to say that Barnes wasn't interfering with play, overlooking that in both cases, he had his hands on Sanchez when the corners were delivered.

Watching that back on motd NM was fouling Ostigaard for that pen
But Barnes was interfering for both disallowed goals imho
But hey I will happily take that result

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
For the 2 disallowed goals it all really boils down to how you class the player as 'active'. Barnes job was to hang around the keeper, get in the way and generally be a nuisance. The ref and the var clearly interpreted this as making him active on both occasions, whether or not he was in the line of sight. There have been a few of these this season - and the offside has been given every time. It'd be interesting to know if they are working to some directive on this.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
For the 2 disallowed goals it all really boils down to how you class the player as 'active'. Barnes job was to hang around the keeper, get in the way and generally be a nuisance. The ref and the var clearly interpreted this as making him active on both occasions, whether or not he was in the line of sight. There have been a few of these this season - and the offside has been given every time. It'd be interesting to know if they are working to some directive on this.

It’s plainly a tactic Glad the official s were wise to it today

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I feel like people are ignoring the Tarkowski challenge in the build up to the Burnley goal and how that was a marker for the season - along with other challenges over the opening weekends - that have been highlighted in previous weeks by various talking heads making it clear; refs are allowing more physicality this season. Last season that would absolutely have been a foul. This season? Not really. Wasn't worse that any of the challenges on Ronaldo that weren't given as penalties (admittedly with penalties refs are also said to be considering how much it seems the player is trying to buy the penalty, and Ron certainly looked to be trying to buy them).

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Watching that back on motd NM was fouling Ostigaard for that pen
But Barnes was interfering for both disallowed goals imho
But hey I will happily take that result

I'd agree. Maupay was fouling him, but referees don't seem to be too hot on this kind of dark arts jostling for advantage so far this season. Neal was on the wrong side of it when Tarkowski gave him a double handed shove to the floor when Burnley scored on the first day. Shearer's reaction that time was something like 'Not a foul. Maupay needs to be stronger. Barnes was obviously positioned where he was to block Sanchez from coming, presumably planned by Brendan Rodgers or his coaching staff, so him saying that Barnes was not active seems a mite silly.

Jul 25, 2021
Sanchez (picked for Spain), Webster (better than £50m White) and Trossard (plays for Belgium) are already comfortably Prem quality IMO (as is a fit Welbeck)

Totally agree with all of that. Trossard has been brilliant this season. He's really starting to show top class ability now. The way he beat those 3 defenders in the box today showed why Belgium select him. He can change a game with an individual piece of magic better than anyone else in our team I believe. I'm confident we're going to see more of those Brentford moments from him this season too. He's finally clicked with us and now we're getting the best of him. Exciting times indeed.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
In the cold light of Monday morning I look at the table and we are 4th ! Yes 4th in the Premiership .
We have 12 points. Last year it took until December to get that.
Just one defeat, and four victories. We are among the big boys now.
It won’t last......... but let’s enjoy it while it does......

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i watched that game on the biggest tv screen in the southern hemisphere ( contentious) the other game that was on was the manu wham game , out of about 250 supporters there were probably 150 reds 50 hammers 50 leicester and moi.......oh how the foxes fans abused me when a bawled out "that's a yard offside...!!!!" and o how a laughed when the goal was struck from the ledger......a lot of the manu fans were pissing themselves , a great night and a sore head this morning ....tequila , champagne and bulmers...bloody lethal...:eek:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
In the cold light of Monday morning I look at the table and we are 4th ! Yes 4th in the Premiership .
We have 12 points. Last year it took until December to get that.
Just one defeat, and four victories. We are among the big boys now.
It won’t last......... but let’s enjoy it while it does......

I just had a quick look at the PL archive - in our previous PL seasons it's taken us 10, 10, 10 and 14 games to get to 12 points - this season we're there with 5.

