Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Arsenal *** Official Match Thread ***

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Alan Smith was a disgrace last night.

How could they have a commentator that blatantly biased on, it was unbearable. The second goal he wanted chalked off as well, felt like a conspiracy listening to that nonsense. Also the fact that after 2-0 the commentators completely wrote off the game. I would have loved it if we had got it back to 4-4.

Other weird thing for me last night was hearing all the chants about supporting your local team. I was sat in North London watching the game so it was confusing to me. Do loads of kids now support arsenal in Sussex ?
Alan Smith is a disgrace full stop.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No he didn't want to be there.
He never wants to be a 'false 9'.

Playing Leandro in his least favoured position doesn't do anyone at the club, from Mr Bloom down to Mr Trossard, any favours at all.
While that sounds reasonable, you'd think the manager knows Trossard doesn't want to play there, and the manager has decided that for that game (with the available players) he has no better choice. It should be pretty easy to talk to Trossard about that: I know this isn't where you want to play, but we're stuck and have no choice, so just do your best for this game, and we'll get you back in position as soon as possible.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Others have mentioned it already but VAR focuses so much on the player receiving the ball but it seems very inexact about when the ball is played to them. Without knowing the precise moment the ball is played it’s pointless working out where the potentially offside player is.
I agree. Selecting the frame the moment the ball is played isn’t an exact science. And what if the exact moment of contact is between frames?

This is why I suggest drawing the line a lot thicker; thicker line “compensates” for inaccuracies when the ball is played.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Good job showing some fight in the second half, but never gonna get 3 points with shit defending like we had.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Just watched MOTD. Not sure the commentators realised we had 4 first choice players missing , two of who are vital or indeed even noticed our players were on the park. In the sum up they said basically how they won't collapse because they are so good yet they conceded 3 goals (yes one chalked off but it did not affect how they defended it) and whilst they didn't show it pretty sure it was a penalty based on very clear shirt pull on Sarmiento.

I sit in Upper WSU near halfway line, Dunk and Colwill could have passed the ball out much quicker., they missed lots of runs. Think manager should have started with Veltman , a much better defender than Lamptey and it was more important considering we were missing Caicedo. It was also evident that we had little pace in the team when defending and our midfield couldn't get back which I guess adding Veltman would have made worse BUT I don't think he would have been caught out so easily.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think VAR could be drastically improved if it was used with the spirit of the offside law as opposed to the letter. The law was brought in to deter players from hanging around high up field and waiting for a direct long ball. The intent and purpose of the law achieved its aim with Mitoma’s goal. But to make it workable it needs clear and well defined rules so we end up with a great goal being disallowing on a technicality. It’s quite simple, make those stupid lines a lot thicker so only very obvious offsides are given. If the FA said they’d do this I struggle to think anyone will object.
Totally agree, it tries to be 'scientific' but still comes down to a human making a decision.....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just watched MOTD. Not sure the commentators realised we had 4 first choice players missing , two of who are vital or indeed even noticed our players were on the park. In the sum up they said basically how they won't collapse because they are so good yet they conceded 3 goals (yes one chalked off but it did not affect how they defended it) and whilst they didn't show it pretty sure it was a penalty based on very clear shirt pull on Sarmiento.

I sit in Upper WSU near halfway line, Dunk and Colwill could have passed the ball out much quicker., they missed lots of runs. Think manager should have started with Veltman , a much better defender than Lamptey and it was more important considering we were missing Caicedo. It was also evident that we had little pace in the team when defending and our midfield couldn't get back which I guess adding Veltman would have made worse BUT I don't think he would have been caught out so easily.
Yes our midfield was more Thomas the Tank Engine as opposed to their Bullet Trains. It was a painful watch sometimes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Totally agree, it tries to be 'scientific' but still comes down to a human making a decision.....
I’m always reminded of Danny Bakers “one‘s enough, how can even more referees make the game better?” response to the introduction of the 4th official.

Yoda

English & European
I think VAR could be drastically improved if it was used with the spirit of the offside law as opposed to the letter. The law was brought in to deter players from hanging around high up field and waiting for a direct long ball. The intent and purpose of the law achieved its aim with Mitoma’s goal. But to make it workable it needs clear and well defined rules so we end up with a great goal being disallowing on a technicality. It’s quite simple, make those stupid lines a lot thicker so only very obvious offsides are given. If the FA said they’d do this I struggle to think anyone will object.
One improvement I would like to see with the offside ruling when it comes to VAR, is to let the on field assistant (linesman) to make the initial call (even if they think it is marginal, still flag) and then use VAR to decide if they were right. Not putting every goal under the microscope.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One improvement I would like to see with the offside ruling when it comes to VAR, is to let the on field assistant (linesman) to make the initial call (even if they think it is marginal, still flag) and then use VAR to decide if they were right. Not putting every goal under the microscope.
If they flag marginal decisions they might stop play for a legitimate opportunity though? I personally think the lino should just get on with their job and flag as they see fit. If they allow a goal which is then subsequently deemed offside, chalk it off. If they flag, and stop a legitimate opportunity….oh well.

Yoda

English & European
If they flag marginal decisions they might stop play for a legitimate opportunity though? I personally think the lino should just get on with their job and flag as they see fit. If they allow a goal which is then subsequently deemed offside, chalk it off. If they flag, and stop a legitimate opportunity….oh well.
In that first instance, they should still keep their flag down until the move breaks down like they do now though.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I suspect that pre VAR mitomas first goal would have been incorrectly flagged. Conversely the disallowed second would never have even aroused suspicion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here