Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AFC Ajax *** Official Match Thread ***

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Agreed. I thought the atmosphere was great too and it was a real atmosphere not some manufactured cheerleader nononsense
This. Proper reactive to what's actually going on on the pitch with a wide range of songs; not a woooaaaa drone and banging drum completely disconnected from the action on the pitch. So much better imo. Ajax fans were strange - very very muted for large parts and then random bursts of loud noise/bouncing around for about a minute before back to silence

Only time it dropped off for a while was the middle of the second half - I guess we'd been in total control for so long and the game had become pretty much a non-contest (apart from when they hit the post out of nowhere which woke everyone up again!)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Surprised at the 'disappointing atmosphere' posts. Went quiet for a while around 70 mins when it was obvious they weren't getting back into it, but it was really good for the most part in NWC and it would've stayed that way had the result been in doubt. We didn't have the moany twats that didn't sing that were in front and behind us for Athens which was nice as well, makes a big difference when you have proper supporters around you rather than daytrippers.

Would be good if we could somehow keep tickets for JCLs at the South end of the East Stand or something but I guess that's not realistic in practice.

Also thought their RB looked really good defensively, who knows if he is good going forward!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Agree with a lot of what’s being said on here.

Thought those RB looked amazing keeping Mitoma at bay, great battle out there, sign him up.

Would love to know how many passes we strung together before Pedros goal, I think it’ll be more than the Man U team wonder goal.

One thing people aren’t talking about much is how amazing the Fati goal was, the movements and pass from Adingra was absolutely magical and the run, first touch, and quick shot from Fati was genius.

Regarding atmosphere, I only watched on TV but it was noticeable loud at the start and then like a library for the last 30mins, really odd as I’d have thought they’d be more happiness and celebration at the scoreboard and dominance. Really noticeable was the amount of empty seats for the last 10-5mins of the game, which I think it such a shame for the players who put in a perfect shift (cue abuse from people who went calling me an armchair fan).

Yes, might be the South American in him but he was wriggling around in pain, would be gutted for him especially as he’d be the biggest gainer from the March injury.
That was my initial thought ….but it continued long after the final whistle

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
just spoke to one of my colleagues, an Ajax fan, and apparently the right back, (Anton Gaaei), was responsible for terrible mistakes against Feyenoord (Ajax's palace) a few weeks ago, (clip of said mistake) ... so maybe he'd be cheap!

I thought he was pretty terrible. One volleyed cross he attempted in the second half hit the back of the south stand, and generally the reason people are saying Mitoma played so well is because of the space this guys was giving him.

The nippy little Icelandic striker they brought on for the second half looks perfect for De Zerbi ball however…

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Agree with a lot of what’s being said on here.

Thought those RB looked amazing keeping Mitoma at bay, great battle out there, sign him up.

Would love to know how many passes we strung together before Pedros goal, I think it’ll be more than the Man U team wonder goal.

One thing people aren’t talking about much is how amazing the Fati goal was, the movements and pass from Adingra was absolutely magical and the run, first touch, and quick shot from Fati was genius.

Regarding atmosphere, I only watched on TV but it was noticeable loud at the start and then like a library for the last 30mins, really odd as I’d have thought they’d be more happiness and celebration at the scoreboard and dominance. Really noticeable was the amount of empty seats for the last 10-5mins of the game, which I think it such a shame for the players who put in a perfect shift (cue abuse from people who went calling me an armchair fan).

Yes, might be the South American in him but he was wriggling around in pain, would be gutted for him especially as he’d be the biggest gainer from the March injury.
I’ve just counted it was 41 passes and 2 minutes of solid possession.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What I really enjoyed about the game last night was the complete lack of drama.

Ajax are poor at the moment and we took full advantage of a timid side and got the job done. We played the team not the name or occasion. On the front foot early and never really stepped off it. We showed good patience in possession and we were careful to not give it away, 732 completed passes (93% accuracy rate). Given the importance of the result it was reassuring that we just took care of business.

An excellent all round performance.

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
Surprised at the 'disappointing atmosphere' posts. Went quiet for a while around 70 mins when it was obvious they weren't getting back into it, but it was really good for the most part in NWC and it would've stayed that way had the result been in doubt. We didn't have the moany twats that didn't sing that were in front and behind us for Athens which was nice as well, makes a big difference when you have proper supporters around you rather than daytrippers.

Would be good if we could somehow keep tickets for JCLs at the South end of the East Stand or something but I guess that's not realistic in practice.

Also thought their RB looked really good defensively, who knows if he is good going forward!
Atmosphere was wierd. Was in a different spot to usual near half way in east upper. NS did a good variety of stuff and some of it was loud. Loads of other pl home crowds don't bother singing as much so we are actually better than most but just can't be heard because there are two different groups FFS. If the NS sung together it would actually be good. There were a few in the block I was in really trying and we did join in but sometimes we just could not because it was a case of picking which song to join in with.. Was v quiet for last 15.mins though.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
[/QUOTE]
I thought he was pretty terrible. One volleyed cross he attempted in the second half hit the back of the south stand, and generally the reason people are saying Mitoma played so well is because of the space this guys was giving him.
Yer he is hated at Ajax. Was getting slammed last night by Dutch TV apparently

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
On the BBC match report comments section, we've got congratulations from fans from Liverpool (several), Spurs, Chelsea, Fulham, Brentford, West Brom, Cambridge, Fiorentina (?), all of them unanimous in their praise.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Was the fire alarm going off when you were there? No one bothered about it and just carried in as normal.
Yes, no one seemed too bothered by it. I was glad when it stopped. The queue for McDonalds looked like it’d take a while!

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
was interesting to see Mitoma come in off the wing into the middle; great pass to JP to set up a chance in first half…. Would like to see more of that from

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
"Rubbish" in the eye of the beholder of course ha ha but imo the scarf twirling looked pretty good from my high up vantage of the whole stadium (North, West, bottom of East) . And certainly more than just one song. Ring of Fire/Freed from Desire was played post match too and the scarves had another decent display then and there was some ad hoc twirling in the match itself especially towards the end when the result was sealed. Also unusually scarves on show for GOSBTS.

I'm with you, thought it looked good and wished we did it more often

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Random Polish referee tombola, anything could happen. Already carded 2 Brighton players for not much.
IMG_3433.jpeg

Was expecting a tough night for Milner and let this run based on the refs keeness to book Albion players, alas!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Couldn't attend last night as i had a lot of work on, which took me to the campus at Sussex University. Unbeliveable how much the noise from the amex travels along the valley. I was standing outside a south facing door shielded by a large building from the direction of the amex when i heard a massive roar. It must have been bouncing off the building in front of me and sounded like i was literally right outside the stadium. It was unmistakably a goal celebration. So you at the ground were making a decent noise, because that wasn't the only time i heard loud crowd noise during the evening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here