[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AEK Athens *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So proud of our lads tonight. Not the result I wanted, but still so proud of us being here and the performance we gave. We’ll have learnt some lessons from tonight. On to the next one.
Yes. Despite the result, despite the disappointment, and despite the below-par performance - that's our first ever European game, and I can't help but be proud. I think there was a combination of nerves, not knowing quite what to expect and losing Dunk. But, to be honest - I still enjoyed it. I don't get depressed at defeats nowadays - because I'm always confident that we can win against the odds later on. Still wouldn't be surprised if we qualified from the group. We'll learn from this.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Shame. Just weren’t at it at all tonight. Other than Joao Pedro and Adingra’s cameo, no one can say they had a good game.

Hopefully a bit of a lesson for the players and coaching staff and we’ll put what we’ve learnt into the next five games to get the results we need.

Positives - what a night for the club and - Joao Pedro! A future Brazil number 9 and superstar. What a player!

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
Wasn't like watching Albion of late. Shame for our first European game. Tbf, AEK did a job on us but we didn't help ourselves with some poor defending and lack of penetration up front. Probably a couple of changes too many. Ajax and Marseille now looking even more scary.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Mediocre performance, but I think more credit should go to the opposition.

A seasoned European club, used to winning in their domestic leagues, displayed a tenacious and determined performance with a game plan that done us.

We weren't terrible, or even poor, but their aggressive man-marking was something we just don't know in the Premier League.

We just couldn't break them down. Our top performers such as March and Mitoma, just had no joy, as they marked us out of the game.

Missing Dunk was the difference tonight IMO. Not just his defensive qualities, but also his captancy. We gave away 3 really poor goals, although credit to their set pieces, which were top drawer. Can't see this happening if he was on the pitch.

Fati barely put a foot wrong, decent debuts for him and Igor, didn't really put a foot wrong.

All in all, we deserved to lose. This was an eye opener to European football, which is a completely different flavour to Premier League football.

I don't think we should feel too downhearted though, as all ties are winnable in this competition. I'd rather a defeat came here than in the Premier League. I am still optimistic that we will still qualify.

All in all, well done AEK Athens, deserved win. Looking forward to the next tie, as we have learnt a lot tonight.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Well that was a sobering wake up call and no mistake. I thought they looked like a team of bouncers and worked their socks off to spoil our game. Fair play to them they did a job on us which teams will do if they work hard enough. I thought they would run out of steam but they didn’t until very near the end. They could give Aston Villa lessons on time wasting but that’s Europa football for you. Grudgingly they can play a bit as well, a good team imo.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Difficult night. Poor defensively. Just not sure the balance of the selection was right.
We really needed Ferguson for the last 20 minutes or so.
Also, we didn’t have the break of the ball tonight. Just see the third goal... deflection off Steele back to their player and straight in the corner.
Still, it’s very Brighton.
Win at Man United. Lose to AEK.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
AEK were good, they had studied us well. Fati showed glimpses of promise, Gross has a bad game, his passing was really sloppy. Defence looks lost without Dunk.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
Our set pieces are beyond laughable..
We needed a proper right back (Veltman)
I've already moved on.. Bournemouth next...

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Difficult night. Poor defensively. Just not sure the balance of the selection was right.
We really needed Ferguson for the last 20 minutes or so.
Also, we didn’t have the break of the ball tonight. Just see the third goal... deflection off Steele back to their player and straight in the corner.
Still, it’s very Brighton.
Win at Man United. Lose to AEK.
United are terrible though. Can barely run.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Can we hire Tony Pulis just for corner taking training?
Actually - we weren't too bad at the corner taking aspect tonight. For a change, most of them beat the first man. It's just we didn't get on the end of them.

A seasoned European club, used to winning in their domestic leagues, displayed a tenacious and determined performance with a game plan that done us.

We weren't terrible, or even poor, but their aggressive man-marking was something we just don't know in the Premier League.

We just couldn't break them down. Our top performers such as March and Mitoma, just had no joy, as they marked us out of the game.

Missing Dunk was the difference tonight IMO. Not just his defensive qualities, but also his captancy. We gave away 3 really poor goals, although credit to their set pieces, which were top drawer. Can't see this happening if he was on the pitch.

Fati barely put a foot wrong, decent debuts for him and Igor, didn't really put a foot wrong.

All in all, we deserved to lose. This was an eye opener to European football, which is a completely different flavour to Premier League football.

I don't think we should feel too downhearted though, as all ties are winnable in this competition. I'd rather a defeat came here than in the Premier League. I am still optimistic that we will still qualify.

All in all, well done AEK Athens, deserved win. Looking forward to the next tie, as we have learnt a lot tonight.
Good post - sums up my thoughts really.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That moment you arrive to go toe to toe with Europe's elite ball players and find out Sean Dyche's Burnley have turned up to turn you over.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I think we played ok overall and better in the second half when they were tiring (a bit). That said, we've got to do better at keeping the ball out of our f***ing goal. Fold like a deck chair. Powder puff.

Please beat Bournemouth on Saturday. Would be great with Dunk, Ferguson and Veltman to come in.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Shame. Just weren’t at it at all tonight. Other than Joao Pedro and Adingra’s cameo, no one can say they had a good game.

Hopefully a bit of a lesson for the players and coaching staff and we’ll put what we’ve learnt into the next five games to get the results we need.

Positives - what a night for the club and - Joao Pedro! A future Brazil number 9 and superstar. What a player!
That's funny, I thought Pedro was another below par. Trying too many flicks and tricks! AEK did get the rub of the green, but you make your own luck by being in the situations. Hey ho

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports