Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Fulham *** Official Match Thread ***

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Agreed, their goal came from a break in play when one of their players pretended to be injured, they came with a game plan that ultimately worked, but it’s just so lame and unnecessary. The referee was weak and should have put a stop to it from the get go. Shame about the result, we seemed comfortable in the first half, they then ”broke” play up in the second half and did a number on us, it happens, just hard to take.
oh well, I’ve got a Melton Mowbray pork pie with my name on it in the fridge, maybe that will cheer me up….
I really miss a pork pie, would cheer me up too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Are you Jason Steele's mum or something?

It is not a secret that he's exceptional on the ball, but a terrible shot stopper.

It's a niche that is pretty unique - but if he was judged on his shot stopping alone he'd be at a lower Championship club or even lower.
There’s a reason why Steele spent most of his career at Championship or lower and had never made a Premier League appearance until his early 30s: most managers prioritise the shot-stopping and box-dominating side of a keeper’s game.

However, his footballing skills fit RDZ’s preferred style of play like a glove. If he believes that that offsets the weaker side of his game, then fair enough; he knows far more about the game than me. I’m realistic enough to accept that we can never expect any outstanding saves though - the sort that are worth a goal. He just doesn’t have it in his locker.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Enough! E-effin’-nough!

This play acting has GOT to stop. It’s all well and good being more generous with injury time but it still breaks the flow of the match and prevents teams pressing home an advantage when they have the momentum.

I’m pretty sure their goal came straight after yet another incident when we’d gained possession only for play to be stopped when one of their players went down after developing acute fear of the sky or something. Then we immediately lose the ball et voila.

The 30 second thing is no disincentive at all. For that to have any teeth, it should be a case of any injury requiring a break in play means five minutes off the pitch. We’d see an end to that nonsense immediately.

I’m mightily peeved right now so I’m open to suggestions as to why that won’t work but right this second it feels like a pretty bloody good idea.
The answer is SO simple and has been for ages - physio is allowed on whilst the play continues. They'd jump back up like a jack in the box.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The answer is SO simple and has been for ages - physio is allowed on whilst the play continues. They'd jump back up like a jack in the box.
Quite a few of their 'injuries' were only a yard or so from the byline. The ref should just play on, and tell them to roll off the pitch if they want treatment.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Quite a few of their 'injuries' were only a yard or so from the byline. The ref should just play on, and tell them to roll off the pitch if they want treatment.
Even more reason to call on the physio and keep the play going - they'd be up in 5 seconds. We are as bad as anyone in this - it's endemic in the game and there needs to be a will to stop it. I'd also have a post match video panel - any player who is proved to be feigning injury (i.e videos show he wasn't touched) or holds his head when there was no head contact is given a red and automatic 3 match ban.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
1) if we play Ferguson then we need to get ball out wide and get him in the box where he can do some damage. His hold up play is very poor and not sure whether he actually won an aerial dual but he knows where the goal is
2) when under pressure players need to be allowed just to clear it. Simple foot through the ball .
3) players need to get the ball forward quicker, we play 5 balls when 3 would do and it seems to get worse the nearer we get to the opposition's goal
4) stop rotation for rotations sake. Rotate the two players (gross and mitoma) who need a break.

andys320

Jan 10, 2014
Fulham should have been down to 10 men, disappointing VAR didn't intervene even to get ref to review.
Steele is not an elite Premier league keeper, but nothing he did today cost us a goal and in fact he saved us at the end.
Gross and Mitoma need a rest, both poor by their own high standards today.
Veltman should always start when fit.
Buonanotte has bulked up, needs to play to improve and he will.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well I know it is just after the game and I was totally f***ed off with that performance so I am going to make just one point.

we score…they looked poor…go for the jugular…not our style…instead dunk and Webster and igor show us all a masterclass of passing to each other whist Fulham sit back and say “ is that it lads, ok we will hang back and let everyone admire how skillfull the opposition are in their own half” …all of the Brighton fans clap and start doing the ole cheer as we pass it sideways and backwards.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
Was the plan after scoring just to go for a clean sheet as that doesn’t really work looking at the previous 20 games . Said all game we need two goals . Fulham were one of the worst teams I have seen but remember it all two well their play acting and then scoring and lo and behold !!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Even more reason to call on the physio and keep the play going - they'd be up in 5 seconds. We are as bad as anyone in this - it's endemic in the game and there needs to be a will to stop it. I'd also have a post match video panel - any player who is proved to be feigning injury (i.e videos show he wasn't touched) or holds his head when there was no head contact is given a red and automatic 3 match ban.
I agree that retrospective punishment should be the way ahead. Clubs will soon work out ways for physios th 'influence'mthe game when running on or off, and the refs are too weak to enforce rules like 30 seconds (or however long) off the field after treatment. Also, there's a danger that someone might actually be seriously injured and need immediate treatment, and no referee will want to be the one that prevents that.

One game retrospective suspension for the first offence, three match ban for the second - and three match ban plus a one point deduction for the third That should do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here