Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal *** Official Match Thread ***

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
Decent effort against a quality side. Arsenal looked lethal every time they entered the final third. Martinelli, Saka and Odegaard are the type of players who will win you the league. Arteta appears to have given them a mean streak and made them hard to beat. That said, it would have been such a different game with Caicedo, Mac and Veltman in the team. I think we could have taken them. Also, Billy Gilmour looked good. Some of his one touch passing through the lines was excellent. Great to have competition for midfield spots.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
That 3rd goal was so marginal it is no wonder some subscribe to a Big 6 conspiracy theory. The move starts from a throw-in so Mitoma is not “coming back from an off-side position.” The brush off Fergies shoulder is so marginal nobody in the ground said anything. Alan Smith speculated that they were looking for a possible handball.

They still work so hard to find any excuse to write-off a goal you have to wonder if the officials actually hate the game!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Yes...VAR is appalling. Technically correct but who needs a slide rule approach to a fast moving game?
I faulted Sanchez for 2 of their goals , from the replay. But a spirited performance and it is good to see young players scoring... As for the result? Well, that’s football...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Yes...VAR is appalling. Technically correct but who needs a slide rule approach to a fast moving game?
I faulted Sanchez for 2 of their goals , from the replay. But a spirited performance and it is good to see young players scoring... As for the result? Well, that’s football...
not sure it is technically correct. With the current technology there is no way to know precisely when the ball has left the boot of the player making the pass. So margins as fine as our (not) third goal are impossible to have confidence in. I think that's the argument for a margin of error - which has to be moor than a stud length I'd have thought.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Reflecting on the defeat in the cold light of day- one thing strikes. Yes we’re are very brave under RDZ. But I think at times there is still a place for needing to be a bit more compact and balanced playing top 3 teams. Potter did that very well, CH not so with 12 men behind the ball.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Tross should be dropped for a couple of games, he didn't want to be there.
No he didn't want to be there.
He never wants to be a 'false 9'.

Playing Leandro in his least favoured position doesn't do anyone at the club, from Mr Bloom down to Mr Trossard, any favours at all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the cold light of day, I've come out swinging at an Armchair Arsenal colleague who couldn't wait to start the text bantz, last night:-

Europa Conference for your boys if they're going to poop the bed that badly every time the opposition attack.
You'll not win anything playing that scared.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think Tross should be dropped for a couple of games, he didn't want to be there.
Being frustrated with his form or things not coming off tactically - it happens - but does not mean (and how would you know) that he “doesn’t want to be there” or any of the other suggestions such as he hibernates for the winter! , or has already accepted he’s being sold and “looks miserable”.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I would never leave him out. Always capable of doing something different. Poor as a lone striker if like yesterday midfielders didnt get near him. Surprised taken off as Ferguson coming on was the support he needed.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Reflecting on the defeat in the cold light of day- one thing strikes. Yes we’re are very brave under RDZ. But I think at times there is still a place for needing to be a bit more compact and balanced playing top 3 teams. Potter did that very well, CH not so with 12 men behind the ball.
This, even 3-1 down still genuinely believed we could get a point.

Appreciative of the effort to move forward regardless of the current score line.

Great to see he’s started blooding the youth as well

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Based on watching the highlights, a 2 minute interview and the fact he’s not plastered in tattoos I’m very encouraged by Ferguson. I feel he has a future.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The MacAllister Goal against Leicester (for sheer quality and wow factor), and the Mitoma Goal last night (for what it meant in timing, context and momentum) are the two most 'thrilling' goals VAR have ruined for me - for no real reason. Not one person would have considered either of those goals to be offside, not one person would have complained if they had stood.

Still ruining football for me I'm afraid.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The MacAllister Goal against Leicester (for sheer quality and wow factor), and the Mitoma Goal last night (for what it meant in timing, context and momentum) are the two most 'thrilling' goals VAR have ruined for me - for no real reason. Not one person would have considered either of those goals to be offside, not one person would have complained if they had stood.

Still ruining football for me I'm afraid.
Exactly no player, manager or fan appealed either of these goals yet a referee miles away in a portacabin with his rule book and ruler in hand pours over ever possible reason to chalk it off and ruin the game. I have hated VAR since the idea was first floated and hate it even more now it is in and functioning it is a goal prevention system and is sucking the life out the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here