Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AFC Ajax *** Official Match Thread ***

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Tourist

Atmosphere was great in the North tonight... 🤔 loved it - wide variety of chants throughout too which spread right across
Up until last season I was a season ticket holder in the North Stand and I would often read on here how quiet people thought the north stand was, I have moved the the west upper nearer the south than north stand and I can now see what people were saying before it’s totally silent must be the stadium acoustics

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Something you never see in the UK which I enjoyed watching at the end of the game was the Ajax players going right over to their fans to chat (I presume) with some of their top boys - would have loved to know what was being said. Seemed a very mixed reaction from their fans as they walked over- some very clearly abusing them/some clapping- I assume more for making the effort to go over than for the performance!
It happens a lot in Germany and Switzerland.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Around the 80 min mark? I might need to rewatch but think we kept the ball for about 5 minutes.
It was the passage prior to Dahoud coming on. I was half expecting the North Stand to start a rendition of "We're Brighton & Hove Albion, we're taking the piss" while our players made the opposition look silly.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The received wisdom is that we can demolish sides who come at us (Newcastle, Man U), but struggle to break down teams who come to defend (West Ham), and then we are vulnerable to counter attack.

For me, this was the first game this season in which we dominated the possession, were incisive in our finishing AND kept a clean sheet.
We took total football to Ajax, and we totalled them.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
That was such a fantastic and straightforward win with hardly any effort needed on our part.

I bet most of the players didn't even need a shower and the kit man will just put hang the kit back up ready to be used again on Sunday. Perfect

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Up until last season I was a season ticket holder in the North Stand and I would often read on here how quiet people thought the north stand was, I have moved the the west upper nearer the south than north stand and I can now see what people were saying before it’s totally silent must be the stadium acoustics
It is the acoustics. They are very weird. We are all hearing different versions of the same thing. From my perch in the WSU I have no complaints about the atmosphere at all.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It is the acoustics. They are very weird. We are all hearing different versions of the same thing. From my perch in the WSU I have no complaints about the atmosphere at all.
Yeah. I've said before that when I've been in the North Stand it's sounded loud. But when I've been in the far southern end of the East Stand, by the away fans, it's totally different. You can see the North Stand putting in a shift; you can see them all bouncing up and down and you know they're all belting out songs, maybe different ones admittedly, but they're all making a noise. However at the far end of the ground it sounds little louder than gentle waves lapping softly onto a moonlit sandy beach.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
I’ve been to every stand at least once and nearly every tier/section other than West Lower, and some of the corners. My take away is the same as others here, when in the North its LOUD, north sides sound good too, but further away not so much.

When further away, it’s clear that the North doesn’t actually hold that many people, also either end of it are never in sync, many of the European teams have conductors for this - AEK being the most obvious one, the poor guy didn’t watch a minute of the game! My other takeaway is that despite Norths incredible efforts, rest of the stadium is embarrassing silent and don’t even think about standing up for longer than 5 seconds. It’s a shame the rest of the stadium doesn’t join in with the songs

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I’ve been to every stand at least once and nearly every tier/section other than West Lower, and some of the corners. My take away is the same as others here, when in the North its LOUD, north sides sound good too, but further away not so much.

When further away, it’s clear that the North doesn’t actually hold that many people, also either end of it are never in sync, many of the European teams have conductors for this - AEK being the most obvious one, the poor guy didn’t watch a minute of the game! My other takeaway is that despite Norths incredible efforts, rest of the stadium is embarrassing silent and don’t even think about standing up for longer than 5 seconds. It’s a shame the rest of the stadium doesn’t join in with the songs
Whilst the rest of the fans are never going to match the North, as would happen in most grounds, I do feel that your statement is rather extreme -I sit in East Stand Upper, and joking aside about all the oldies, plenty of folk do join in and it can be quite raucous, I assure you.

el punal

Empty seats left by oldies like me, who despite taking painkillers, found the damp cold night air was making the arthritis hurt, and didn’t want to queue for ages for a bus to the P&R.

No abuse from me, but be thankful you were able to enjoy the game from the comfort of your warm comfortable armchair. Some of us made the effort to go, and endure pain whilst making the effort.
I was dreading yesterday. On Wednesday I was suffering with a temperature and general all round shittiness . Went to bed early dosed up with paracetamol but still felt lousy on Thursday morning. I thought - I’m not going to miss this game of all games. Luckily I had a lift so not too bad on the comfort front and although far from feeling great I managed to watch and enjoy the game. I got home around 1.00am happy but completely and utterly knackered. Was it worth it? You betcha! :ascarf:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was dreading yesterday. On Wednesday I was suffering with a temperature and general all round shittiness . Went to bed early dosed up with paracetamol but still felt lousy on Thursday morning. I thought - I’m not going to miss this game of all games. Luckily I had a lift so not too bad on the comfort front and although far from feeling great I managed to watch and enjoy the game. I got home around 1.00am happy but completely and utterly knackered. Was it worth it? You betcha! :ascarf:
I hope you feel better today.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

My son felt really unwell, he would’ve definitively missed any other game, but s European tie was special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here