Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Charlton Athletic *** Official Match Thread ***

For me, a game of plusses and minuses:

Minuses:
Holla needs to do more to keep out Ince/Toko - was overshadowed by Buyens in midfield
Stockdale - not clear yet if his shot-stopping is as good as PIG's
Crofts - not involved enough and rightly dragged off
CMS - frustrating, pace doesn't seem to me making up for ? touch as it used to
Generally - too frail on the counterattack and not enough quality with ball in their final third

Plusses:
Dunk - clearly now we have a big set piece weapon
Tex/Colunga movement - they'll have more effective games with final ball but they are a joy to watch, on a dfifferent level to our attacking play last season
Bennett - improvement on last Saturday, always involved
JFC - for a much maligned player I thought he had his best game of the season so far
Generally, good team spirit to battle on against setbacks

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Charlton. Big, well organised and pay two banks of 4 at the back .Forecast top 10 for them but they don't look top 6 material. Maybe we are very good then? Maybe?

Really? They reminded me of Millwall at the start of last season, just a bunch of big old lumps that came for a draw and got lucky.there wasn't a footballer among them. We bossed that game from start to finish and if we carry on in that vein this will be the most entertaining season at the Amex so far.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Really? They reminded me of Millwall at the start of last season, just a bunch of big old lumps that came for a draw and got lucky.there wasn't a footballer among them. We bossed that game from start to finish and if we carry on in that vein this will be the most entertaining season at the Amex so far.

Think your being hugely unfair to Charlton who, in my eyes, defended very well and were well organised.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Would disagree with that, 17 and 14 looked decent.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Think your being hugely unfair to Charlton who, in my eyes, defended very well and were well organised.

Theres a difference between being well organised and sticking 9 players behind the ball. They reminded me of the kid at school who's shit at football but gets picked because he's good at getting in the way . As I said just like Millwall at the start of last season, plenty of enthusiasm but not a lot else........and that's not enough to get you a top 10 finish.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Have seen Charlton this month, and they do look a different proposition to last season.

I still expect Albion to win if they turn up and play half-decent but Vetokele is very sharp and if we make mistakes he is going to score, already grabbed a goal in three of his first four Championship games.

Charlton only really have one striker who can be relied on for goals (the fast reacting Vetokele)

Fair play fellas, both called it. He looked a very good player and caused us problems, on the rare foray into Albion territory by Charlton.

lola

Jul 28, 2014
Finland
How was that game generally? Is it good and interesting to watch if you compare that for last season? In radio or other wise it is hard to tell for here in Finland what that is? Any major weakness / strength seen in there today or in this season? I´m just curious.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Theres a difference between being well organised and sticking 9 players behind the ball. They reminded me of the kid at school who's shit at football but gets picked because he's good at getting in the way . As I said just like Millwall at the start of last season, plenty of enthusiasm but not a lot else........and that's not enough to get you a top 10 finish.

A point away versus us is a good result for most championship teams. Even more so now that we have the players we do.
There will be plenty of sides worse than Charlton this year.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How was that game generally? Is it good and interesting to watch if you compare that for last season? In radio or other wise it is hard to tell for here in Finland what that is?
It's very exciting compared to last season. We pass the ball quickly and push forward, but we don't have much to aim at in the box when we get there. For some reason we haven't had any defensive training sessions yet.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Very poor we should have won see the bbc stats; 64% posession us 4 shots on target to their 2 and 12 corners to tbeir 2. Charlton a very negative side who are obviously scared of this division.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Very poor we should have won see the bbc stats; 64% posession us 4 shots on target to their 2 and 12 corners to tbeir 2.

Luck. There's no small measure of it involved, and you can't coach it or aquire it during a transfer window.

Sometimes the pilots throw all the correct switches, and the crew does all the right things, and the plane still crashes.
Shit happens.
Thinking upon it doesn't sell airline seats, exactly, though.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The difference was Greer, playing 15 yards behind the rest of the defence he played both of their attackers onside for the first & was ludicrously rash and overcommitted himself rather than blocking for the 2nd.
Apart from that Baldock, our most valuable player, match fit from BC should have started or at least come on at HT and NOT for two touches in 7 mins after we go behind
Kazenga played in wrong position & the one time he was out left he crossed for the equaliser
Colunga up top on his own was a complete waste of time after CMS went off
Dunk Genius
Poor tactics all round, worrying

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I found the game encouraging (Dunk & Holla) and equally frustrating (no right wing presence or pace upfront) at the same time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here