To double that to 24 points, it took until games 25, 20, 21 and 22. Reckon we can get there earlier this season?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
i watched that game on the biggest tv screen in the southern hemisphere ( contentious) the other game that was on was the manu wham game , out of about 250 supporters there were probably 150 reds 50 hammers 50 leicester and moi.......oh how the foxes fans abused me when a bawled out "that's a yard offside...!!!!" and o how a laughed when the goal was struck from the ledger......a lot of the manu fans were pissing themselves , a great night and a sore head this morning ....tequila , champagne and bulmers...bloody lethal...:eek:

The SCENES.

_111930082_harbourhouse.jpg

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Brendan Rodgers has now said that Harvey Barnes was following half time instructions by blocking off Rob Sanchez from coming for corners: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19591019.robert-sanchezs-role-two-disallowed-leicester-goals/

Presumably, the instruction was 'Get tight on the goalkeeper. Block him from coming for high balls, but make sure that you don't interfere with play.'

He then has the front to complain about the disallowed goals? The duplicity of some managers is astounding. The officials did an excellent job.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Brendan Rodgers has now said that Harvey Barnes was following half time instructions by blocking off Rob Sanchez from coming for corners: https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19591019.robert-sanchezs-role-two-disallowed-leicester-goals/

Presumably, the instruction was 'Get tight on the goalkeeper. Block him from coming for high balls, but make sure that you don't interfere with play.'

He then has the front to complain about the disallowed goals? The duplicity of some managers is astounding. The officials did an excellent job.

Either there was an instruction to Barnes to do that or we saw him standing on the keeper and started our zone higher to create an offside channel or both. It happening once could have been simply how that corner played out but happening more than once was tactical from someone. Once Barnes tries to block off Sanchez he becomes active and interfering. Shearer was talking nonsense on MOTD2 last night. The officials got it spot on.

While we're at it [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] cheekily asked me after the game if I was still against VAR :lolol:

It was a difficult answer but, on balance, I am because I believe the assistant on the West side gave all three decisions correctly and VAR just backed him up (the third being that he confirmed to the ref the handball decision). In the good old days all three decisions would have been the same, wouldn't they?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Well yes, but isn't it more cognitive dissonance rather than duplicity?

I mean, it seems that he genuinely cannot see the connection between the instruction and the outcome

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I like Shearer as pundit, but I had turn it off when he was talking utter garbage last night. The officials got the offsides right, they were both clear.

It was archetypal Shearer at his worst, domineering the discussion with his vehement blinkered views. My way or the highway zzzzzzzz.

Leaving a token 20 seconds to talk about Cucurella.

Pathetically managed by the programme, for example, they could also have looked at Trossard’s brilliance and the way he dovetailed with Maupay.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
It was archetypal Shearer at his worst, domineering the discussion with his vehement blinkered views. My way or the highway zzzzzzzz.

Leaving a token 20 seconds to talk about Cucurella.

Pathetically managed by the programme, for example, they could also have looked at Trossard’s brilliance and the way he dovetailed with Maupay.

Having just read through entire thread i think it is clear that most , if not all , would agree wholeheartedly with you and not Shearer .
Also agree re Trossard , it was great to see him getting a huge round of applause when he came over to take corners in the first half , a player who i feel was much underappreciated in the past .:bowdown:
Regarding Cucurella whilst i was amazed at his stamina and contribution going forward i did think defensively he was sometimes not quite in the right place at the right time ( bypassed too easily for their goal ) . Still early days though and if he was too great GP would have nothing to work on !!!!
Or maybe i'm being a fool , it wouldn't be the first time .:)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
H
Regarding Cucurella whilst i was amazed at his stamina and contribution going forward i did think defensively he was sometimes not quite in the right place at the right time ( bypassed too easily for their goal ) . Still early days though and if he was too great GP would have nothing to work on !!!!
Or maybe i'm being a fool , it wouldn't be the first time .:)

Harsh on Cucurella, that was one hell of a goal, the back heal was sublime. I even applauded it my head after swearing very loudly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here